Cruise Critic News: Contact Tracing, Masks, Swab Tests in Terminal Part of MSC's Return to Cruise Plan

LauraS

• Administrators

(2:15 p.m. EDT) -- In anticipation of a limited restart of cruising later this month in the Mediterranean, MSC Cruises gave more details of their health and safety protocols Tuesday, which are shaping up to be among the most sweeping and innovative that the cruise industry has seen so far.  Speaking on a conference call with media, MSC CEO Gianni ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
iF-w4SbmYQs

View the full article

• Like 1

Msc Cruises has a good plan, but to be honest, it is nothing surprising or innovative.  It seems to me that their safety protocol is almost identical to that created by Tui Cruises (Mein Schiff) which has already started operating in Germany.  The only major difference is that Msc allows getting off for organized excursions, while Tui offers only cruises without getting off.

I’m really hoping this is successful. It sounds promising. Fact is, they are going to get positive cases on board. Its inevitable, it however sounds like they may be able to handle those effectively. 

I would add alot more testing to the mix, however. Periodic while on board and before disembarking. 

4 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I’m really hoping this is successful. It sounds promising. Fact is, they are going to get positive cases on board. Its inevitable, it however sounds like they may be able to handle those effectively. 

I would add alot more testing to the mix, however. Periodic while on board and before disembarking. 

Unless it's the rapid test, does that do any good.  There is a article today about a small cruise in Alaska that had to turn around because a passenger got on positive, he didn't get the test results back until he was aboard.

8 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Unless it's the rapid test, does that do any good.  There is a article today about a small cruise in Alaska that had to turn around because a passenger got on positive, he didn't get the test results back until he was aboard.

They are rapid tests, and the document states passengers will not be boarded until a negative result is obtained. 60-90 minute waiting period (in reality this takes 20min)  Most tests now are of the higher PCR quality, vs the early antigen tests used in Spring. 

• Like 1