Florence/Pisa

MeredithNC

To get exactly what you want you'll probably need to either pay for a private tour with one of the car service companies (there are several that come highly recommended by CC members) or take the train and go DIY.

Are you referring to the statue of David by Michelangelo?  If so it's found in the Accademia.  Advance tickets are required and the official web site to purchase them is here:  http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/default_eng.aspx

If you want to climb the tower in Pisa, as opposed to just seeing/photographing it from the outside you'll also need tickets in advance.  They are only sold a few weeks in advance and the official site is here:  https://www.opapisa.it/en/square-of-miracles/tower/

There is a bus service that departs from Livorno for tourists -- you can pay for the transportation and you'll get about 3.5 hours in Florence and an hour in Pisa.  https://www.tuscanybus.com/en/experience/livorno_firenze_pisa.aspx

As noted by eurocruiser, if you do this, you can pre-purchase (in fact, I'd say you MUST pre-purchase) tickets to the museum where Michelangelo's David is on display. Lines are terrible if you show up without a ticket. And sometimes they are terrible even with a ticket....

The hour at Pisa is probably not enough to climb the tower, but it is enough time to see it, take photos, etc.

If you really want to take a shore excursion, are you sure that they are already all offered? You're looking at a cruise that's a year away. Sometimes cruise lines don't add all the excursions until closer to sailing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, MeredithNC said:

On a RC cruise next May - none of the excursions take us to the real statue of Michelangelo.  Can anyone suggest a tour from the cruise port that would work.  We want to see Pisa also.

We did a great tour by Papillon great guide we had 8 in total the other 6 we got from our roll call, almost all our tours were with our roll call and they were a lot cheaper and smaller than ship sponsored trips. We first went to Pisa and over a hour there then went to Florence they prebought our tickets to the museum with David and even arranged to skip the line. We were then given a choice of more time in Florence or visiting a organic vineyard for a wine tasting we did the wine tasting, cost was about 100 per person including everything. We were in a very comfortable new Mercedes van. We were also on rccl.

We also split our tours with people from our roll call.  We had never done this before, but it was a lot of fun.  We were able to have private tours in all the ports for small groups.  One of the members of the roll call made arrangements for a walking food tour in Valencia which was wonderful.  You learn the history of the town and then we learned all about tapas and how to order from a variety of restaurants.  We usually google walking food tours in most ports of call now after this experience.  

• 2 months later...

Agree with arlodog. Go to your roll call and see if one is already organized. Otherwise you can start the tour. Rome in Limo is a really good one. You can customize your tour. I did the Statue of Michelangelo and climbed the Tower of Pisa. I purchased my tickets ahead of time because they limit the amount of tickets and they sell out. Rome in Limo does the small tours up to 8 people? Maybe in some cases 10 , but we did 8. They can pull up really close and drop you off. They save a lot of time so you really get to see a lot in one day.

Here's a link to my blog about going to Florence and Pisa. 

https://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/search/label/Greek Mediterranean 2016?updated-max=2016-08-02T20:33:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=16&by-date=false

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:23 PM, Travlin grrl said:

Agree with arlodog. Go to your roll call and see if one is already organized. Otherwise you can start the tour. Rome in Limo is a really good one. You can customize your tour. I did the Statue of Michelangelo and climbed the Tower of Pisa. I purchased my tickets ahead of time because they limit the amount of tickets and they sell out. Rome in Limo does the small tours up to 8 people? Maybe in some cases 10 , but we did 8. They can pull up really close and drop you off. They save a lot of time so you really get to see a lot in one day.

Here's a link to my blog about going to Florence and Pisa. 

https://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/search/label/Greek Mediterranean 2016?updated-max=2016-08-02T20:33:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=16&by-date=false

What a lovely blog, brought me back memories of my Italian wine-tasting tours, Tuscany is unforgettable!

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2020 at 8:20 AM, Fran2020 said:

What a lovely blog, brought me back memories of my Italian wine-tasting tours, Tuscany is unforgettable!

Oh thank you very much. Honestly I do this blog as kind of a diary. When people ask me about a cruise I did, I know I can go back to it so I can remember what I did and how. I've gotten a little bit better at it as time goes on.