How are you all?

AndyMichelle

38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I laid floors in the Dixons there when it was still being built. 

Not sure what year it was but the shopfitters were playing 'Talk Talk' over and over again... 

Andy 

I worked there for a while too ,I was excavating the floor in C&A for the escalators to be installed 

making it a two level shop .That was around 92/93 I think . C&A are not there anymore I think its 

now Argos downstairs and I was told Boots took the rest over.

We used to like the cafe near the statues for our breakfasts and nip into Sainsburys supermarket

(which is not there anymore ) for our drinks & other things to get us through the working day .

Only ever been back once and that was to get my phone sorted at the O2 shop.

I call it Meadow- hell as I am not one for shopping centres .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It was interesting,it rained a little and it was a little windy by Albert docks.

It's been a long time since we went to the Albert Docks. I can remember the weather forecaster jumping all over the floating map of Britain. Is it still there?

Avril

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I worked there for a while too ,I was excavating the floor in C&A for the escalators to be installed 

making it a two level shop .That was around 92/93 I think . C&A are not there anymore I think its 

now Argos downstairs and I was told Boots took the rest over.

We used to like the cafe near the statues for our breakfasts and nip into Sainsburys supermarket

(which is not there anymore ) for our drinks & other things to get us through the working day .

Only ever been back once and that was to get my phone sorted at the O2 shop.

I call it Meadow- hell as I am not one for shopping centres .

I tend to call it Meadow Hell too! Only occasionally go and NEVER at a weekend or school holidays! I remember Sainsburys supermarket being there but can't picture C and A. My husband has only ever visited it twice since it was built.I only go once or twice a year and it is only 14 miles from where we live.I think newer shopping centres where there are outside areas have become more popular now e'g Liverpool One

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's been a long time since we went to the Albert Docks. I can remember the weather forecaster jumping all over the floating map of Britain. Is it still there?

Avril

The floating weather map is gone but a square green floating platoon is still there.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I tend to call it Meadow Hell too! Only occasionally go and NEVER at a weekend or school holidays! I remember Sainsburys supermarket being there but can't picture C and A. My husband has only ever visited it twice since it was built.I only go once or twice a year and it is only 14 miles from where we live.I think newer shopping centres where there are outside areas have become more popular now e'g Liverpool One

Liverpool One is nice.

There are several restaurants on the roof terrace and a large recreation area there too.

The last home Paul McCartney lived in Liverpool where lots of there songs were written is owned by the National Trust.

IMG_20200821_121221.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Liverpool One is nice.

There are several restaurants on the roof terrace and a large recreation area there too.

The last home Paul McCartney lived in Liverpool where lots of there songs were written is owned by the National Trust.

IMG_20200821_121221.jpg

It sounds as if you had a good time.When we visit the area we go to see my Mum who lives in Formby and although we have visited Liverpool One and Albert Dock we have still not managed to take a ferry across the Mersey!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I will wait until I get the call from the doctor for my Flu jab but as you mention those in the 50-64 year age group aren t likely to get theirs until November.Just hope they don't run out!

Interesting that some of you are contacted by your GP practice - certainly not the case here. We have no way of knowing when appointments become available for the jab without checking with the practice (plus the year before last they forgot to order the vaccine, so vaccinated no one and sent us all a letter telling us to go to Boots, but that's another story).

Out of interest, is anyone under 65 on here (or their offspring/grandchildren) in the shielded group? One of my daughters is and I deem her to be at far higher risk than I am, plus with a great deal of her life left, but she's been told her vaccination won't be until October/November.

18 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Interesting that some of you are contacted by your GP practice - certainly not the case here. We have no way of knowing when appointments become available for the jab without checking with the practice (plus the year before last they forgot to order the vaccine, so vaccinated no one and sent us all a letter telling us to go to Boots, but that's another story).

Out of interest, is anyone under 65 on here (or their offspring/grandchildren) in the shielded group? One of my daughters is and I deem her to be at far higher risk than I am, plus with a great deal of her life left, but she's been told her vaccination won't be until October/November.

I am under 65 (just!!) and in the shielded group.When I spoke to my GP recently I asked her if I would be entitled to a free flu vaccine because I was in the shielded group and she told me that I would be entitled to one anyway because they were giving them to anyone 50plus.She said I would be contacted by the surgery but didn t say how soon that would be, Last year I decided to pay for the jab and was one of the first to have it in early September at Boots whereas my husband who had just turned 65 had to wait until late October for his.It may be worth considering paying for your daughter to have the vaccine privately- from memory it was only £11 or £12

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Michelle is 51 and shielded, but usually gets priority for flu jabs.

