SILVER DAWN: Delayed Delivery and Cancelled Voyages

Cruise Wonderland

The first 5 voyages of Silver Dawn in the inaugural season (Sep-Oct 2021) will be cancelled.

Below information has been sent to TAs yesterday, and it will be sent to guests and officially announced by Silversea today.

We are so sorry to share some disappointing news. Silver Dawn, currently under construction in Italy and our sister to the lovely Silver Moon, will be delayed and as such we'll be canceling a handful of its planned inaugural voyages.

The reason, as you may have surmised, is that because of the pandemic-related shutdown of Fincantieri's shipyard in Ancona, ships-under-construction may be delayed, as is Silver Dawn. As of now, the exact delivery date remains undefined, but we know that these voyages have been cancelled:

VOYAGE DATE FROM TO
DA210922009 22/09/21 Civitavecchia Venice
DA211001012 01/10/21 Venice Piraeus
DA211013007 13/10/21 Piraeus Piraeus
DA211020010 20/10/21 Piraeus Civitavecchia
DA211030010 30/10/21 Civitavecchia Barcelona

We will make sure to keep you posted as we navigate through this unfamiliar terrain.

Your client will receive a similar communication tomorrow.
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with someone in the Reservations team yesterday because we are considering a cruise on Dawn in Feb 2022. He said they have cancelled the inaugural 'Med season" due to delays at the shipyard but the revised launch date will now be later in 2021, probably early/mid November. 

I'm not convinced that can be guaranteed as any further resurgence of the virus may still delay proceedings - even if reliable vaccines exist.

Whilst we are hopeful that some sort of normality will have resumed by Feb 22, actually taking the plunge & booking a cruise is still a massive risk in my view. Despite the offers etc, not sure if we'll go for it just yet.

Edited by Pies4u

On 8/14/2020 at 4:23 AM, Pies4u said:

I spoke with someone in the Reservations team yesterday because we are considering a cruise on Dawn in Feb 2022. He said they have cancelled the inaugural 'Med season" due to delays at the shipyard but the revised launch date will now be later in 2021, probably early/mid November. 

I'm not convinced that can be guaranteed as any further resurgence of the virus may still delay proceedings - even if reliable vaccines exist.

Whilst we are hopeful that some sort of normality will have resumed by Feb 22, actually taking the plunge & booking a cruise is still a massive risk in my view. Despite the offers etc, not sure if we'll go for it just yet.

We are not yet convinced also.  We were booked on the lovely inaugural on the Dawn....Rome to Venice....with overnights in Sorrento & Corfu on Sept 22, 2021.  So very disappointed.  Looks like the inaugural will be Barcelona to Lisbon before she sets sail for Florida....to spend the Winter in South America.  I think at the very least an antibody cocktail will be coming forth soon from Regeneron, this September.   We expect it will be well received, but lots to sort out in 2021.  The Pharmas are working at warped speed. We will look forward to May/June 2022.  The Dawn looks amazing as does the Moon.  We were on the Muse last Dec and loved it.  Dawn seems to improve on the things we felt lacking on the Muse.  Keeping our fingers crossed for a big turn around. 

Well, change of plan - just committed to the 21 night cruise in Feb 2022!

It is a combination renewed optimism, recklessness, blind faith and pretty good deal that swayed us. The fact that some RCCL ships have been delayed for a further 10 months but Dawn is one of 3 that are facing only a 3 month delay helped to persuade me that the parent company have some confidence in the brand & ship.

There is still along way to go, so, hopefully, the cruise industry will re-emerge and be on the wh to recovery by Feb 22.