Norwegian Encore - Alaska - Haven Aft Facing Penthouse or 2 Bedroom Family Villa

dhg11

Hello, We are planning an Alaska Cruise with our kids and are looking for advice on which cabin would be a better selection.  We are a total of 7 people (My husband and I along with our kids 27, 26 (with fiance), 12, and 11.  We are planning to put the little kids with us and have the 3 adult children share another room.  We are trying to decide between the Aft Facing Penthouse Suites or the 2 bedroom family villas.  We like the balcony a lot on the aft....will even be able to use it much with Alaska temps in June?  Which selection feels more spacious inside?  Does it make a big difference being located in the Haven area since the aft rooms are on the other side of the ship?  Which deck levels are the best?  Is the aft a lot more rocky than the middle of the ship?  I tend to get claustrophobic and cramped, so the room with a more open feel would be great.  Will we feel a difference with swaying on deck 9 vs deck 15-17?  We are not frequent cruisers, so I really appreciate any advice you can provide?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Which selection feels more spacious inside?

I can show you these....

(2BR Villa - the balconies on deck 17 are deeper than those on deck 18)

vs.

(Aft-facing Suite - Balcony depth differs by deck and decks 11 and 14 have a different configuration than the other decks)

Click HERE for info on the configurations and balcony sizes for aft-facing suites on this class)

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Does it make a big difference being located in the Haven area since the aft rooms are on the other side of the ship?

It depends on the individual. The walk doesn't bother me but some people feel like "outsiders" even though they have full Haven access/amenities. Butler service depends on the butler (they rotate assigned areas about every 2 weeks) so you may or may not get a great butler. Whichever butler is assigned to your aft-facing suite will also serve the other aft-facing suites. 

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Which deck levels are the best?

See HERE link above.

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Is the aft a lot more rocky than the middle of the ship?

In my experience, no BUT some people are uncomfortable with the occasional "azipod shimmy" that you might feel in the aft section. 

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

I tend to get claustrophobic and cramped, so the room with a more open feel would be great.

Well, configuration A in the aft might feel uncomfortable in both bathrooms but configuration B has natural light/windows in the master bathroom and is larger than configuration A's master bathroom. The 2 BR Villa also has natural light/windows in the master bathroom. 

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Will we feel a difference with swaying on deck 9 vs deck 15-17

This is more "front vs. back" as far as what you feel. The front (where the Haven is) might have more movement than the aft. Large modern ships tend to be comfortable no matter where you are but some people feel the movement more than others. I've stayed at the very aft and the very front of ships and I've never had an issue. 

I have a few questions though...

Will the 3 adult children also be staying in a Haven stateroom? Only those booked in a Haven stateroom will have Haven access.

Is it important for everyone to stay near each other?

Could the 5 younger people (26 w/fiance in master bedroom, 27 on sofa-bed in living room, young kids in 2nd bedroom) book the 2BR while the parents stay in the Courtyard Penthouse suite (sleeps 3)?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

4 hours ago, dhg11 said:

Hello, We are planning an Alaska Cruise with our kids and are looking for advice on which cabin would be a better selection.  We are a total of 7 people (My husband and I along with our kids 27, 26 (with fiance), 12, and 11.  We are planning to put the little kids with us and have the 3 adult children share another room.  We are trying to decide between the Aft Facing Penthouse Suites or the 2 bedroom family villas.  We like the balcony a lot on the aft....will even be able to use it much with Alaska temps in June?  Which selection feels more spacious inside?  Does it make a big difference being located in the Haven area since the aft rooms are on the other side of the ship?  Which deck levels are the best?  Is the aft a lot more rocky than the middle of the ship?  I tend to get claustrophobic and cramped, so the room with a more open feel would be great.  Will we feel a difference with swaying on deck 9 vs deck 15-17?  We are not frequent cruisers, so I really appreciate any advice you can provide?  Thanks!

I would strongly recommend the 2BR in the Haven. While you would have beautiful private aft views, being a few steps from the panoramic forward views from the Horizons lounge and up a deck to the forward sundeck would be spectacular. And the kids would be steps away from the Haven pool and courtyard. It makes a big difference with small kids on an Alaskan cruise. The rooms are similar,,, but if you start to want space, it is a few steps in to the Haven lounge and all of the Alaskan beauty (even at night). And the 27 year old could crash on the living room sofa if the soon-to-be-weds want some private time. 

