Using FCC to pay deposit on future cruise

Nonads

My cruise on Viking Star  to the Viking Homelands was cancelled by Viking in April 2020 . I had paid $3000.00 as deposit for 2 persons and they offered FCCC s valid for 2 years.  I am trying to get this transferred to a new booking for August 2021 going on the same itinerary. Same suite and same time. They have  requested a further $1000.00($500.00 each) as a deposit and the FCC will be applied to the cruise fare . As Viking will have held my deposit money for 18 months already I am reluctant to give them any more at this time Has anyone any experience of this “double-dipping “ practice?

Yes, we had the same experience.  We wanted to rebook our Alaska cruise from this August to next summer and make the down payment with the FCC.  Couldn’t be done.  Our TA told us it is the most unpopular part of Vikings’ refund policy and she has to tell them that daily.  

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I would not book if I had to give them more money.  Other lines will let you book with no deposit.  

If the deposit was $20K, as it was for our previous cruise, I would probably not book another cruise at this time.

However, when we booked our May/June 2021 cruise the total deposit was $500 for both of us. Excluding the previous pax discount, the cruise consultant provided $2,500 discounts on the new booking and about another $550 OBC on the current cruise.

The rewards of investing CAN $500 were definitely worth the risk.

While we have no desire to consider other cruise lines, especially mainstream lines, we will definitely risk assess what Viking offers. Currently reviewing and researching a Nile River for Spring 2022.

Did you cruise in March 2020?  Having been stuck on a scary cruise, not Viking, after the no cruise order, I was happy to escape not getting sick. The stress on the March cruise was overwhelming.  It wasn’t fun sailing around not being allowed to stop at ports, most venues on the ship were closed off or wrapped in protective plastic. Not the cruise that I had hoped for. .  I have fcc from that experience that can be used as a deposit on another cruise. Even though, I could book using it, I am cautiously waiting until cruising returns safely.  Obviously a vaccine or cure is needed before even thinking about booking. If all was ok, I would gladly book a vacation.  After being at home for almost 4 months, I need a break.  After returning home in March, I have stayed home most of the time and canceled all future travel/entertainment plans.  I live in New Jersey. While the rate of new virus cases has dropped, people are still getting sick and dying.  This week I was supposed to be on Viking Norway cruise. Viking canceled it and refunded my money.  Maybe another time after Covid 19?  

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Did you cruise in March 2020?  

We spent the entire month of March 2020 on the Viking Sun, in fact we were aboard her from Jan 4th to April 10th. We may have missed most of the ports, but with Viking's attention to detail we experienced one of our best every cruises.

Sorry that you weren't with Viking.

• Like 1

Our cruise was cancelled by Viking.  Around the same time, I also decided to dump my travel agent used for booking.  (Long story - lack of  service, not totally up front about pricing, FCV and OBC etc... )

Anyhow, I dealt with Viking directly on securing FCV for cancelled cruise and rebooking another cruise.

No deposit was required for new cruise.  The balance (new cruise price - FCV) owed Viking was due at final payment.

Edited by Homerody
typos