Tampa hotels/motels for precruise - recommendations needed PLEASE

LadyBerard

I normally research most everything myself, but for the life of me, I cannot make a decision on where to stay before our cruise in Tampa.  We will be traveling with 8 or 9 other couples and need a hotel/motel for one or two prenights in Nov. 2021.  I've been reading lots of reviews on tripadvisor.  I need a place that's nice, walking distance to restaurants, safe neighborhood, nice pool area.  I usually like to stay in 4* properties, but I don't know if everyone will be willing to shell out more than $150/$200/$250 for a night.  I've been looking at Tampa Marriott Water Street, the Westin Tampa Waterside, Quality Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn & Suites, even the Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa, as it looks like it has a fun pool/bar area, and our friends like to have a few.  :).

I would be interested in getting feedback on properties you have stayed in, if it was a nice area, if the rooms were clean, what was around the area, and most of all, if you would stay at that property again.  Thank you.

Check out hotels in the Rocky Point area - many offer both airport and port shuttles (at least they did before the virus shut things down), nice area, several dining options within walking distance, and some offer parking deals if any in your group will be driving in.  Check out Chase Suites, Doubletree, Holiday Inn Express and others.

I live in Tampa. The hotels you listed are great choices. There are a bunch of hotels within a mile of the pier which can be an easy walk to the pier. The Channelside and downtown Tampa areas have plenty of restaurants. If you are staying for a night or 2 I suggest rideshare over renting a car. The Tampa Marriott Water Street and Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel are probably Tampas most popular hotels. The Riverwalk is pretty cool to walk at night if the weather is nice. A side note, The Channelside district has construction on every corner with a lot of buildings under construction so traffic is a mess there during busy times.

12 hours ago, steve20832 said:

I live in Tampa. The hotels you listed are great choices. There are a bunch of hotels within a mile of the pier which can be an easy walk to the pier. The Channelside and downtown Tampa areas have plenty of restaurants. If you are staying for a night or 2 I suggest rideshare over renting a car. The Tampa Marriott Water Street and Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel are probably Tampas most popular hotels. The Riverwalk is pretty cool to walk at night if the weather is nice. A side note, The Channelside district has construction on every corner with a lot of buildings under construction so traffic is a mess there during busy times.

What about Holiday Inn Express Tampa East, Ybor city? We booked because it has a park and cruise special with a shuttle to the port.  

Thanks for any advice!

Baf

14 hours ago, bafinegan said:

What about Holiday Inn Express Tampa East, Ybor city? We booked because it has a park and cruise special with a shuttle to the port.  

Thanks for any advice!

Baf

Not familiar with that specific hotel, but Ybor City can be fun on a weekend night (and scary after about midnight).  The Columbia restaurant there is overrated IMHO, but still good and something you should try at least once.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Thanks for any advice!

Baf

Ybor City is a cool area to walk around during the daytime and has lots of restaurants and bars. At night time, it's flooded with 20s and 30s aged people getting drunk and rowdy

• Thanks 1