National Rum Day?

markeb

Who knew such a thing existed? In the United States, it's today, August 16.

Since so many US based cruises are in the Caribbean, arguably the drink of the Caribbean is rum, and honestly, Celebrity (at least on ships with a World Class Bar) has had a pretty decent rum selection (and, obviously, all the rum-based cocktails you can imagine), It seems like a good time to lighten up the mood a bit and talk about fermented sugar or molasses!

Probably my two favorites that are perfect for just sipping are from Ron Zacapa.

The 23-year old Sistema Solera.

71LuNJVzKsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've never really looked into how common solera aging is in rum; it's very common in Sherry. The Solera is essentially a balance tank/balance barrel that contains an eternal mixture of spirit. You always bottle from the Solera, and then you add younger spirits to refill. I have a couple of sherries in the house that go back close to 100 years in the Solera. Guatemalan rum. The World Class Bar (you can find recipes online) makes a rum old-fashioned with it that's an amazing twist on a classic whiskey cocktail.

Ron Zacapa XO

71IHnSly+FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also a Solera aged rum, and one I believe I first discovered at the WBC on Reflection. I actually have an unopened bottle of this at home; it just might get opened tonight! The oldest rum in here is supposed to be about 25 years old, and it's finished in Cognac barrels. Not inexpensive, but if you like straight up rum at all, it's beyond amazing.

And another one I really like: Rhum Barbancourt 15 year

rum_bar1.jpg

Picked up a couple of bottles of this years ago on I think Explorer of the Seas. One of the I think two cruises we drove to. Still have a bottle hanging out in the basement, although I was just looking and discovered I can now buy this in Virginia. Haitian rum. Barbancourt has some kind of bland young rums, and then there's the 15.

No, I'm not a rum snob! We're perfectly happy with a Lava Flow, Pina Colada, or a Mai Tai. And of course a rum punch on the islands! Never got into the Mojito thing, but I know people who love them. In the interest of something other than refunds, future cruise credits, vaccines, testing, etc., pitch in with your favorite rums and favorite rum drinks, mostly on X obviously, but if you've found something (cocktail or rum) that you love, pitch in!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of the best rums I've had was a house brand from A.H. Riise in St Thomas. This was quite a few years ago that I got it. I saw the recommendation from a guy that had a rum blog of his tastings and findings in the Caribbean. He raved about it.  It had a funny little straw hat on the lid and a fairly plain label. At the time is was $20 for a bottle which was fairly steep at the time, especially for a house brand. Unfortunately I only bought one bottle of it and when I got back home and discovered how good it was I couldn't wait to get more. It was a few years before I happened to be there again and they didn't carry it anymore. Actually no one in the store even knew what I was talking about. Talk about being disappointed. 

I'm a big fan of Flor De Cana which is a Nicaraguan rum. Any of the stuff below the 7 year old is a good mixer and anything 7 and above is good for sipping. I also enjoy the real Havana Club from Cuba. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I'm a big fan of Flor De Cana which is a Nicaraguan rum. Any of the stuff below the 7 year old is a good mixer and anything 7 and above is good for sipping. I also enjoy the real Havana Club from Cuba. 

Which Flor De Cana? I see 12, 18, and 25 year olds in their aged rums. Curious which ones you've had and  your thoughts.

And, yeah, a really good house rum would be a good find. Here in Virginia, everything's state run, so there are no Trader Joe's brands, for instance, which could be a really good buy.

Smoked Zacapa

We visited their tasting room several years ago. High point was the smoked xo. The used a smoke gun and larger glass dome to make a straight liquor that even my wife liked. It was cheaper at large chain liquor store at home, and we did not have to carry it. Did buy rum filled chocolates.

Last time we were on Celebrity, the 23 was listed smoked at World Class bar, but did not have a smoke gun board.

Volcano was smoking and rumbling when we were there, erupted with loss of life a couple of weeks later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like Ron Zacapa 23, but to be honest it's a bit rich for me. My wife loves it though so we always some around. It's that solera style and you see the same thing in Sherry such as PX. I don't drink a lot of rum neat but I do like some of the premium Mount Gay versions. The XO is a good introduction in this style. I also like some of the Flor de Cana rums and the extra seco is a great white mixing rum that is better than some of the more well known brands for not much more money.   

