What makes cruising the Panama Canal better/worse on different ships?

Vibrantvirgo81

We are looking at cruising with Carnival b/c their dates matched up better (Sept 2022) and I have some cruise credit and on board credit. I've been reading a lot though and others mentioned Holland or Princess are the top lines to cruise with for the Canal cruise. Neither have dates available yet for Sept 2022 and I don't know if they will (current calendars don't show any sailings in Sept). I already asked off work for that specific time frame and I will be getting my answer tomorrow. Maybe I jumped the gun here and should have done more research before asking for that time off but with our credits I didn't even think twice about looking elsewhere. 😞 Am I going to regret it now? We're looking at getting a suite or balcony since there are so many Sea Days. It starts in Seattle and the stops are Cabo, Huatulco, Puntarenas, and Cartagena with it ending in Miami. 

Thanks! 

I think part of the reason that HAL and Princess get high marks for Canal cruises is the two of them supply a large portion of the available cruises in any given season.  They both also make Canal transits throughout the winter/spring which is usually considered the Canal "season.''  On the other hand Carnival tends to make a lot of their Canal transits in conjunction with moving their ships to and from Alaska and Caribbean itineraries.

You seem like you are happy with Carnival and with the reasons you noted certainly made Carnival a logical choice.  Transiting the Canal will be the same regardless of which cruise line you choose.  What makes the difference is that you like what the line has to offer and having a ship going when it is convenient to you to travel.  The ports you mentioned are the ones that are frequently found on complete Canal cruises.

Well, it appears to be a really good price for a 16 day cruise.  My only reservation would be that Carnival Freedom goes through the new locks, not the more historic original locks.  Would not be my choice for a first/only Panama Canal cruise.  Yes, I have done both.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, it appears to be a really good price for a 16 day cruise.  My only reservation would be that Carnival Freedom goes through the new locks, not the more historic original locks.  Would not be my choice for a first/only Panama Canal cruise.  Yes, I have done both.  EM

I found a cruise with Princess that uses the old locks but it's in April of 2021 and they currently only have cruises up to March  2022 posted. Do you think it would be best to wait until the rest of the 2022 cruises are posted and go with Princess (assuming they are still going to be offering the historical locks)?  

Princess has cruises on both Coral and Island in April 2021.  Either will be preferable to me, and if they go (to Alaska) in April, they will be coming back in Sept.  But if you are using Carnival credits, only you can decide.  EM

• Thanks 1

@Essiesmom and @BillB48 Thank you so much for your input. I've booked a 5 day Eastern Caribbean with Carnival to use those credits and will be booking our Panama trip through Princess and going through the Historical locks. 🙂 We also get an additional stop using Princess, so it's a win-win. 

Edited by Vibrantvirgo81
Submitted too soon.

1 hour ago, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

@Essiesmom and @BillB48 Thank you so much for your input. I've booked a 5 day Eastern Caribbean with Carnival to use those credits and will be booking our Panama trip through Princess and going through the Historical locks. 🙂 We also get an additional stop using Princess, so it's a win-win. 

The bulk of a Canal transit is the same without regard to which locks are used, however I too believe that your first transit is more rewarding using the original locks.  There is so much more visual interests at the original locks, the ship really fills the lock chamber, you see another ship/s in the adjacent lane and of course the "mules".  Good choice!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

If on Island or Coral, my favourite place to watch the canal transit is one of the fwd deck below the Bridge.

• Like 1