Silversea cancelation procedures

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo and I have decided to cancel our trip leaving Ft Lauderdale to Aukland NZ on Jan 7.  Is there a specific procedure we must follow to cancel and request a refund of our deposit?  WE booked directly with SS, so there is no TA involved.  Many thanks in advance.

I cancelled mine but moved my deposit to another cruise as I know I will get in in the future.  I sent an email and Laura followed it up by phone just to touch base

there is a $250 admin charge to cancel as per terms on the website 

fot other Australians SS are still trying to see if they can arrange some all Aussie/nZ passenger cruises inside the bubble if it ever exists 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

I cancelled mine but moved my deposit to another cruise as I know I will get in in the future.  I sent an email and Laura followed it up by phone just to touch base

there is a $250 admin charge to cancel as per terms on the website 

fot other Australians SS are still trying to see if they can arrange some all Aussie/nZ passenger cruises inside the bubble if it ever exists 

TY

14 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

That's interesting.  I hope they can achieve something, but given that most state borders are closed I'm not convinced it is realistic.

Edited by zigtraveller

6 hours ago, MHF said:

Have you thought about waiting for a few months to see if SilverSea cancels on YOU?

Yes, but by then you have to have paid the full amount and that means you wait for the refund or take FCC.  Saving $800 by paying upfront just isn't worth it.  I knew when I booked using my OB deposit it was dodgy but i had a July deadline to lock in a date.

Moving $1500 is a no-brainer

11 hours ago, MHF said:

Have you thought about waiting for a few months to see if SilverSea cancels on YOU?

Yes, but like Mrs Waldo said, we would need to make the final payment.  For a cruise that has 0% chance of being what we planned on, and likely would be canceled anyway, I’m not willing to put another $30,000 at risk.

9 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Yes, but like Mrs Waldo said, we would need to make the final payment.  For a cruise that has 0% chance of being what we planned on, and likely would be canceled anyway, I’m not willing to put another $30,000 at risk.

Excellent point!

21 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

Yes, but by then you have to have paid the full amount and that means you wait for the refund or take FCC.  Saving $800 by paying upfront just isn't worth it.  I knew when I booked using my OB deposit it was dodgy but i had a July deadline to lock in a date.

Moving $1500 is a no-brainer

Extrapolating to the World Cruise 2021, is Silversea still expecting people to pay the balance, usually in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, on the due date in early September? To my mind there is virtually no way that the cruise will go ahead. Most other 2021 World Cruises, including direct competitors Seabourn and Regent, have already been canceled for good reasons. When it is eventually canceled, will Silversea hang on to payments for a few months before refunding them if the passenger does not want to take an enhanced future cruise credit? If the guest now takes the initiative and cancels, the penalty is substantial. It seems to me that the "moral" thing to do would  be for Silversea to cancel before the final  payment date in less than two weeks if they intend the cruise not go ahead. I know that morality and business some times are not regular bed fellows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

PS I should add that some others whose views i respect and who maybe know more than me, think the cruise will go ahead in a substantially revised form.  I hope that is the case for the many who are really looking forward to it.

That would be a problem in itself.  Mrs Banjo and I don’t  want to spend a big pile of money on a cruise that is not what is advertised.   For us, many of the ports that make this cruise a priority will likely still be closed, and our disembarking point, Auckland will still definitely be closed.  So, just planning a return home becomes a huge issue.  We cruise to enjoy the ride and see parts of the world, not to worry about where we end up and how do we get home.

Edited by crusinbanjo

5 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

That would be a problem in itself.  Mrs Banjo and I don’t  want to spend a big pile of money on a cruise that is not what is advertised.   For us, many of the ports that make this cruise a priority will likely still be closed, and our disembarking point, Auckland will still definitely be closed.  So, just planning a return home becomes a huge issue.  We cruise to enjoy the ride and see parts of the world, not to worry about where we end up and how do we get home.

I take your point. You don't want to be on a mystery journey not knowing where it will go and end. For many doing the full WC it is the experience that counts the most. The interim ports don't matter so much (within reason).  But it should be imperative for Silversea to make the position clear that it is going ahead before the vast sums representing the balance of the fare are handed over in the coming days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I take your point. You don't want to be on a mystery journey not knowing where it will go and end. For many doing the full WC it is the experience that counts the most. The interim ports don't matter so much (within reason).  But it should be imperative for Silversea to make the position clear that it is going ahead before the vast sums representing the balance of the fare are handed over in the coming days.

Mrs Banjo and I chose this cruise in particular because we wanted to land on Easter Island and when we disembark in Aukland we wanted to fly over to Sydney and visit with friends we have not seen in a couple of years.  Many of the other ports we have been to already.  I totally agree that SS make their position clear, either it is canceled or they are going ahead and also, what is the planned interim itinerary.

Re: WC 2021:  I am on b2b on the Whisper 11/10-29/2020.  As of now it is sailing.  I assume to prepare for the WC in January.  Waiting to see if it goes or if it's cancelled.  The good thing is that the 11/10 cruise is the first one so we'll be the first passengers on it.

3 hours ago, AtMaui said:

Re: WC 2021:  I am on b2b on the Whisper 11/10-29/2020.  As of now it is sailing.  I assume to prepare for the WC in January.  Waiting to see if it goes or if it's cancelled.  The good thing is that the 11/10 cruise is the first one so we'll be the first passengers on it.

We wish you luck, we should have departed Athens for the Whisper t/a on Friday. 😢

• Like 1