A few questions about the Jade for us first-timers

Ken the cruiser

I've been on Jade more often than any other NCL ship.  She is still my favorite even though I had major cabin problems on my last cruise (January 2020).   It was a deck 9 balcony.

I'm not a fan of the MDR on any NCL ship.  I find the food generally mediocre and often cold by the time it gets to the table.  Also, the service can be painfully slow.  Indeed on my over 20 day cruise in January I didn't go to the MDR one single time.  I stick to the buffet or the specialty restaurants for all my meals.   Granted, who knows what will be happening with the buffets on any of the ships once cruising starts again.   

As far as the specialty restaurants go, my favorite is Le Bistro.  As someone previously mentioned, Le Bistro serves the best steak on the ship hands down.  Also, the mushroom soup is outstanding.   The sushi bar is also excellent.  In my experience Cagney's and Moderna can be very good one night and so-so the next night.  I personally am not fond of La Cucina on any of the ships.  In my experience, the food and dining experience at La Cucina is always below average.  This is a shame cause I love Italian food.

As far as the internet goes, I find the internet speed to be slowish but acceptable.  On sea days when everyone is on the ship, it can get quite slow.  I always go for the unlimited package as I like to have access at all times.  It is worth it to me.

I've never had a cabin on deck 11 so I cannot comment on the aft cabin noise from personal experience.    However, I will echo other's comments that the Great Outdoors is generally pretty quiet in the evening.  I've been at the outdoor bar there in the evening and I've never seen a large crowd.  

Enjoy your cruise on Jade!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

May I ask what the major cabin problems were? And, what part of Michigan?

Bathroom flooding every single night in the overnight hours.  Nothing to do with the toilet.  The drain would push out soapy water and flood the bathroom every night.  Maintenance staff would come and "fix" the problem each day and then the problem would repeat itself during the night.  Finally, I demanded a cabin change.  NCL handling of the problem was very poor.  It was all really disappointing.

I live in the eastern part of Michigan right on the Saint Clair river.  From the living room, we can see Ontario about  3/4 of a mile across the river.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

Bathroom flooding every single night in the overnight hours.  Nothing to do with the toilet.  The drain would push out soapy water and flood the bathroom every night.  Maintenance staff would come and "fix" the problem each day and then the problem would repeat itself during the night.  Finally, I demanded a cabin change.  NCL handling of the problem was very poor.  It was all really disappointing.

I live in the eastern part of Michigan right on the Saint Clair river.  From the living room, we can see Ontario about  3/4 of a mile across the river.

Thanks. Yeah, that is disappointing if NCL didn't handle the problem adequately. By chance, anywhere near Port Huron? My dad's best friend is a retired (by now, I think) maritime pilot who has a house right on the St. Clair river. As a kid, I used to love visiting his house and watching all the ships (both lakers & salties) go by through a big picture window in his house.

15 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks. Yeah, that is disappointing if NCL didn't handle the problem adequately. By chance, anywhere near Port Huron? My dad's best friend is a retired (by now, I think) maritime pilot who has a house right on the St. Clair river. As a kid, I used to love visiting his house and watching all the ships (both lakers & salties) go by through a big picture window in his house.

We are about half an hour south of Port Huron.  The ship traffic is fun to watch and continues right through the winter unless the river freezes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

We are about half an hour south of Port Huron.  The ship traffic is fun to watch and continues right through the winter unless the river freezes.

Agree. Sometimes, a person working on one of the passing ships who knew my dad's friend and the house he lived in, would blow a salute on the ship's whistle as the ship passed by his house.

Apologize to other posters if I've inadvertently hijacked this thread.