YOUR FAVOURITE PORTS OF CALL WITH MARELLA CRUISES

Me ST Martin Caribbean,  lovely board walk, lots of lovely little bars pop in have a beer and watch the world go by,

2   Santorini Agean sea lovely views over the bay

3   Bequia  Caribbean like stepping back in time.

14 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Me ST Martin Caribbean,  lovely board walk, lots of lovely little bars pop in have a beer and watch the world go by,

Agree with those but just love Korcula. 

Probably each and every port in Croatia.  Most lines only do Dubrovnik and Split, Marella did  so many others and and  we enjoyed each and every one, such a lovely country, beautiful islands.

and someone already mentioned Bequia.  That was our prersonal favourite on a two week Caribbean itineray. Such a pleasure to walk around there as it is relatvely unspoiled.

Edited by edinburgher

• 1 month later...

Cuba has been my most amazing port 

As we left this amazing port, people in the park next to the harbour stopped and  waved to us, Cubans on board who were part of the excellent entertainment team told us that since American ships no longer are allowed (there was some relaxation under Obama but Trump stopped it all) all the locals depend on Brits and Canadians and were just so grateful for  tourists. Also loved Santorini and Kotor.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winifred said:

Cuba has been my most amazing port 

As we left this amazing port, people in the park next to the harbour stopped and  waved to us, Cubans on board who were part of the excellent entertainment team told us that since American ships no longer are allowed (there was some relaxation under Obama but Trump stopped it all) all the locals depend on Brits and Canadians and were just so grateful for  tourists. Also loved Santorini and Kotor.   

Nice one Winifred.

So,ton

Thanks It’s a port  I will never forget.  The buildings in Havana are beautiful but crumbling to dust it’s so sad. The people are so lovely and really appreciate tourism. As we approached the capital Havana and could see the outline of the coast of Cuba everyone was up on deck and there was so much excitement!    I hope Marella  will return as I would go again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

I visited Havana two years ago when Americans were being allowed in. One of my funny little memories is of wandering through a residential district in the Old Town on Sunday morning. Three elderly local ladies were walking toward me, looking at me and I heard one say "Americano". I just smiled and replied "No Senoras. Soy Ingles". I'm pleased to say they smiled 😊. I do agree Winifred - whilst many parts of the city are still crumbling, the locals were lovely. It is somewhere I feel very humbled and privileged to have visited.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 10:14 PM, so,ton saint said:

Looking at St Martin cruise schedule for 21/22 Discovery and Dream both in the Caribbean, looks like there hanging on to Dream, but as you see four ship being scrapped at this very moment are a lot younger.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ShippersF47 said:

St Maarten for me too! Also Dubrovnik, Tortola and Gibraltar (some people will find that a strange one but it was like a second home for us in our Royal Navy days! Loved the place.)

2 hours ago, ShippersF47 said:

St Maarten for me too! Also Dubrovnik, Tortola and Gibraltar (some people will find that a strange one but it was like a second home for us in our Royal Navy days! Loved the place.)

For one moment i thought you going to talk about the (G U T)  in Malta say no more.

4 minutes ago, ShippersF47 said:

Never visited Malta unfortunately mate but it's definitely on my bucket list, are you ex-RN too?

Sorry pal was in M.N in the Sixtys, served most of Cunard.  Union Castle and Royal mail, my brother was a Musician in the Marines served H.M.R.Y. for fourteen years done Gib and Malta many times. how about you.

12 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

For one moment i thought you going to talk about the (G U T)  in Malta say no more.

Before I knew him, my late husband had served in the RN and sometimes mentioned GUT. He reckoned he was was banned from Malta. This was in the 60’s and early 70’s.

He also showed me around Gib and had many stories to tell.

Gibraltar remains one of my favourite places and hope to cruise there again.

22 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Sorry pal was in M.N in the Sixtys, served most of Cunard.  Union Castle and Royal mail, my brother was a Musician in the Marines served H.M.R.Y. for fourteen years done Gib and Malta many times. how about you.

I served on frigates during the eighties and nineties but had the pleasure of serving on a merchant ship, RFA Diligence during the First Gulf War (it had a naval party drafted to it during that time, NP1600). How the other half live - we lived in two men cabins on board as opposed to twenty/thirty man messdecks, never experienced anything before or after that whilst in the RN unfortunately!

I heard that the HMY Britannia was a nightmare of a draft for obvious reasons, met a few guys that served on her and some of the tales make me thankful I never got drafted there! 🤣

10 hours ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

Before I knew him, my late husband had served in the RN and sometimes mentioned GUT. He reckoned he was was banned from Malta. This was in the 60’s and early 70’s.

He also showed me around Gib and had many stories to tell.

Gibraltar remains one of my favourite places and hope to cruise there again.

Gib has changed so much even since the Nineties, Tizzy-Jo. The majority of our old haunts have long gone but the fact we spent so much time there and the memories we made back in the day will always make it one of my favourites too, I'm sure your late husband would have felt the same.

43 minutes ago, ShippersF47 said:

I served on frigates during the eighties and nineties but had the pleasure of serving on a merchant ship, RFA Diligence during the First Gulf War (it had a naval party drafted to it during that time, NP1600). How the other half live - we lived in two men cabins on board as opposed to twenty/thirty man messdecks, never experienced anything before or after that whilst in the RN unfortunately!

I heard that the HMY Britannia was a nightmare of a draft for obvious reasons, met a few guys that served on her and some of the tales make me thankful I never got drafted there! 🤣

You hit the nail right on the head as regards the Britannia, every ship has a pig and whistle and after having a pint or two and a few fags the Bandsmen had to put there hammocks up in a smoky bar when he retired he died  of Pulmonary fibrosis hardening of the lungs ,he did enjoy life on the ship because he loved his music, each musician had to play two or three instruments as the Queen loved her dance band music ,rock and when a shore of course marching as you know the best in the world,but it made him proud when they had shore leave and on his epaulettes they had ROYAL YACHT BRITANNIA .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1) Agree with Bequia, not on itinerary  for most cruise ships, perhaps more for the Caribbean island hoppers. So felt privileged  to visit.

2)  loved my day on back to back cruise in Corfu, with Hop on and off bus and boat to Mouse Island. Corfu Town was fun, an island I wanted to visit since I was 11 and read My Family and other Animals. Don't  think Gerald would recognise it now if he wS still around.

3) On Celebration (and other cruise lines) Istanbul. It never fails to deliver, love it, love it, love it!

SWEBY