Which deck P&O Explorer - Prone to Sea Sickness

lissie

OK never cruised on P&O before. Have done only one cruise Cunard to PNG - loved it. BUT I  very prone to sea sickness and swore I'd never cruise out of NZ because of this (the Sydney to PNG itinerary the  sea varied from slight to calm - no movement at all). On that cruise we were an interior cabin on the lowest deck and that was fine for movement - but because the sea was flat it was no real test.

Now looking at a short 4 day cruise ex Akl-Napier -Akl next February on the Pacific Explorer. The seas could be rough - cyclones hitting the Coromandel is fairly common that time of year.   I wouldn't mind a balcony - because I expect the decks will be a whole lot more crowded than Cunard - and the price is fine. But my choice is a balcony midships on deck 9 and an oceanview midships on deck 5. 

How much difference in movement is there between deck 5  and deck 9?  Obviously lower is better - but how much better? Please don't tell me  I wouldn't feel the movement - if its bad weather I will - and no its not all in my head!  Did a crossing on Cook Strait and even though the swell under 2m and you're really only exposed to it for a 45min and that was enough for me to start sweating.  

Money is not an issue - the price difference is minimal - I like the idea of a balcony - but not if its going to lay me low for 12 the trip! 

34 minutes ago, lissie said:

OK never cruised on P&O before. Have done only one cruise Cunard to PNG - loved it. BUT I  very prone to sea sickness and swore I'd never cruise out of NZ because of this (the Sydney to PNG itinerary the  sea varied from slight to calm - no movement at all). On that cruise we were an interior cabin on the lowest deck and that was fine for movement - but because the sea was flat it was no real test.

Now looking at a short 4 day cruise ex Akl-Napier -Akl next February on the Pacific Explorer. The seas could be rough - cyclones hitting the Coromandel is fairly common that time of year.   I wouldn't mind a balcony - because I expect the decks will be a whole lot more crowded than Cunard - and the price is fine. But my choice is a balcony midships on deck 9 and an oceanview midships on deck 5. 

How much difference in movement is there between deck 5  and deck 9?  Obviously lower is better - but how much better? Please don't tell me  I wouldn't feel the movement - if its bad weather I will - and no its not all in my head!  Did a crossing on Cook Strait and even though the swell under 2m and you're really only exposed to it for a 45min and that was enough for me to start sweating.  

Money is not an issue - the price difference is minimal - I like the idea of a balcony - but not if its going to lay me low for 12 the trip! 

Do you take motion sickness pills? Some people swear by the pressure wrist bands. Others use ginger.  Failing that, if they have OV in the middle of deck 5, it would be the least affected by motion. However, you might prefer the balcony with the option of fresh air. Not possible if the winds are gale force. Decisions, decisions.

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Do you take motion sickness pills? Some people swear by the pressure wrist bands. Others use ginger.  Failing that, if they have OV in the middle of deck 5, it would be the least affected by motion. However, you might prefer the balcony with the option of fresh air. Not possible if the winds are gale force. Decisions, decisions.

I have prescription drugs - but haven't tried them yet as the Cunard cruise was so calm!  Lying down focusing on  the wall close to my  face and not moving - works fine - its a tad limiting though LOL 

Yeah fresh air isn't a big deal but it would be nice -  I mean I'm like 50% the cruise won't happen anyways - but if it did ... Its a $1 deposit sale that's the only reason I'm considering it  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, drsel said:

How does a non Australian get the $1 sale?

Book at the right time? We booked a few months ago. I could now rebook at a lower fare - but I'd have to actually pay a proper deposit so for  the moment I'm watching and waiting