Corfu to Albania?

cruiser123!

I'm going with the plan we WILL BE cruising next summer.   So here's my question:   we have a port day from 7am - 3pm in Corfu.   I am debating taking the ferry/speedboat over to Albania to explore a new country for a few hours.   We have a tour guide on that side, but I have no idea how the transport works with immigration.   

Has anyone done this?  Would you recommend it?   All input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Catching the ferry from Corfu to Albania and back is fairly easy. You will need your passport. You can research timing and buy your tickets in advance (if desired) to save time.

If I remember correctly, be aware that there is an hour time difference between Corfu and Albania, which you need to take into account in planning your time. Your departure time of 3pm is on the early side -- can you get back with enough time to spare?  The fast ferry takes around 30 minutes but there are limited runs....

What are you planning to see in Albania?  Sarande itself is not really worth it. The Roman site at Butrint is lovely but it's a long-ish drive (45 minutes to an hour from the ferry) and you need several hours at the site.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cruiser123- I am also researching doing this. We will be on the HAL Westerdam and in port July 6, 2021 (God and the vaccine willing, of course) and am coming up dry with research on the ferries because they are not running right now, so no info on precise times. We want to go to Butrint. If I find something concrete about ferry times, I will post here. If you are able to find them, would you post here as well? Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, neska1212 said:

Hi Cruiser123- I am also researching doing this. We will be on the HAL Westerdam and in port July 6, 2021 (God and the vaccine willing, of course) and am coming up dry with research on the ferries because they are not running right now, so no info on precise times. We want to go to Butrint. If I find something concrete about ferry times, I will post here. If you are able to find them, would you post here as well? Thanks in advance.

We made reservations in advance with the Ionian Seaways ferry service between Corfu and Sarande. Their website gives the timetable for 2020; assuming things are back to normal by the time you travel, they should be close to the same.  https://ionianseaways.com/timetable/

We also emailed them asking for information including how long it takes to get from where the cruise ships dock to the ferry dock, etc.  They were very helpful to the point of arranging someone in their office to meet us coming off our ship with our tickets and guide us to the ferry -- this may have been because the timing was tight, but it was much appreciated. The email I have for them is info@ionianseaways.com

Given the season, if you do email I would not necessarily expect an immediate reply as their offices are probably closed up tight at the moment.

5 hours ago, neska1212 said:

Thanks! We are slated to dock at 8. Are we able to make the 8:40 if we buy the tickets ahead of time?

Wow, that is pretty tight. I just looked at my notes and we had an hour -- the ferry departed at 9:00 am in 2018. I'm not sure that 40 minutes would be enough time unless everything went absolutely perfectly...

• 2 years later...