Prices for 2021 cruises

jillyf

We cancelled our cruise for September next year and wondering if we decide to rebook in the next 6 months would we get a better deal.
If we travel it would depend on travel insurance as we are over 70 and with a few health issues. 
Silversea has been on the phone with a good offer especially for business class flights. 
Would  April be too early to think about booking because COVID-19 may still be affecting cruises.

I know that this is all an unknown but would be happy to hear other opinions. 

Nobody knows how cruises will be priced in 2021. There are only theories. With all the people using FCCs, the prices may be higher. But if there is no Covid 19 vaccine or treatment readily available after the FCCs expire. the prices may hit bottom. Especially on cruise lines like Regent, whose guests tend to be well over age 65, who are very concerned that the virus could be fatal.

1 hour ago, jillyf said:

We cancelled our cruise for September next year and wondering if we decide to rebook in the next 6 months would we get a better deal.
If we travel it would depend on travel insurance as we are over 70 and with a few health issues. 
Silversea has been on the phone with a good offer especially for business class flights. 
Would  April be too early to think about booking because COVID-19 may still be affecting cruises.

I'm sure that you will get answers across the entire spectrum, some would even cruise tomorrow if Regent offered one. For me, I won't book a cruise until I see what happens at least through another flu/COVID cycle (fall-winter). The way it looks now, COVID isn't slowing down with the warmer weather as the flu has shown to do. If all goes well and if a working vaccine is in place, I may book a cruise for September 2021 but more likely for 2022. If COVID is still with us in 2021 and a vaccine isn't proving to be effective then all cruise lines will be in significant financial trouble next year and getting your money back may become difficult. I don't expect that to be the case but COVID has shown to be a different breed of virus. Just yesterday, it was reported that a group of people in their 30's and 40's went to a bar in the US recently and now all 16 of them have COVID-19. I know that I am being extremely cautious when it comes to COVID but staying healthy is much more important to me than cruising. Seeing people everywhere ignore the guidance of wearing masks and social distancing (I'm sure many aren't washing their hands either) will keep the virus alive and spreading for a longer time than necessary. The virus knows no borders and all it takes is one sick person to spread it to others. New Zealand had 0 new cases until 2 British women visited to see a very sick relative and then tested positive. You will have to listen to both your heart and your head on this decision. For me, my heart wanted to go on our British Isle cruise but my head kept saying no. I honestly though back in March when I cancelled the cruise that COVID-19 would be well under control by summer but that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jillyf said:

Regent tends to raise prices on "some" cruises every quarter so the prices will likely be higher rather than lower.  For 2021-2022, Regent has hundreds of passengers with FCC's that we are using to book cruises.  I also listened to a "webinar" where the CEO of Carnival (think Seabourn rather than their other brands) stated that demand will be up due to FCC's.   So, my advice is to book now as prices will likely increase (of course, this depends upon itinerary - some sell out quickly and seem to have higher increases than slow selling itineraries.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. The head won and we have decided to wait to see what the future holds. For a few hours I was excited about a cruise!  Now sad but feeling hopeful that we can start planning and researching future trips. 

I went through the same feelings as you. I recently even considered booking a late 2021 cruise and started doing the research and got excited again. Then my head stepped in and told my heart to take a break.

Hi everyone.  We have booked Silver Moon leaving on 13th April from Athens, 9-night cruise in a veranda suite, sailing to Venice.  We have an overnight stay in Venice on board and (as part of the package) transfers to Lake Garda, staying 6 nights at Grand Hotel Gardone and then transfer to Verona Station where we catch the Orient Express for two days.  This takes us to Calais where we travel by coach through the channel tunnel and joins the British Pullman for afternoon tea and trip from Folkestone to London Victoria station, ready for our onward journey home.  I don’t know how much the  Silver Moon element of the package has cost, but we are very happy with the overall package, so that’s good.

Edited by dun123das
Additional information

Just as an aside, the two ladies who went to New Zealand were New Zealander’s, returning from Britain for a family funeral.  They.only completed half of their 14 day quarantine for compassionate reasons and it is not known where the virus came from as it could have been on the plains or en route as well as from the UK.  

That sounds wonderful. Venice is my favourite city and The Orient Express would be a great experience. 

We have cruised Athens to Venice and I’m sure you will love it.