Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Quebec

Yes. I'm running out of Canadian ports that host Cunard ships. I wish there were more calls in Quebec City. Usually there is one a year. Last year there were two as there were supposed to be this year, but next year there is one. Being an optimist we have booked for that departure in 13 months.

2 hours ago, sogne said:

anybody up on boat design  will have a head start in identifying the country if not the port

cab.jpg

This one is Andalsnes, Norway.

Being sadly deficient in any education regarding boat design, it was more helpful for me to track down the "Kaikanten" at the right in your photo. Eventually found one matching your photo that said it was in Andalsnes and then everything fell into place from there to match the rest of your photo to Andalsnes.

11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

... And the ship? (I think Hattie knows)

@Host Hattie, I have a hunch @Colin_Cameron might be referring to this previous comment of his about your earlier Arrecife photo.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

Two Cunard ships. QM2 (obviously) and Cunard Crown Dynasty ( now Fred Olsen’s Braemar)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

For those who might want another try at identifying the second ship in my Tortola photo, here's a larger version of that ship to assist with your efforts. I don't think the name is fully legible, but there's probably enough there to help confirm the identification.

image.thumb.png.a0f9628086ecd1ddc33c5115746ca754.png

Can't work out if it's Marina or Riviera. I don't know enough about them to tell the difference.

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This one is Andalsnes, Norway.

Being sadly deficient in any education regarding boat design, it was more helpful for me to track down the "Kaikanten" at the right in your photo. Eventually found one matching your photo that said it was in Andalsnes and then everything fell into place from there to match the rest of your photo to Andalsnes.

perhaps should have used this one  the boats are based on a Colin Archer design who despite his name was Norwegian of Scottish descent  he designed the  first Norwegian sailing lifeboats back about 1890 very successful seaworthy boats

Andalsnes 091.jpg

41 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

OK, I'll give it a wild guess, QE2, Southampton, November 11th 2008, final sailing.

You have got the idea. 

None of these is correct, but indeed a "last" is involved, no Cunard ship has called there ever since.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1