Ground Transport

princeton123211

Just got a predeparture briefing from our Bermuda hotel regarding changes in ground transportation that was just published by the Ministry of Tourism and Transport. Going forward all mini busses must operate at less than 50% capacity with everyone wearing masks-- 30 passenger minibuses with no more than 14 passengers, 22 seat busses with 10 passengers etc. I have to imagine thats going to be another major reason cruising will be a long ways from coming back to the island. If you cant move large amounts of people around efficiently theres no point to bringing them there in the first place. 

On top of that they are requesting all taxi transactions now be cashless with a credit card-- cant imagine the local drivers are going to be thrilled about that. 

Just got a predeparture briefing from our Bermuda hotel regarding changes in ground transportation that was just published by the Ministry of Tourism and Transport. Going forward all mini busses must operate at less than 50% capacity with everyone wearing masks-- 30 passenger minibuses with no more than 14 passengers, 22 seat busses with 10 passengers etc. I have to imagine thats going to be another major reason cruising will be a long ways from coming back to the island. If you cant move large amounts of people around efficiently theres no point to bringing them there in the first place. 

On top of that they are requesting all taxi transactions now be cashless with a credit card-- cant imagine the local drivers are going to be thrilled about that. 

The taxi drivers will probably add a 3% surcharge to cover credit card processing fees. Travelers from the US should make sure to have cards that don’t have foreign transaction fees.

The minibuses from the Dockyard to Horseshoe are a good bargain but I personally hate that they were filling them with 30 people. When they started most did not have 30 seats. That came later. I don’t think the lowered capacity makes much difference to them this year. I can’t see much if any cruises arriving.

I have been thinking of flying to Bermuda this year but right now all the flights from here have connections thru Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you so much for all of your helpful information about Bermuda, Charles.  I've really learned a lot from you through the years.

Our trip in April was cancelled so we are hoping to fly there, also.  We have made plans for the end of September.  We will gladly go through all the procedures that are in place regarding the Corona Virus.  Our biggest concern is coming down with it while in Bermuda.  Do you know anything about their procedures as far as quarantines go, and also, the level of medical care we could expect should it be needed?

Thank you again.

They have been able to contain the virus in Bermuda. They had testing and tracking. They had a quarantine phase and have been able to move on to reopening phases. They were also able to take advantage of being an island. The airport was closed to all except bringing back Bermudians who were abroad and those returning had to isolate for 14 days. They report they have reached zero infections. Probably one of the safest places to be right now. The airport just reopened a couple of days ago. They are implementing strict regulations for arriving tourists. The latest is in the tourism authority link. As far as medical care there luckily I have never had to partake of it there but from what I have read they have a high level of care there.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

d24b07b8cb543ff0aa70adb2ecccfbae.jpg

Thank you so much!  You've certainly made us feel more secure.  Our biggest worry is probably we Americans bringing it to Bermuda with us, but, hopefully, everyone will follow the rules and be safe.

Have a nice evening.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have been thinking of flying to Bermuda this year but right now all the flights from here have connections thru Atlanta.

You can also fly through JFK direct. There is a rumor that American will restart Philadelphia to Bermuda service in the next couple months but that it will only operate 2-3 times per week. Again, its unsubstantiated but I heard it from someone who is often right with these things. 

The new testing regime is a bit stringent-- to be frank its making us reconsider going. Its evolved a little over the past week but they are requiring a negative test, taken no longer than 5 days prior (and ideally 3 days prior which is difficult to obtain), be presented upon arrival. You will then take a test at the airport and then immediately proceed to your hotel where you must quarantine in your room for the 6 or so hours it takes for them to process that test. Once you receive the all clear you are free to go about the island. 

You must go to a testing site and retake the test on day 3 and on day 7 although you do not need to quarantine prior to the results. You have to pay a $75 processing fee prior to arrival per person which will cover all testing. I fully support why they are doing this, but we are wondering if this would really make for a relaxing getaway. 

51 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You can also fly through JFK direct. There is a rumor that American will restart Philadelphia to Bermuda service in the next couple months but that it will only operate 2-3 times per week. Again, its unsubstantiated but I heard it from someone who is often right with these things. 

The new testing regime is a bit stringent-- to be frank its making us reconsider going. Its evolved a little over the past week but they are requiring a negative test, taken no longer than 5 days prior (and ideally 3 days prior which is difficult to obtain), be presented upon arrival. You will then take a test at the airport and then immediately proceed to your hotel where you must quarantine in your room for the 6 or so hours it takes for them to process that test. Once you receive the all clear you are free to go about the island. 

You must go to a testing site and retake the test on day 3 and on day 7 although you do not need to quarantine prior to the results. You have to pay a $75 processing fee prior to arrival per person which will cover all testing. I fully support why they are doing this, but we are wondering if this would really make for a relaxing getaway. 

While the procedures are a bit of a pain, we're actually considering flying in for a stay because Bermuda has done such a good job of controlling the outbreak that I would feel safer there than almost anywhere but my own home. I believe Jet Blue will begin offering nonstop service from JFK in August.

A bit of a reduction in hotel prices would encourage me further. Not sure I want to spend $800 a night plus the cost of food to stay at the Rosewood.

38 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not sure I want to spend $800 a night plus the cost of food to stay at the Rosewood.

They had some fabulous deals at the height of the shutdown-- we were able to book with them for what equates to be around $350 a night. 

They are a small island isolated in the Atlantic so they really do need to contain any infections. Infected tourists could overwhelm their health care capability. A stringent testing regime is what they need there. That part may not be relaxing but I would feel much more relaxed there than in some US states.

Flying from JFK direct sounds great for those who live in the New York/ New Jersey area but from the DC area it is complicated. Did it once, Amtrak/Long Island RR/Airtrain for an overseas flight but I will pass on that in this Covid situation. I have flown out of Philadelphia and could manage that more easily, Amtrak/Septa but I probably will pass on that too.

If I had the great hotel deal you got and had easier access to flights I would probably go. But these are not normal times so I would not blame you for not going.