Seeking Advice on using a FCC

AdamBATL

Hi, I could use some advice on navigating some tricky waters (no pun intended).  Early last year, we had booked an NCL cruise in a Haven-class cabin.  The cruise was shortened and itinerary changed, and NCL offered to refund half the money and give us the other half as a FCC (expiring Feb, 2021).  We took them up on it, and we also did one of those cruise rewards purchases while aboard, where you pay $250 for a $500 credit on a future cruise (with restrictions on when you can get double the value).

Last summer (a year ago), I booked a Panama Canal cruise, including air, in January 2021 (the month before our FCC expires), and used the full $500 in cruise rewards as the deposit.  My plan was not to apply the FCC until the balance was due - no point in adding complexity to re-booking should the price drop (which I have done a couple of times).  That balance won't be due until September.

Now my predicament:  I'm no longer that comfortable about the prospects of cruising in January (though that may change).  If I cancel, then both my cruise rewards and FCC will expire, and I don't want that.  Suppose NCL cancels the cruise?  Would I be better off putting my FCC into the cruise now because a new FCC would have a much later expiration date, or would my FCC just expire anyway?  Should I wait to apply my FCC because NCL would extend it anyway if they cancel before September, or is there a chance that I'd only get an extension if they cancel after I apply it?

I'm sure that, between now and September, NCL will extend their 48-hour cancellation offer to January.  If that's the case, then I could cancel if I wasn't comfortable, but what would that look like?  Would my FCC and cruise rewards simply be returned and expire or would they become a new FCC with a later expiration date?  What happens to the air portion?

Thanks for helping me work out my best strategy.

We had a FCC than was given to everyone on a recent cruise we took.  We applied it to our May 2010 cruise which was canceled.  The expiration date is at the end of September 2021 and did not change.  We are unable to cruise in 2021 until November.   I called today to see if I could get an extension since we lost so much time to be able to use it because of the shutdown.  I was told no.  They did say that things could change later but probably not.  I was surprised they would want to pass up a booking of 2-3 Haven cabins by not extending our date by a month.  I guess they don't want my money.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kickbutt10 said:

We had a FCC than was given to everyone on a recent cruise we took.  We applied it to our May 2010 cruise which was canceled.  The expiration date is at the end of September 2021 and did not change.  We are unable to cruise in 2021 until November.   I called today to see if I could get an extension since we lost so much time to be able to use it because of the shutdown.  I was told no.  They did say that things could change later but probably not.  I was surprised they would want to pass up a booking of 2-3 Haven cabins by not extending our date by a month.  I guess they don't want my money.

I'm a little confused. If you wanted to cruise in Nov. of 2021, then why you cannot do so? Though it was to book a cruise by the deadline, not cruising??

FYI, NCL just changed their peace of mind policy:

YOUR PEACE OF MIND IS OUR TOP PRIORITY

"Should you need to cancel at any time, you have up to 48 hours from your vacation start date to do so for a 100% future cruise credit. Applies to vacations on or before December 31, 2020"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

I'm a little confused. If you wanted to cruise in Nov. of 2021, then why you cannot do so? Though it was to book a cruise by the deadline, not cruising??

I have been told our FCC expiration date is a sail by date, not a book by date.

6 hours ago, kickbutt10 said:

I have been told our FCC expiration date is a sail by date, not a book by date.

You may want to confirm that.  We have received FCC from NCL on several previous occasions.  We generally used them soon after receiving them, but as I recall they always were valid for any cruise booked before their expiration date.  So if they expired in March you could apply them in February to a November cruise.  If you cancelled your November cruise in April, however, the FCC would be forfeited.

59 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

You may want to confirm that.  We have received FCC from NCL on several previous occasions.  We generally used them soon after receiving them, but as I recall they always were valid for any cruise booked before their expiration date.  So if they expired in March you could apply them in February to a November cruise.  If you cancelled your November cruise in April, however, the FCC would be forfeited.

For some reason I cannot see the FCC on my account but the TA and NCL can.  They have never reappeared on the account after the May cruise was cancelled.  My Cruise Next certificates did show back on the account.  Both the TA and a NCL rep.

told me it is sail by date.  The only  thing I have is the letter left in our cabin which says "The future cruise credit is valid until Sept. 27, 2021"  It does not specify.  

On 6/30/2020 at 10:36 PM, poohdreaming said:

I took the Traveling Man's advice and called again.  I spoke to three different departments and they all agreed.  I can't speak for other FCCs, the expiration on this one is a "sail by" date and not a booking date.  I have been told the FCC cannot be used on a Nov 2021 cruise regardless of the booking date.  The credit can only be used on a cruise that sails by Sept 27, 2021.  I tested the "sail by" aspect and asked about a sailing on NCL Joy for 9/25/21.  That one would work.  You don't have to come back by 9/27, just sail by.  LOL!

Just be careful if you have one.  They did say I could write a letter to appeal but it most likely would not work.  

Edited by kickbutt10

13 hours ago, kickbutt10 said:

I took the Traveling Man's advice and called again.  I spoke to three different departments and they all agreed.  I can't speak for other FCCs, the expiration on this one is a "sail by" date and not a booking date.  I have been told the FCC cannot be used on a Nov 2021 cruise regardless of the booking date.  The credit can only be used on a cruise that sails by Sept 27, 2021.  I tested the "sail by" aspect and asked about a sailing on NCL Joy for 9/25/21.  That one would work.  You don't have to come back by 9/27, just sail by.  LOL!

Just be careful if you have one.  They did say I could write a letter to appeal but it most likely would not work.  

Your credit is NOT a result of any of this year’s events.    It is a completely separate credit you got in 2019.  WITH it’s own terms.    Responses are not noting these SPECIFIC details.     You aren’t going to be able to ride your n totally different credits that are being issued this year- under their own terms

You’re now under a loose it or use it. By 9 -27-21.   So you might want to see if you can find a cruise that meets those conditions.   

3 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Your credit is NOT a result of any of this year’s events.    It is a completely separate credit you got in 2019.  WITH it’s own terms.    Responses are not noting these SPECIFIC details.     You aren’t going to be able to ride your n totally different credits that are being issued this year- under their own terms

You’re now under a loose it or use it. By 9 -27-21.   So you might want to see if you can find a cruise that meets those conditions.   

You are correct.  My FCC has nothing to do with this year's events and I mentioned in my original post that it resulted from a cruise we took, not one that was canceled.  If you notice the FCC being questioned in the original post was also not a result of what is going on with the virus.  I understand the terms and understand I will lose it if it is not used.  I have found a cruise it would work on but they are unwilling to let me use it as part of my $1500 deposit so until I feel a bit more comfortable giving them more money, I will wait.

50 minutes ago, kickbutt10 said:

You are correct.  My FCC has nothing to do with this year's events and I mentioned in my original post that it resulted from a cruise we took, not one that was canceled.  If you notice the FCC being questioned in the original post was also not a result of what is going on with the virus.  I understand the terms and understand I will lose it if it is not used.  I have found a cruise it would work on but they are unwilling to let me use it as part of my $1500 deposit so until I feel a bit more comfortable giving them more money, I will wait.

Big difference that-  looks like all the above responders missed.    

sounds like you’ve found a solution.  Hope it works out for you.   🤩