26 minutes ago, JL87 said:

I also like some of the Flor de Cana rums and the extra seco is a great white mixing rum that is better than some of the more well known brands for not much more money.   

I'm going to have to track down some Flor de Cana. That's the second recommendation for it! What age range do you prefer?

The Extra Seco is sold in Virginia, but I rarely do a mixed drink with rum. But it does sound like a good, not overly expensive, premium white rum.

20 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'm going to have to track down some Flor de Cana. That's the second recommendation for it! What age range do you prefer?

The Extra Seco is sold in Virginia, but I rarely do a mixed drink with rum. But it does sound like a good, not overly expensive, premium white rum.

I've had them all but don't drink them very often. If you like the Ron Zacapa 23 I would try the Flor de Cana 25. It costs more but is also more complex. They're all good though and worth trying. That said, I never find the complexity in any rum that I find in a great Scotch, but sometimes that's OK. There's a time and place for good rum too. 

Edited by JL87

8 minutes ago, JL87 said:

I've had them all but don't drink them very often. If you like the Ron Zacapa 23 I would try the Flor de Cana 25. It costs more but is also more complex. They're all good though and worth trying. That said, I never find the complexity in any rum that I find in a great Scotch, but sometimes that's OK. There's a time and place for good rum too. 

Thanks! I'm with you on the Scotch comparison. I'm not looking for that in rum...

Of course, in Virginia, the state monopoly has sent the 25 to southwestern Virginia with the Buffalo Trace, Wellers, and every other high end liquor that sells like wildfire in Northern Virginia and rots on the shelf down there. I can get 18 in NoVA...

Although Zacapa 23 is a very fine rum in my opinion, note that it is a blend of rums aged between 6 and 23 years.  Probably more heavily on the lower end of the age range.  So there might be other rums that are single barrels say aged 8 years or ten years that are better than the Zacapa 23 in terms of aging.  Try a Clement 10 year (aged 10-14 years) or even a Clement 15 year from Martinique.  Very very good!

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 1

Just want to add that I am no connoisseur of rum, but do love drinks with it.  I would like to share a memory of getting off the ship in Barbados and smelling the sweet smell of molasses wafting in the warm, Caribbean wind.  Great memory.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Try a Clement 10 year (aged 10-14 years) or even a Clement 15 year from Martinique.  Very very good!

The only Clement that appears to be available in Virginia is a VSOP that reports 4 years aging and an XO for 6 years.

We are actually worse than PA. Total state ownership of the whole distribution and retail system. 

14 hours ago, markeb said:

Of course, in Virginia, the state monopoly has sent the 25 to southwestern Virginia with the Buffalo Trace, Wellers, and every other high end liquor that sells like wildfire in Northern Virginia and rots on the shelf down there. I can get 18 in NoVA...

Hi,

So just curious about this (being a Virginian and bourbon luvr)...but knowing "next to nothing" about the spirits retail business, and even less than "next to nothing" about the State controlled spirits retail business...but why would VA ABC want to send spirits that they know would sell quickly off the shelf in say...NoVa, or Ric or Tidewater area to SW VA ? Doesn't seem to make much business sense, or state revenue generating sense ?? 

Thanks

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr
spelling

22 minutes ago, BourbonNBluesLuvr said:

Hi,

So just curious about this (being a Virginian and bourbon luvr)...but knowing "next to nothing" about the spirits retail business, and even less than "next to nothing" about the State controlled spirits retail business...but why would VA ABC want to send spirits that they know would sell quickly off the shelf in say...NoVa, or Ric or Tidewater area to SW VA ? Doesn't seem to make much business sense, or state revenue generating sense ?? 

Thanks

BBL

And you expect business sense from a government bureaucracy?

Happy cruising and sipping - certainly sipping sooner than cruising! 

33 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

And you expect business sense from a government bureaucracy?

Happy cruising and sipping - certainly sipping sooner than cruising! 

Haha...well I guess we can hope that someone there has some business sense !! And just reading online that in fiscal year 2019 they generated over $ 1 Billion in revenue...so, someone must be doing something fairly right !

