P&O Update

molecrochip

From P&O:

We have acknowledged the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) guidance and extended our pause in operations by a further month. It is clear that whilst the guidance is in place, it’s not advisable for us to resume sailing.

As well as all cruises sailing up to and including 12 November 2020, we will sadly also be cancelling Aurora’s Caribbean and South America Adventure and Arcadia’s World Cruise holidays sailing from January - March 2021. Given long-term planning, combined with the complexity and length of these long-haul itineraries and evolving border restrictions, we need to ensure that we adhere to the current guidance.

We know that these cruises, in particular, are holidays of a lifetime and we are so sorry for the disappointment that these cancellations will cause.

We continue to work in partnership with public health agencies at the highest level as well as Department for Transport, EU Healthy Gateways and Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry governing body. We will follow all applicable guidelines to enhance our already stringent measures to keep our guests and crew healthy and well and we will not resume sailing until this approved framework is in place. Fundamentally, we will be adopting best practice within the travel industry.

The good news is that confidence in cruising is strong and we are seeing increasing and significant demand for our holidays so we are optimistic for the future. We know that the FCO guidance is under constant review and we are hopeful that, as they are aware of the work the industry is doing, this will change before too long.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

From P&O:

We have acknowledged the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) guidance and extended our pause in operations by a further month. It is clear that whilst the guidance is in place, it’s not advisable for us to resume sailing.

As well as all cruises sailing up to and including 12 November 2020, we will sadly also be cancelling Aurora’s Caribbean and South America Adventure and Arcadia’s World Cruise holidays sailing from January - March 2021. Given long-term planning, combined with the complexity and length of these long-haul itineraries and evolving border restrictions, we need to ensure that we adhere to the current guidance.

We know that these cruises, in particular, are holidays of a lifetime and we are so sorry for the disappointment that these cancellations will cause.

We continue to work in partnership with public health agencies at the highest level as well as Department for Transport, EU Healthy Gateways and Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry governing body. We will follow all applicable guidelines to enhance our already stringent measures to keep our guests and crew healthy and well and we will not resume sailing until this approved framework is in place. Fundamentally, we will be adopting best practice within the travel industry.

The good news is that confidence in cruising is strong and we are seeing increasing and significant demand for our holidays so we are optimistic for the future. We know that the FCO guidance is under constant review and we are hopeful that, as they are aware of the work the industry is doing, this will change before too long.

Thanks molecrochip. So no Canaries cruise from Oct 31 for us then. ☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Thanks molecrochip. So no Canaries cruise from Oct 31 for us then. ☹️

Sadly no, but you will have the fun of deciding whether to take FCC, move your cruise to later or the excitement of anticipating when you will get your money back.

I just wonder when cruises will restart, hopefully, given that the pause is only for an extra month it may be this year.

I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms now.

My sister has convinced us to go with them on a Round Britain cruise with Princess next year and we booked it yesterday, it will be my sister and brother-in-law's first cruise so I really hope it goes ahead.

• Like 5

I think they’ve done the right thing to cancel the Arcadia world cruise and the Aurora round South America cruise. It was obvious that these could not proceed, and they’ve saved passengers the worry of paying large balances for cruises that won’t proceed or wondering whether to cancel and have to lose a substantial deposit. I checked the  P&O website and noticed that the 35 night Ventura cruises in January and February have also disappeared from the schedule, so it looks like these have been cancelled too.

However, I think the rest of the cancellations up to 12 November 2020 is just pussy footing around the issue. I would have expected cancellations up until the end of the year at the least. They could schedule short cruises, like Tui and Aida to get them going again if the FCO advice changes this year. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sadly no, but you will have the fun of deciding whether to take FCC, move your cruise to later or the excitement of anticipating when you will get your money back.

I just wonder when cruises will restart, hopefully, given that the pause is only for an extra month it may be this year.

I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms now.

My sister has convinced us to go with them on a Round Britain cruise with Princess next year and we booked it yesterday, it will be my sister and brother-in-law's first cruise so I really hope it goes ahead.

It would be helpful to know the position over whether the Caribbean cruises will operate. Both Azura and Britannia were due to sail to Barbados in October which presumably means they could sail empty in time for the first Barbados departure when cruises resume. 

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

It would be helpful to know the position over whether the Caribbean cruises will operate. Both Azura and Britannia were due to sail to Barbados in October which presumably means they could sail empty in time for the first Barbados departure when cruises resume. 

Good point, I guess we need to keep an eye on where Azura and Britannia are, if they move away from the UK and head to the Caribbean then we can assume that the Caribbean cruises will operate.

• Like 1

Hi all,

My 24th October cruise on Iona has been cancelled and I’ve requested a refund.

I know it’s going to be a long wait, but how do they actually issue refunds, eg, cheque?

I don’t want it to be credited to my MasterCard (which is how we paid)!

Thanks. 

Just now, Josy1953 said:

Good point, I guess we need to keep an eye on where Azura and Britannia are, if they move away from the UK and head to the Caribbean then we can assume that the Caribbean cruises will operate.

I imagine P&O would love to know if and when they can start their Caribbean season as well, but until they can convince the govt to relax the FCO guidelines nobody knows.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I checked the  P&O website and noticed that the 35 night Ventura cruises in January and February have also disappeared from the schedule, so it looks like these have been cancelled too.

These are listed as sold out rather than cancelled and have been for a few days.

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

The Caribbean islands desperately want cruises to return. By sailing empty to the Caribbean would help with crew on-board quarantining.

My expectation now is the Aurora and Arcadia wont sale until after their, now, cancelled cruises in 2021.

• Like 1

Regarding the FCO advice. I think its clear that the UK government aren't going to change anything until we see how the Aida, Costa and MSC relaunches go. They have all now been approved but a month later than desired. With that in mind, a month extension on the UK no-sail seems sensible.

As we have seen with flying, the UK Government can retract their advice at hours notice. Arnold Donald said it would take 30 days to mobile a ship. What we now have is a scenario whereby if the other relaunches go well, say by mid-late September, the UK Government may tip the wink to P&O that they can restart in middle of November.

Logically on current plans, it will now be Ventura first from Southampton and Iona in December with the Caribbean added it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evelyn9597 said:

Hi all,

I know it’s going to be a long wait, but how do they actually issue refunds, eg, cheque?

Thanks. 

They’ll issue the refund to the source of the original payment, so it will go to your credit card. When the payment reaches your credit card, you can ask your bank to transfer the funds to another account.

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

They’ll issue the refund to the source of the original payment, so it will go to your credit card. When the payment reaches your credit card, you can ask your bank to transfer the funds to another account.

Many thanks for the speedy reply. 

I didn’t know it was possible to transfer the  balance of a credit card! I’m relieved to hear this. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No they don’t we just had a cheque even though it was paid by card just like all the others which were refunded straight to the bank it’s lucky dip as to how they pay and when they pay

20 minutes ago, Evelyn9597 said:

Hi all,

Thanks. 

Mine was paid back to the card it was paid for on.

• Like 1