Question for anyone recently on the Maasdam

carolyn22

I'm starting to look at what clothes I want to take with me on my cruise next month, and I realized I didn't know how many formal nights there are going to be. Could anyone who has recently been on the Maasdam please let me know the breakdown of formal vs. informal nights. Thanks!!!!

Hi.

Just returned from the Maasdam in mid Jan. There were 3 formal. 6 informal, and 2 casual as I remember. Seemed like too many informal but people dressed casualy most every night. I wish people would adhere to the dress suggestions. It always bothers me when I am formally dressed and some guy sits next to me wearing denim cut offs for the show. Oh well, they paid their money , too. If you have any more questions, you can email me at fgi2627@msn.

I'm starting to look at what clothes I want to take with me on my cruise next month, and I realized I didn't know how many formal nights there are going to be. Could anyone who has recently been on the Maasdam please let me know the breakdown of formal vs. informal nights. Thanks!!!!

I just got off the Maasdam today. We had 11 nights - they listed 3 as formal, 2 as informal and 6 as casual; however, when the daily programs came out, we actually had 3 formal, 3 informal and 5 casual, so it may be subject to change.

davedawn's tally---as originally projected---seems more accurate than SHERGIB's. The combined total of formal and informal is usually less than the number of casual. It's been this way for several years now.

We'll be on the March 14th Cruise out of Norfolk. I noticed on the HA site that bringing alcohol on board is no longer allowed. When we cruise the Massdam in 2003 they actually had a store set up in the terminal where you could order alcohol & pick it up and bring it to your room 20 minutes before the ship sailed.

Is this still the case?

headusher

We'll be on the March 14th Cruise out of Norfolk. I noticed on the HA site that bringing alcohol on board is no longer allowed. When we cruise the Massdam in 2003 they actually had a store set up in the terminal where you could order alcohol & pick it up and bring it to your room 20 minutes before the ship sailed.

Is this still the case?

headusher

many people have reported success getting alcohol through in their checked bags. not that i would ever advocate such a thing ;)

Gotcha - I only bring a bottle of wine and buy Corona on the ship. A bunch of us got busted on the Grandeur. About 20 minutes after boarding a page came over the intercom asking the following people to report to the Custom's Office. Natually I was one of them. They made us open our luggage and then they confiscated our bottles after quite a few arguments.

They charged all of us a $10/bottle corkage fee and told us we could have the bottles during dinner. The frst night I asked the wine steward if I could take the bottles to my cabin. He said "no problem". End of story. What a childish way for the cruiseline to make $20 bucks!!!

headusher

Now, Now Iceman. I thought you wanted to be friends. Let's not start off on the wrong foot. Cheap vs frugal - it's all in the perception.

Some of the drink prices are unrealistice. We are a confined group of people with no other chioice but to pay their prices. I am in the procurement business and I know what the wholesale price of alcohol is. It's the prinicpal of the thing. I hate price gouging.

later,

headusher

Okay, I'll grant you "frugal". ;)

But it's not price gouging--it's supply and demand. You're absolutely correct that cruise ship passengers are a captive audience, but no one is forcing them to buy drinks. That's a choice, and if the prices were too high then people wouldn't drink and HAL wouldn't make any money on alcohol.

Now, all that being said, if you smuggle on some really GOOD stuff then I will happily become a co-conspirator by helping consume your contraband! :D

We were on the most recent Maasdam cruise. Their literature says you may bring wine and champagne onboard, but not liquor. I brought two bottles of local wine and shared with my table mates at dinner. I also bought two of their bottles during other dinners as well. The wine steward was very friendly and considerate.

On our cruise on an RCI ship, we could not bring any alcohol on board. I do not like breaking rules, and did not bring any on that cruise.

As Davedawn said, we had three formal, three informal and five casual nights. I really loved the casual nights. Although, once I was dressed it was no big deal. It was fun walking around the ship and seeing everyone in their finery.

Jan

I only drink wine and an occasional beer. Gave up the hard stuff many moons ago.

I felt the same way about rules until I kept seeing other passengers bring their own private stock on board. One time I saw two guys lugging two cases of beer up the gang plank.

Where are the rest of the passengers for this cruise? We still have a large group going on the Princess site from our last cruise.

headusher

Archived