Sipping indeed before cruising....although it's not as good as sipping while cruising !!😁

BBL

19 hours ago, markeb said:

Which Flor De Cana? I see 12, 18, and 25 year olds in their aged rums. Curious which ones you've had and  your thoughts.

And, yeah, a really good house rum would be a good find. Here in Virginia, everything's state run, so there are no Trader Joe's brands, for instance, which could be a really good buy.

I've had the 12 & 18. I've also had plenty of the 7 & 4. I'm not really a big one for describing spirits with flowery/nutty etc analogies, so I'll just say they're a nice smooth tasty rum. They are unlike the strong sugar cane flavors you get from Appleton, Brugal, Pryat and some others. As a scotch drinker I'm completely ok with drinking the 12 or 18 with a couple cubes of ice. Good sipping rum. 

2 hours ago, BourbonNBluesLuvr said:

Hi,

Thanks

BBL

It may be that there are restaurants down there that order them, for instance. In VA, VABC is the only supplier of liquor, including to bars and restaurants (bars theoretically don't exist in the DMV as they all have to serve food), so you'll find VABC stores with huge stock levels in places that seem to make no sense, because they supply the restaurants. If you go onto the VABC web page and search for something at your local store, if it's not there, you have an option to find in nearby stores; for an allocated Bourbon, in NoVA, it's not unusual for that store to be 150-175 miles away, and they may have 8-10 bottles available. Before March, you could order most of those, and they'd deliver from either the warehouse or move stock from one store to another for you. Now the online ordering is only for your store (and I think you have to select a new store to order at that store), and generally not available for allocated items (marked Store Only). It's a little crazy.

I view it as the same reason there's a 2-3 story cloverleaf intersection in the middle of a field (that was a few years ago; there's probably a Wa Wa now 🤨) on the road from Richmond to Lynchburg and before telework we were paying $30-40 a day to Transurban to avoid a 3-hour commute...

Sorry for those of you not in Virginia! A little inside baseball, but some of it probably applies in other ABC states. 

@markebThat's really interesting about Virginia wine and spirit distribution. I didn't know it was like that. I just checked MacArthur in DC as I figured that may be somewhat close, and they don't carry the 25 yo either. I live in the very Deep South of Georgia right on the Florida line so I have easy access to two states. Even then, I figured most had it better than us. BTW, the 18 yo is very nice and you should pick up a bottle to try. It's fairly inexpensive as well. It will give you a good idea of the style. You should also pick up a bottle of the Mount Gay XO. I like that style too.   

3 minutes ago, JL87 said:

@markebThat's really interesting about Virginia wine and spirit distribution. I didn't know it was like that. I just checked MacArthur in DC as I figured that may be somewhat close, and they don't carry the 25 yo either. I live in the very Deep South of Georgia right on the Florida line so I have easy access to two states. Even then, I figured most had it better than us. BTW, the 18 yo is very nice and you should pick up a bottle to try. It's fairly inexpensive as well. It will give you a good idea of the style. You should also pick up a bottle of the Mount Gay XO. I like that style too.   

Virginia is state run. Good news: Pappy is sold (by lottery, of course) at retail. Bad news: It wouldn't matter if you bought $50K of booze from them in the year; you'd still be in the lottery. DC sells everything everywhere. There are some really nice stores, but the prices can get crazy. I believe hotels, restaurants, etc., in DC can buy direct from distributors, but they're still going to be in the allocation nightmare for allocated product. Calvert Woodley has historically been one of the places to shop, but there are a number of small places near the convention center, for instance, that randomly bring in high end bourbon; the rum thing is recent for me. Maryland has its own unique laws, and you sometimes find really interesting product in some place in the suburbs whose windows are papered with Bud Light signs (other than a very few grocery locations, all alcoholic beverages, beer, wine, liquor in Maryland has to be purchased at a liquor store). It's kind of interesting going up to the counter with a limited release Michter's behind the guy with three bottles of MD 20/20. I'm also retired military, so I can shop on post, but most of those stores are incredibly pedestrian i their offerings, with the bizarre exception of the Navy Exchange next to the hospital in Bethesda!

Beer and wine have different rules in Virginia and are sold outside the state system. Groceries stores, small wine shops, and Total Wine.

