Excursion company on your own

Mjasp

Has anyone ever had a problem or safety issue with an excursion company that they hired on their own? Did you ever feel unsafe? Like where are they taking me? If so, what was the problem and which company.

TIA

One of the pluses of touring with a resident of a port, is they know their countrymen, their tourist areas, the roadways and alternate routs. I feel safer with a native personal tour guide than I have felt with a ship purchased bus tour. These private vendors rely on word of mouth for repeat business. Bad reviews do not provide them with repeat or more business. The same goes for places like Paradise Beach Club, restaurant stops like the Kangaroo Court in St. Martin.

I have taken a taxi tour purchased at the port terminal and didn't feel quit as comfortable but everything was OK. I prefer a driver who stays close by when we are touring or dining or shopping.

Bon Voyage

We had a gentleman offer to give us a walking tour and take us to a local 'swap meet'. He was well dressed, nice looking man. His buddy, on the other hand, was a wee-bit scary. No big deal, looks aren't everything! After the tour his buddies came out of the bar & looked us over. Then he tried walking us down to another street opposite where the ship was. Without going into all the details, we all freaked (even the men) and headed back to the ship. The tour guys were MAD!

No, Jamaica isn't a horrible place. It's like every other city. There are good people and bad people all over the world. Just be careful! We also happened to meet some very nice people the following year.

Archived