Cruise ship vs airplane

iggyc

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I think it’s messed up that cruise lines are held to a higher standard than airplanes and hotels. I understand it’s a floating community that’s isolated while at sea, but still, an airplane can be isolated in the air above the ocean, and airplanes are far dirtier and germier than cruise ships IMO. Hotels simply don’t seem to track because they usually don’t know if a customer has been sick in their room. 

Did you read above about airline air filtration systems?

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I think it’s messed up that cruise lines are held to a higher standard than airplanes and hotels. I understand it’s a floating community that’s isolated while at sea, but still, an airplane can be isolated in the air above the ocean, and airplanes are far dirtier and germier than cruise ships IMO. Hotels simply don’t seem to track because they usually don’t know if a customer has been sick in their room. 

Even the longest flight is 'only' 19 hours, below the incubation time for most illnesses.  So one never knows if they got it on a plane or not.

The crew unions feel differently though.  Understandably, the flight attendant unions are particularly concerned.

If you must fly, take precautions like these international flight crews do, sanctioned by their carrier. Bring your own pre-packaged food for your long-haul, and do all you can to protect yourself. 

Collage 2020-06-16 18_52_22.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Well, I have to say, my biggest issue with travel during this pandemic is more the flights to get to the departure port than the actual embarkation.  Why, b/c flying in a sardine can is never comfortable and now is even less so.  

My airline of choice, however, has mandatory face coverings and it includes both deck crew and passengers so it seems a bit safer... but only a bit.  The exception, of course, is for drinks and food.  Suggestion of bringing your own food is always a good choice. 

I'm still hopeful, reading some of the reports regarding the scientists developing the possible vaccines, that we will see protective measures sooner rather than later... sooner being beginning of 2021. 

We just flew this past week.  Passengers were asked to wear a mask to board the plane, once on board several people removed masks throughout the flight.  Didn't hear or see anyone make a request to put them back on.  In the airport itself...again masks appeared to be in the minority with mostly gate workers/security.  Even food service workers were mask free.  We flew from Nashville to Panama City, Florida.

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

If you must fly, take precautions like these international flight crews do, sanctioned by their carrier. Bring your own pre-packaged food for your long-haul, and do all you can to protect yourself. 

Collage 2020-06-16 18_52_22.jpg

Can't see taking my own prepackaged food for my coming 16 hour non-stop flight.  Going to eat a big meal before boarding.

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

You finally flying home??  Great news!

Leaving in 9 hours, 5 AM local time, for the 8 hour van ride to get to the airport more than 4 hours before the flight as required by Philippine Airlines.  At NAIA one must go through the whole security check thing to get into the airport, then the usual check to get to the terminal port.

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

Can't see taking my own prepackaged food for my coming 16 hour non-stop flight.  Going to eat a big meal before boarding.

First, we wish you a smooth and safe flight coming back to the US later on.  

Maybe pickup some energy/food bar before boarding, just in case.   Airline catering food itself is fine but the cabin environment can be less than ideal, especially if it is near/close to usual capacity - minimize trips to the restrooms as that can be nasty on a long-haul, some/most carrier should be instructing their cabin crew to do their best to keep it clean & sanitize these days.  Be sure to have an extra mask on hand, hand sanitizer and wipes (get extras if you can) - to minimize the risks.  

That is a long van trip to get to the airport, half a day early and then to work thru various screening ... you can be sure that they will be doing temperature scanning, etc. 

Be well & I am sure you are going to have plenty of long stories to share & tell afterward.  Regards !