I went on a tequila kick a few years ago, and it was largely the same. If you drink Bourbon above $35/bottle, you've seen the allocation nightmare out there. Colorado, New York, Texas, etc., for the most part aren't heavily allocated. The couple of true Bourbons distilled in Virginia can be, even for Virginians.

I've actually found better deals, and of course better selections, in Midtown Manhattan...

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

Virginia is state run. Good news: Pappy is sold (by lottery, of course) at retail. Bad news: It wouldn't matter if you bought $50K of booze from them in the year; you'd still be in the lottery. DC sells everything everywhere. There are some really nice stores, but the prices can get crazy. I believe hotels, restaurants, etc., in DC can buy direct from distributors, but they're still going to be in the allocation nightmare for allocated product. Calvert Woodley has historically been one of the places to shop, but there are a number of small places near the convention center, for instance, that randomly bring in high end bourbon; the rum thing is recent for me. Maryland has its own unique laws, and you sometimes find really interesting product in some place in the suburbs whose windows are papered with Bud Light signs (other than a very few grocery locations, all alcoholic beverages, beer, wine, liquor in Maryland has to be purchased at a liquor store). It's kind of interesting going up to the counter with a limited release Michter's behind the guy with three bottles of MD 20/20. I'm also retired military, so I can shop on post, but most of those stores are incredibly pedestrian i their offerings, with the bizarre exception of the Navy Exchange next to the hospital in Bethesda!

Beer and wine have different rules in Virginia and are sold outside the state system. Groceries stores, small wine shops, and Total Wine.

I went on a tequila kick a few years ago, and it was largely the same. If you drink Bourbon above $35/bottle, you've seen the allocation nightmare out there. Colorado, New York, Texas, etc., for the most part aren't heavily allocated. The couple of true Bourbons distilled in Virginia can be, even for Virginians.

I've actually found better deals, and of course better selections, in Midtown Manhattan...

I'm always afraid of the lottery system. If I get one bottle I'm scared to open it because I might never see another. It's a psychological thing. I do have some Pappy but drink it sparingly.

Good to hear you can buy wine in the free market. My problem with wine is that I'm a Burgundy lover and the allocations are excruciating and expensive. Luckily I have a cellar full of good ones so I'm self allocating those for me. 

One thing about Total Wine. I've never bought a bottle of wine there, but they often have a great selection of Cognacs and Armagnacs. The latter can be a great value. Something you may want to look into.

And to bring this back to Celebrity in case someone would want to move this thread. Lots of great wines and spirits available on board so we just want to find things that may be available. Plus, not much else to really talk about these days. 

2 minutes ago, JL87 said:

I'm always afraid of the lottery system. If I get one bottle I'm scared to open it because I might never see another. It's a psychological thing. I do have some Pappy but drink it sparingly.

Good to hear you can buy wine in the free market. My problem with wine is that I'm a Burgundy lover and the allocations are excruciating and expensive. Luckily I have a cellar full of good ones so I'm self allocating those for me. 

One thing about Total Wine. I've never bought a bottle of wine there, but they often have a great selection of Cognacs and Armagnacs. The latter can be a great value. Something you may want to look into.

And to bring this back to Celebrity in case someone would want to move this thread. Lots of great wines and spirits available on board so we just want to find things that may be available. Plus, not much else to really talk about these days. 

I hear you. We have a great local wine shop and I've had shots at some good Burgundy. DW is not a fan of barnyard, so we compromise on Willamette Valley and Russian River. They won't lay down as long, but I don't know that I'll be here for the "drink by" on some of my port and California cabs/blends! And anything over I think 14% (top end of Port, Sherry, and Madeira) is liquor in Virginia and not in Total Wine.

And I've never won a Pappy lottery. I have about two good pours of I think a Family Red that needs to be finished before the angels claim it. From when it was just sitting on the shelf...

And I was also going to bring things back to Celebrity in a minute!

21 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm not a straight rum sipping type of person, but I really like Flor de Cana 7 for mixing (dark and stormy yummm), because I am cheap and it was easy to find.  I remember it being significantly <$20, but haven't bought it for a while, and it looks like it's more expensive now? sad, maybe I will have to branch out too.

Edited by UnorigionalName