National Rum Day?

markeb

Don't know how much longer this thread will run. It's been kind of fun, but it kind of inevitably morphs off the ship!

I don't expect Celebrity to suddenly have a great selection of aged rums onboard (or Bourbon, or Scotch whisky, etc.). There are a number of reasons for that, but one of the big ones is the need for some consistency. Rum doesn't appear to be as allocated as some other spirits, but you have a limited amount of space, your passengers in general are likely looking for something similar to what they had on their last cruise, and much though I (and about another 1-2% probably of cruisers on this board) would love it, they're not going to dedicate space to a high end whisky/rum/tequila bar. It doesn't make sense. It's the same reason you're not going to find that wonderful 400 cases a year Washington State Bordeaux style blend that you love. It might make the wine list of a Michelin starred restaurant for a quarter, but there's just not enough of it to support a wine list on a cruise ship. I don't know if it's still true, but years ago, HAL did have a great wine list in their Pinnacle Grill, and we had the opportunity to talk to their head sommelier. Because of their corporate location in Seattle, they had an amazing selection of Washington wines, but other than the various Chateau Ste. Michelle brands, the higher end wines were in the Pinnacle Grill.

In the real world we live in, most spirit producers are owned by someone else. So, just for fun, from Wikipedia because their own web page scatters this over pages and pages, here's what Bacardi owns:

Rum: Bacardi, Havana Club (USA only), Castillo, Banks, Pyrat XO Reserve, Oakheart Spice Rum
Vodka: Grey Goose, Eristoff, Ultimat Vodka, Russian Prince, 42 Below, Plume & Petal
Tequila: Patrón, Corzo, Cazadores, Camino Real
Gin: Bombay Sapphire, Bosford, Oxley
Scotch Whisky: Dewar's, Aberfeldy, Craigellachie, Royal Brackla, Aultmore, The Deveron, Glen Deveron, William Lawson's
Bourbon: Angel's Envy
Cognac: Otard, D'ussé Cognac, Gaston De LaGrange
Cachaça: Leblon Cachaça
Vermouth: Martini & Rossi, Noilly Prat
Sparkling wine: Martini Prosecco, Martini Asti, Martini rosé
Liqueur: Bénédictine, St-Germain, Get 27, Get 31, Nassau Royale, Martini Spirito, Patrón liqueurs

So a corporate deal with Bacardi, which seems sort of whatever, gets you Grey Goose, Patron, Dewars, Aberfeldy, Angel's Envy, etc. 

Ron Zacapa is owned by Diageo, who also owns Johnnie Walker and Haig, along with Guinness, Ketel One, Tanqueray, and Buillett. 

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world! Enjoy a great aged rum neat, or a great rum cocktail! The best spirit is the one you enjoy!

22 hours ago, markeb said:

The only Clement that appears to be available in Virginia is a VSOP that reports 4 years aging and an XO for 6 years.

We are actually worse than PA. Total state ownership of the whole distribution and retail system. 

We can get Clement VSOP for $40 in some state stores.  The Rhum Clement Cuvee Homere is special order listed at $86.  All wine ans spirits in PA, like VA, are a state run monopoly.  I got my Clement in Martinique and brought it home with me- in the old days of cruising!

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We can get Clement VSOP for $40 in some state stores.  The Rhum Clement Cuvee Homere is special order listed at $86.  All wine ans spirits in PA, like VA, are a state run monopoly.  I got my Clement in Martinique and brought it home with me- in the old days of cruising!

The Clement VSOP is $41 at VABC, plus tax. The XO is $139.99, and that's as good as it gets in Virginia.

At least our wines are outside of the state stores!

14 hours ago, markeb said:

The Clement VSOP is $41 at VABC, plus tax. The XO is $139.99, and that's as good as it gets in Virginia.

At least our wines are outside of the state stores!

We can buy limited wine selections and beer at some supermarkets.