Surprised about your daughter Annie, I hope they move her up the list... 

Andy 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I am under 65 (just!!) and in the shielded group.When I spoke to my GP recently I asked her if I would be entitled to a free flu vaccine because I was in the shielded group and she told me that I would be entitled to one anyway because they were giving them to anyone 50plus.She said I would be contacted by the surgery but didn t say how soon that would be, Last year I decided to pay for the jab and was one of the first to have it in early September at Boots whereas my husband who had just turned 65 had to wait until late October for his.It may be worth considering paying for your daughter to have the vaccine privately- from memory it was only £11 or £12

Very many thanks, Ann. I didn't realise there was an option to pay - I shall treat her to a nice private vaccination.😊

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle is 51 and shielded, but usually gets priority for flu jabs.

Surprised about your daughter Annie, I hope they move her up the list... 

Andy 

I was surprised too - I fondly imagined they'd firstly do front line NHS etc. staff, followed by the shielded group, followed by the over 65s. Anyway, Ann has made a very helpful suggestion that hadn't dawned upon my little brain, so will follow her excellent advice.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

The year he turned 65, the doctors practice contacted my husband and told him to come in on a particular Saturday for his jab.  I waited outside, and it looked like dinner time in the MDR -  hundreds of people of a certain age were going in! 😂

In subsequent years, the doctor hasn’t contacted him, so he goes to Boots instead 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The year he turned 65, the doctors practice contacted my husband and told him to come in on a particular Saturday for his jab.  I waited outside, and it looked like dinner time in the MDR -  hundreds of people of a certain age were going in! 😂

In subsequent years, the doctor hasn’t contacted him, so he goes to Boots instead 

Before I was 65 I used to go with my husband and wait in the car;  it was terrifying - everyone in the village who should have handed in their driving licence years ago was madly manoeuvring all over the doctors' car park. And now I'm one of them...🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting comments above about the shielded group.

I mentioned this at the surgery the other day, fixing up our flu jabs, and they’re taking the approach that because shielding has been ‘paused’ since earlier this month the special arrangements they had in place have all been discontinued.

That includes flu jabs, and it’s being done solely by age.

I think many of us feel that dropping shielding makes very little medical sense, and are still taking exactly the same precautions. A lower risk of contracting the virus perhaps, but just as high a risk of very serious consequences.

Is that the view here amongst the shielded?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I mentioned this at the surgery the other day, fixing up our flu jabs, and they’re taking the approach that because shielding has been ‘paused’ since earlier this month the special arrangements they had in place have all been discontinued.

I think many of us feel that dropping shielding makes very little medical sense, and are still taking exactly the same precautions. A lower risk of contracting the virus perhaps, but just as high a risk of very serious consequences.

Thats my view, too Harry, that my risk of serious complications is just the same now as a few months earlier but that I am much less likely to catch covid at the moment because of the fall in cases (only 5 per 100,000 where I live) I am going out more and being cautious but not too worried at the moment.I feel sure that one reason for 'pausing' shielding was financial. It meant the government could stop the food parcels (I ordered food online and still do) so didn t need the food parcel and also Boris seemed to want to get everyone back to work whatever the cost! I do feel for those in the shielded group who have to make a choice between returning to work or continuing to shield with the prospect of not getting paid or losing their job

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Does your husband have to pay for the vaccine if he goes to Boots?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A difficult one, Harry. Very easy for those of retirement age to carry on shielding, far more difficult for those younger, like my daughter. She now goes into the office a couple of times a week (public sector job, so very flexible and all correct protocols in place, so she's lucky). Cases here very low as well; if she lived in, say, Oldham, I would probably feel very differently. But I do think the extremely vulnerable younger groups should be prioritised for the flu jab above we ancient baby boomers!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I still get hosed down with neat bleach and scrubbed from head to toe when I come home and although Michelle has ventured out slightly, she still won't go in shops etc. 

These measures may be doing absolutely nothing, but we can't afford to take too much of a risk. 

Andy 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

It sounds as if you had a good time.When we visit the area we go to see my Mum who lives in Formby and although we have visited Liverpool One and Albert Dock we have still not managed to take a ferry across the Mersey!!

Thanks,we have had a fantastic time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No, as he’s over 65 he gets it free. I suppose Boots claim the money from the NHS. They also inform his GP that it’s done 

Thank you. That's useful to know.I may well book an appointment at Boots so I don't have to wait until October or November