The Alternative Itineraries

RRC2018

Where to begin?  Looking at Hebridean Princess and hoping for a booking in 2021. Any recommendations on which of there itineraries is “ best”?  Duration of cruise not an issue but quality of experience, landscape, history would be emphasis. Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Do you have any special interests?  Hebridean Princess often offers themed cruises.  For instance, I've done two whisky themed cruises with them.  I did another that took me to Northern Ireland, a place I probably would not have otherwise seen.

Some people like the footloose cruises for exercise.  Others like the mystery cruises for the element of surprise.  

Scotland is beautiful, so you really can't go wrong regardless, although I will tell you that the last cruise we did took us over the top of Scotland and the seasickness was pretty brutal.  However, we loved seeing the other side of Scotland and places we probably never would have gotten to otherwise.

I think it would help us if you told us more about what you enjoy doing.

In the latest issue of Hebridean Times, it indicated that Hebridean Princess would be going down to the South Coast of England in 2021. There are supposed to be cruises to Ireland, Channel Isles and the north coast of France as well as the South Coast of England. Hebridean would normally release details before the end of May but as yet no details.

Edited by braemar12

Thanks. Am interested among the different Scotland itineraries and mostly focused on landscape and history. It will be my first visit to Scotland so interested in one which gives access to places that might be less accessible to land based tours. Your note about the rough seas north of Scotland is noted and appreciated. 

8 hours ago, braemar12 said:

In the latest issue of Hebridean Times, it indicated that Hebridean Princess would be going down to the South Coast of England in 2021. There are supposed to be cruises to Ireland, Channel Isles and the north coast of France as well as the South Coast of England. Hebridean would normally release details before the end of May but as yet no details.

I think COVID-19 may be putting a lot of small cruise lines in jeopardy.  I really hope Hebridean Princess can survive.  

5 hours ago, RRC2018 said:

Thanks. Am interested among the different Scotland itineraries and mostly focused on landscape and history. It will be my first visit to Scotland so interested in one which gives access to places that might be less accessible to land based tours. Your note about the rough seas north of Scotland is noted and appreciated. 

You might want to consider the cruises they do in the summer.  They're very expensive, but they tend to go to the less inhabited areas.  I still haven't been to all of the best known islands.  

My first two cruises with them in 2012 were back to back five nighters for a total of ten days on the ship.  It was a good introduction to the line, especially since we also visited Sanda Island, which is uninhabited and has a lot of amazing wildlife.  I'm not sure they still go there, though, since it's privately owned.

All of the cruises we've done have had their magical moments.  I prefer the western side of Scotland, though, for beautiful scenery.  Islay is also a wonderful stop, especially if you like whisky.  

• Thanks 1