Cancel now or wait and see?

norwane

Hello,

We are currently booked on what was the Radiance and is now the Breeze for January 2021.   The consensus in the group has been to cancel, due to COVID concerns.  Since Carnival changed the ship, I believe the letter from Carnival said we have until 9/30 to cancel.    We only have a small deposit down, and have trip insurance.   If we lose our $50 deposit it won't be the end of the world.   Should we cancel now or wait to see if Carnival cancels the cruise entirely?   Any pros or cons of canceling now or waiting?

TIA!

We have a back to back on Princess and then Carnival in Jan 2021 and my wife wants me to cancel now because of the mess of Florida and the no travel order for Canada.  But  I want to hold out some hope of a cruise.  I will likely cancel before final payment but would sure like to see some positive improvements in the entire pandemic situation before then to cause me to change my mind. So we are giving it two months before we decide.

Don

• Like 1

If YOU don't want to go on this cruise, then now is the time to cancel. If you intend on cruising no matter what the experience may be, I don't see any reason in cancelling. Carnival has been refunding cruises they cancel.

• Like 1

If they gave you until 9/30 to cancel, I would wait until then before doing anything. If Carnival cancels your cruise before that date, you'll get some extra incentives for rebooking (if you intend to rebook). That's what we are doing with our October cruise - right now it's still scheduled to sail. But with the rise in cases and the new travel restrictions states are putting out, we don't intend on going even if the ship does sail. Plus we don't want to be on one of the first handful of cruises to actually sail if they stick to the planned Oct 1 start date. We're hoping Carnival cancels us so we can take advantage of any credits they offer us to rebook. 

• Like 1

Have to agree, wait until the end of September and then make your decision.  Many things can change for the better or the worse in 2+ months. Hurtigruten just started up I believe and Aida is starting next month in Germany.  So feedback from those cruises could effect when things start up on this side of the pond. If you cancel by 9/30, then you should get your small deposit back.