Viking Ocean As A Solo

Dancer Bob

Heidi13 has got me curious about Viking Ocean. I've found an intriguing Aegean itinerary in January 2022, and I'm also interested in Transatlantics. The brochures have the usual PR hype but are sadly lacking in pertinent information.

Balcony cabins don't interest me, especially in January. I don't use alcohol. I'm looking for entertainment that's a higher intellectual level than watching television, on a ship that doesn't go to bed at 8PM.

So what positives can I expect? I found Crystal to be over-priced and inconsistent, especially lacking in entertainment.

Whether I'll like the ship is more important than how cheap the single supplement is.

Viking Ocean seems to offer a high caliber of lecturers / port talkers, etc.  Retired diplomats, US and UK military,  university professors, etc.  I've found their presentations to be uniformly excellent.

Many were readily available in the Explorer lounge and elsewhere for extended discussions with travelers who were also highly informed.

• Like 1

I have just looked through the 2020 brochure to see if it tally's with my own experience on board and I find that it does, both visually and verbally  - if anything it undersells as it cannot recreate the great interactions with the crew and fellow passengers which are an important part of the attraction for us.

If you are entertained by education and comforted by culture then you will have a great time. 

The ship does not go to bed at 8PM💤 ..........it is around 10PM 😁  That is except for those of us chatting in The Explorers' Lounge or dancing in Torshavn till gone midnight. The reason most turn in early is that they will be up at 7AM or before, champing at the bit to get off the ship to experience life in a different country at the first opportunity, rather than laying in bed then heading to the pool. Of course that dynamic changes on the TAs you are considering where late nights are more the norm. 

The Viking 360 tours will give you a good idea if the environment on the ship appeals to you. This one is for The Star but ships are largely the same throughout https://www.vikingcruises.com/content/ocean-star-tour/start.html

You can then make the call on the price which, sadly, may well be high for you as Viking only occasionally makes solo traveller fares available. I think that their policy is derived from the ratio of demand/number of cabins to sell.

Hope that helps in general terms and if you need more precise "pertinent" information please do ask.

Have a look too at viking.tv - something different every day - I've watched one of the Guest Speaker Thursdays with the Duke of Devonshire and must remember to watch more of them.  In Conversation Tuesdays look interesting too -including some lectures on the history of different European countries by the Viking Resident Historian.  It has given me a better idea of what to expect when we finally get on board.

I’ll second PhotoPro2’s thoughts on the solo fares. My DMIL sailed the San Juan to Barcelona transatlantic with us in March 2019 and only paid 150% of the single fare. This promo however wasn’t offered until December prior in order to help finish filling the ship-along with “free” air and a one category upgrade.  I do not believe It was offered on the Miami to Barcelona transatlantic. So if you can wait until relatively last minute you can sometimes get a solo bargain. Of course you might also loose out completely if the sailing sells out. 

I would suggest asking about solo discounts on any sailing of course.  Also, as a new Viking customer, you should find someone who has sailed them before to refer you as this will save you a hundred bucks.  Additionally, I recommend finding a travel agent who will provide you with the maximum Onboard Credit Viking allows. For a 14 night cruise this is $300 pp (no credit for the additional paid as a solo guest sorry) or $500 for 15 nights or longer.  This obc covers the daily service charge and leaves some left over for a massage or hair appointment since you don’t drink alcohol. 

Hope you will give a Viking a try.  We are sure glad we did!

Edited by Clay Clayton

Thanks to all.

7AM is pretty early for me, I'm more of a brunch person.

Enhanced enrichment lectures should be worth several hundred dollars extra for in the Aegean.

Anybody have experience with waiting til a couple of weeks before sailing to book? I estimate I can book air, with plan B of putting together a land package on my own (probably do an add-on anyway).

Doesn't sound like Viking gets many solos, but I'm used to traveling solo, unless Viking actively discourages solos.

We have had the best luck with promos a couple of months before saildate.  It seems that if you wait until a couple of weeks, the promos are gone.  I know for my DMIL, she snagged her 150% solo promo fare in late December for a March cruise. 

Not sure if it’s because Viking doesn’t mind sailing with a cabin or two empty or what. But for a couple of our transatlantics, the ship wasn’t completely sold out and the prices the last week were the same as at initial offering and there didn’t appear to be any free air or obc promos. 

• Thanks 1