I would be interested in the opinion of an insurance broker

klfrodo

As a US citizen making plans for Europe, I came across this

https://cdn.civitatis.com/general/TravelAssistanceInsurance.pdf?_ga=2.2590512.108693467.1601086844-1430155580.1601086844

and would be interested in an expert opinion

I came across this from this link

https://www.civitatis.com/en/travel-insurance/?_ga=2.249913606.108693467.1601086844-1430155580.1601086844#description

One of the reasons I ask, is because with my Travel Insurance medical plan, I have to whip out my credit card to pay for medical services and then hope to be reimbursed.

This policy may be exactly the same, but I can't find a direct answer that I can understand.

Anyway, thought I would share.

BTW: I already have a policy purchased from TripInsuranceStore

Edited by klfrodo

I do not hold myself out to be an "expert" and will leave that label to Steve Dasseos who certainly fits that bill.  But I do have a lifetime of experience in the Medical Insurance (government) world.  My thought on the Civitatis policy is that as an American (and we assume resident of WA) you would be giving up a lot of rights.  The policy is issued by a European company and subject to the laws and regulations of Spain.  As an American buying an insurance product licensed in your own State you have some protection via that licensing process and also have the ability to complain to your own State's Insurance Commissioner.  When purchasing a European product not specifically licensed in your State you are on your own if there is a problem with a claim.  Although the EU has lots of consumer protections, trying to deal with European agencies (and companies) from afar is a minefield.

By the way, I did notice potential problem with that policy's medical evacuation coverage.  It seems to be limited to medical flights within Europe!  I only did a cursory look-see so might have missed something but  you would want to make sure any medical evacuation coverage would get you back home....if deemed medically necessary.  Unless you had such coverage through some other means (such as Medjet Assist) this could be a major red flag.

Hank

On 9/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, klfrodo said:

As a US citizen making plans for Europe, I came across this

https://cdn.civitatis.com/general/TravelAssistanceInsurance.pdf?_ga=2.2590512.108693467.1601086844-1430155580.1601086844

and would be interested in an expert opinion

I came across this from this link

https://www.civitatis.com/en/travel-insurance/?_ga=2.249913606.108693467.1601086844-1430155580.1601086844#description

One of the reasons I ask, is because with my Travel Insurance medical plan, I have to whip out my credit card to pay for medical services and then hope to be reimbursed.

This policy may be exactly the same, but I can't find a direct answer that I can understand.

Anyway, thought I would share.

BTW: I already have a policy purchased from TripInsuranceStore

Hi klfrodo,

It looks like this plan is only available if you book an IATI Holidays Plus trip.

As for the coverages, I cannot tell if it will coordinate with a US health insurance company so a claim might be difficult to process.

Steve