have you gotten seasick on America's Cup Sailing???

laceyjane

Hi,

We will be in St. Maarten from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. I am already booked for a tour with Joyce Prince. After reading about America's cup I was thinking maybe I could do both tours-I would skip the shopping with the Joyce Prince tour.

My question: I wear the "patch behind the ear" on the cruise for motion sickness and I have never gotten sea sick. After looking at several of your posted pictures, I am wondering if anyone has every suffered any kind of sea sickness on the America's Cup?

On our America's Cup adventure our "appointed captain" got sick. There was not much wind that day so I think the boat bobbed more than normal. Since you will be wearing the patch, you probably would be OK. A couple weeks ago we could see the competition from the Radiance. It is a great adventure--I'd like to do it again, but don't want to spoil a perfect record...we won on the Stars & Stripes at the very last second against the two Canadian boats!

No one got even queasy on our race. We had some wind, but not a lot. It is such a great excursion! We were also on the Stars & Stripes and beat the True North! I even was allowed to be at the wheel when we came back into the harbor after the race was over. What a thrill of a lifetime!

• 2 weeks later...

Laceyjane.. we NEVER met you last February!!! OF course I had pneumonia (literally) and was not out and about.. Never got sick on this tour but I always take Bonine during the cruise bec. I have inner ear problems... it is a different "feel" than the ship... Have a wonderful cruise.. Nordic Empress was my fav RCI ship way back when.. not sure how she is as Empress of the Seas.. the cabins are small but the ship lovely!

I got fairly queasy when I did this a couple of weeks ago, but I do not use any anti-seasickness medication and I really think it was because I worked too hard. I was a "primary grinder" and we really put everything we had into the race. I turned my spot over to one of the backups when I could barely turn the crank anymore :D . This was about 2/3 of the way through the race. About 5 minutes later I started feeling kind of green. I sipped a little water and was pretty much fine by the time we got back to the dock.

I'd do the excursion again in a heartbeat!

Jeff

I would definitely not take a 6 year old on the boat. As the FAQs say, even someone younger than 12 might not be appropriate. Keep in mind that these are not your typical excursion boats. They were built to race, not for comfort. It is fairly crowded, busy, and there are places on the boat that you wouldn't want to get parts of your body near while the race is going on.

It is also great fun!

Jeff

Archived