Webinar with Brian Kelly (The Points Guy) and CEO Arnold Donald

On 6/16/2020 at 8:52 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already, so I'll start one.

There was a webinar with The Points Guy Brian Kelly asking questions of Arnold Donald.  I found it intriguing.  It lasted about an hour and can be found at https://thepointsguy.com/news/future-of-travel-webinar-cruises-carnival-ceo/ .

I'll summarize some of the major points I found interesting:

• Mr. Donald mentioned that he didn't know when cruising would return.  He didn't mention any specific dates for it.
  • He was encouraged by the attempts at social gatherings in New Zealand, China and Europe
  • Depending on when they sail, the rules they have to follow, and the social norms of the places they sail, the onboard experience could be altered in many different ways
  • He mentioned that one change could be four (shorter) shows a night instead of two
  • He also mentioned the "M" word - crew would likely have them if they were to sail soon; for guests, it would depend on what they have to do and what's being done around them
  • In an ideal world, he'd like quick, easy, and accurate COVID-19 tests.  He'd like good therapies and vaccines too, but he realized those would only come some time down the road.
  • He said that there was no indication of significant transmission through circulated air spread
  • He noted that it was important that guests visit a mix of private islands/destinations and other ports, in part to help their economies
  • He said that lots of guests love the Fantasy class ships and they have been kept fresh through the years
  • That said, he said there would be an acceleration in the retirement of ships
  • He said it would be "highly probable" that some would be scrapped (no details of which ones or when)
  • There will definitely be delays in the first sailings of their new ships.  The Enchanted Princess, P&O Iona, and Mardi Gras were mentioned by name.
  • Not all ships will start at the same time; it will take time to get to the cruising level where it was before
  • He said not to count on a lot of cruising deals when sailing starts again.  It's just his opinion, but the gradual ramp up of ships, limited capacity, and pent up demand would seem to offer no room for deals.  
  • Also his opinion, but he says to take advantage of the deals that are already out there
  • He wasn't worried about bankruptcy for any of his firms or any of the bigger competing cruise lines
  • Mr. Donald's favorite cruise was one he took to Antarctica on Seabourn.  
  • He's been invited to lots of places by lots of people to take his next cruise where they are.  No decision on that has been made.  He noted that there are many great places in the world to go.
  • He indicated a desire not to cancel cruises too far out, in case things change in a favorable direction
  • He said there could be some itinerary modifications on cruises with ports that definitely will not be ready when they are
  • He apologized for all the refunds taking so long.  They didn't expect THIS to happen, so they weren't prepared.  He said they were catching up.

Some of this stuff isn't new if you've been following Mr. Donald's other interviews over the past two months, but some of it is - at least to me.

What it means, sounds like the airlines, this business will never be the same as before and that is the subtle adjustment of capacity

Not all ships will start at the same time; it will take time to get to the cruising level where it was before. He said there would be an acceleration in the retirement of ships: 

Keep the money coming in , we need it.

He apologized for all the refunds taking so long.  They didn't expect THIS to happen, so they weren't prepared.  He said they were catching up. He indicated a desire not to cancel cruises too far out, in case things change in a favorable direction: 

2 hours ago, declansdad said:

He didn't say they would accelerate the retirement of the Fantasy class ships. That would seem to fly in the face of his comment about how popular they are.

I didn’t say they were. I was commenting regarding the overall condition and then referenced a general statement.

• Haha 1