Non Refundable Deposit question

JillK

My mom was dealing with Celebrity to book a cruise using an FCC for a non-refundable deposit she had been issued for a cancelled cruise (she cancelled). As her and my father are in their 70's, she booked a refundable fare for her new booking in case they are not able to travel (spring 2022). The agent she was dealing with suggested that they would be better off booking the non-refundable fare as it was almost $500 cheaper. The agent told her that because the new booking would be covered by Celebrity's version of "Cruise With Confidence," should they need to cancel, only the deposit would be issued in FCC with the standard expiration (so in effect, extending their current expiration) and the rest of the cruise fare would be refunded to original payment method.

Does anyone know if the same would hold true for a booking with Royal? I am pricing to use up my FCC and can't help but notice there is a large discrepancy between the non-refundable and refundable fares but generally don't book non-refundable as we travel with our four kids and sometimes, things happen (global pandemics aside of course).

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, JillK said:

My mom was dealing with Celebrity to book a cruise using an FCC for a non-refundable deposit she had been issued for a cancelled cruise (she cancelled). As her and my father are in their 70's, she booked a refundable fare for her new booking in case they are not able to travel (spring 2022). The agent she was dealing with suggested that they would be better off booking the non-refundable fare as it was almost $500 cheaper. The agent told her that because the new booking would be covered by Celebrity's version of "Cruise With Confidence," should they need to cancel, only the deposit would be issued in FCC with the standard expiration (so in effect, extending their current expiration) and the rest of the cruise fare would be refunded to original payment method.

Does anyone know if the same would hold true for a booking with Royal? I am pricing to use up my FCC and can't help but notice there is a large discrepancy between the non-refundable and refundable fares but generally don't book non-refundable as we travel with our four kids and sometimes, things happen (global pandemics aside of course).

Thanks! 

If you are after final payment and are talking about more than the deposit then that would also come back as a FCC.

Before final payment you get back your deposit as FCC And any extra cash you paid is refunded.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

If you are after final payment and are talking about more than the deposit then that would also come back as a FCC.

Before final payment you get back your deposit as FCC And any extra cash you paid is refunded.

I'd like to book my family on Odyssey for summer 2021 to get rid of their FCC's which are only enough to go toward the deposit, but none of them are keen to travel that far in 2021 so summer 2022 is more realistic.  I'd rather hold off for a while before deciding what to do but I know CWC expires tomorrow.  Do you think adding the refundability fee to a booking ends up providing the same protection of an FCC value as CWC?  I don't think I'd have to pay the extra for refundability as long as a potential cancellation took place before final payment.  Thanks for all your help!

Edited by MindyJohn

1 minute ago, MindyJohn said:

I'd like to book my family on Odyssey for summer 2021 to get rid of their FCC's which are only enough to go toward the deposit, but none of them are keen to travel that far in 2021 so summer 2022 is more realistic.  I'd rather hold off for a while before deciding what to do but I know CWC expires tomorrow.  Do you think adding the refundability fee to a booking ends up providing the same protection of an FCC value as CWC?  I don't think I'd have to pay the extra for refundability as long as a potential cancellation took place before final payment.  Thanks for all your help!

Unless booking a suite I always recommend booking refundable. 

1 minute ago, MindyJohn said:

So refundable fee gives me the right to get a reissue of FCC that's been applied toward a deposit, is that correct?

If you book by tomorrow then either the refundable or non refundable rates allow you to cancel and get the FCC reissued with an expiry date of 12 months from the date you cancel. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you book by tomorrow then either the refundable or non refundable rates allow you to cancel and get the FCC reissued with an expiry date of 12 months from the date you cancel. 

Yes, but I prefer to wait and book later as long as adding the refundability fee to my booking will give me the right to get a reissue of FCC used toward the deposit if I cancel prior to final payment. 

Sorry to belabor, but their are so many scenarios with FCC usage and I know you have to stay on top of it. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, MindyJohn said:

Yes, but I prefer to wait and book later as long as adding the refundability fee to my booking will give me the right to get a reissue of FCC used toward the deposit if I cancel prior to final payment. 

Sorry to belabor, but their are so many scenarios with FCC usage and I know you have to stay on top of it. Thank you.

It does not matter if it is a refundable or non refundable deposit.  The FCC will be reissued with either in the exact same way.

thank 

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It does not matter if it is a refundable or non refundable deposit.  The FCC will be reissued with either in the exact same way.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

• Like 1