We sail Alaska yearly (except for this year 😞 ). We spend hours a day on our balcony watching the sea life (whales and dolphins and seals). And we have sailed in forward facing suites on small ships which was magical. Other than the first and last day (when you are in open ocean), you are in protected, very calm, waters most of the time. 

Thanks so much for all the great feedback everyone!  We want to keep the small kids with us os the big kids can have more ability to come and go.  We have narrowed it down to 2 - 2bedroom villas on 17th deck or 2  - aft facing on deck 9.  Such a tough decision and great points from everyone. We really like the idea of being within the Haven and close to all those amenities but are hesitant to give up the great aft facing deck.  We also get a little seasick so are still concerned about being high up on 17.  The feedback about Alaska waters being calm is very helpful though and may give us the comfort if we select the 2 bedroom option.  Continue to welcome more thoughts and really appreciate everyone who replied!  Thanks and stay healthy and safe.

18 minutes ago, dhg11 said:

We have narrowed it down to 2 - 2bedroom villas on 17th deck or 2  - aft facing on deck 9.

In your situation, I'd vote for the 2 2BR on deck 17.

Parents have their own bedroom/bathroom. Little kids have their own bedroom/bathroom.

Adult kids/couple have their own bedroom/bathroom. Solo adult has their own bedroom/bathroom.  

I travel as 4 with 2 young kids so the aft-facing suite is my choice but if we were a family of 5, we wouldn't have that option. 

I just got off the Encore in March.  The Encore would be a great ship for Alaska.  I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite.  An aft penthouse would be nice for outdoor balcony space.  However, our suite was literally 10 feet from the Horizon lounge. OMG, just imagine this place in Alaska. It felt like part of our suite.  They constantly had food and beverages there too.  Also, the Haven sundeck is just above you for that outdoor viewing. Not to mention all of the other Haven perks right at your doorstep.

For Alaska, you would never have to leave the Haven for the best views....indoor or outdoor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  We are going with the 2 bedroom villas......you have all had such great suggestions!  THANK YOU!!!! Now I just have to figure out which are the best cabin numbers on floor 17....trying to research if they are all the same or not and which side of the ship is best for views.  7 days: 

• Seattle,Washington
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Skagway,Alaska
  • Ketchikan,Alaska
  • Victoria,British Columbia
  • Seattle,Washington

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, dhg11 said:

Thanks everyone!  We are going with the 2 bedroom villas......you have all had such great suggestions!  THANK YOU!!!! Now I just have to figure out which are the best cabin numbers on floor 17....trying to research if they are all the same or not and which side of the ship is best for views.  7 days: 

• Seattle,Washington
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Skagway,Alaska
  • Ketchikan,Alaska
  • Victoria,British Columbia
  • Seattle,Washington

What did you pick and how did it work out?  I'm having the same dilema and feeling like I should move from my aft balcony on 15 up to a 2-br on 17.  It is just DH and myself so the configurations don't matter. We are going in October so it will be pretty cold!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, david_sobe said:

I just got off the Encore in March.  The Encore would be a great ship for Alaska.  I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite.  An aft penthouse would be nice for outdoor balcony space.  However, our suite was literally 10 feet from the Horizon lounge. OMG, just imagine this place in Alaska. It felt like part of our suite.  They constantly had food and beverages there too.  Also, the Haven sundeck is just above you for that outdoor viewing. Not to mention all of the other Haven perks right at your doorstep.

For Alaska, you would never have to leave the Haven for the best views....indoor or outdoor.

Thinking of doing the Encore for an Alaska Cruise - which side would you recommend? Port Side (left side) or the starboard (right side) 

14 hours ago, Littlemiah said:

Thinking of doing the Encore for an Alaska Cruise - which side would you recommend? Port Side (left side) or the starboard (right side) 

I've never been to Alaska so I could not give advice.  Since the Haven sundeck and Horizon lounge wrap around, viewing on both sides would be easy. If you are looking for balcony viewing, someone else would have to give advice.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:58 PM, Littlemiah said:

Does anyone know how long is the walk from the Aft-Facing Penthouse to The Haven? (sorry if this was asked before)

I read in another post that the ship is the length of approx. 3 football fields. That put it into perspective for me--and I moved my cabin. I decided it would be a long walk...after the 10th time. 😬

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 5.52.30 PM.tiff