Updated Mask Guidance from WHO

iMarco46

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

WHO.thumb.png.340c86c7ad97d3003a1837df469ae5b1.png

That might be the best advice, but our Governor says we MUST wear a mask to enter any stores or enclosed public spaces or when outside if we cannot maintain a 6 ft separation from other people, so it is all so confusing.  It will be interesting to see what the rules and guidance will be for cruise ships when cruising resumes.

Wait a minute,  Why not also quote this sentence from the same NEJM article, which by the way is addressed to hospital workers, not the general public:

"More compelling is the possibility that wearing a mask may reduce the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic and minimally symptomatic health care workers with Covid-19 to other providers and patients. This concern increases as Covid-19 becomes more widespread in the community."

I believe most folks understand wearing a mask is more for the protection of others than themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also note that the article being referenced was published on April 1, meaning it was written in March. A lot of knowledge about the virus, including how it spreads, has been updated since then. For instance, a recent study showed 6 feet of distance may be inadequate at times. The number of asymptomatic people with COVID-19, and the infection rate, are things the medical and research communities have been continually learning about, so it's not surprising that recommendations for avoiding spread of the disease will continue to be modified over time as they learn more about it. So don't jump to conclusions about which health organization to "trust". (Remember, the CDC said no to masks originally, then reversed.)

• Like 1

Difficult to know what advice to follow but relaxing too early might take us back in the UK and ruin the sacrifices the majority have made since March.The new Track  and Trace app seems to be an open goal for internet scammers .Hope I’m wrong but We shall soon find out.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the WHO being "World" health.  There are hundreds of millions of people worldwide who have zero access to clean water, let alone masks. So they are saying this for the poorest populations where masks are potentially in tight supply and/or just not available at all and are a limited resource. Just my opinion.

I wear a mask.  My thought is if I had the choice of entering 2 rooms with a contagious virus in it, one room with no mask wearers, and the other all mask wearers, I know which one I would choose.

• Like 2