Deck Plans

LandC

I've just received a booklet from Fred "introducing Bolette and Borealis" which has deck plans  for both ships which shows that there are differences, especially in cabin types.  One differance I noted was that Borealis has one swimming pool on deck 8 whilst Boette has a second one aft. 

Bolette is the new Fred Olsen flagship.

2 hours ago, berkshireboy said:

I've just received a booklet from Fred "introducing Bolette and Borealis" which has deck plans  for both ships which shows that there are differences, especially in cabin types.  One differance I noted was that Borealis has one swimming pool on deck 8 whilst Boette has a second one aft. 

Bolette is the new Fred Olsen flagship.

Yes, a change made by HAL I believe...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, berkshireboy said:

One differance I noted was that Borealis has one swimming pool on deck 8 whilst Boette has a second one aft. 

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yes, a change made by HAL I believe...

Correct.  When HAL butchered the stern of the Rotterdam, the swimming pool was removed and replaced with a shallow pool.  This was done so that additional staterooms could be built under the pool and under the aft part of that deck.  Some of us never "forgave"  HAL for this stupid decision.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

I also understand Bolette has azipods, but Borealis does not.  I am not greatly knowledgeable about matters nautical, but I think that means Bolette will be easier to manoeuvre in difficult situations and possibly also have less vibration etc. at the very back as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, tring said:

I also understand Bolette has azipods, but Borealis does not.  I am not greatly knowledgeable about matters nautical, but I think that means Bolette will be easier to manoeuvre in difficult situations and possibly also have less vibration etc. at the very back as well.

You are correct as to propulsion differences.  Bolette has no need for stern thrusters because the azipods can be maneuvered in such a way to replace the thrusters.  And, probably makes the Captain's job easier in docking in tight situations.  I remember watching Captain van Zaane docking the Bolette (aka Amsterdam) in a very tight space between the rear of a freighter and a sea wall.  There was not much room between our bow and the other ship and our stern and the sea wall!  

In one Norwegian port when I was on the Borealis (aka Rotterdam), with the wind blowing against the sea side of the ship and holding the ship towards the dock, our Captain had to wait until the wind subsided for us to come off the dock and sail.  The stern thrusters were not able to counteract the force of the wind; azipods might have been able to to do.  

I recall no difference in aft vibration on either ship.  The first HAL ship that had azipods was the Zuiderdam.  When she went into service, there were times when the aft vibration was really bad.  (Seated at a MDR table next to the aft windows, the vibration was significant enough that I watched as my cup and saucer "danced" their way to the edge of my table before I stopped them from falling off.)  The engineers found a way to prevent this kind of vibration.  Having since sailed on the Zuiderdam as well as the other azipod equipped ships, their "fix" has worked.  

BUT!  One must remember that the sea state will also have an impact on whatever vibrations/noises/etc. one experiences.  And, the engineering/design of the ship has little to do with what we guests feel/hear.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

You are correct as to propulsion differences.  Bolette has no need for stern thrusters because the azipods can be maneuvered in such a way to replace the thrusters.  And, probably makes the Captain's job easier in docking in tight situations.  I remember watching Captain van Zaane docking the Bolette (aka Amsterdam) in a very tight space between the rear of a freighter and a sea wall.  There was not much room between our bow and the other ship and our stern and the sea wall!  

In one Norwegian port when I was on the Borealis (aka Rotterdam), with the wind blowing against the sea side of the ship and holding the ship towards the dock, our Captain had to wait until the wind subsided for us to come off the dock and sail.  The stern thrusters were not able to counteract the force of the wind; azipods might have been able to to do.  

I recall no difference in aft vibration on either ship.  The first HAL ship that had azipods was the Zuiderdam.  When she went into service, there were times when the aft vibration was really bad.  (Seated at a MDR table next to the aft windows, the vibration was significant enough that I watched as my cup and saucer "danced" their way to the edge of my table before I stopped them from falling off.)  The engineers found a way to prevent this kind of vibration.  Having since sailed on the Zuiderdam as well as the other azipod equipped ships, their "fix" has worked.  

BUT!  One must remember that the sea state will also have an impact on whatever vibrations/noises/etc. one experiences.  And, the engineering/design of the ship has little to do with what we guests feel/hear.  

Thank you A lot for that very full explanation of your experiences,

Barbara

Edited by tring

56 minutes ago, tring said:

Thank you A lot for that very full explanation of your experiences,

Barbara

You are welcome.  Fred. Olsen's guests are going to experience two excellent vessels just as they did when the former Royal Viking LIne ships were a part of the fleet.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is there much/any difference with Borealis's deck plan?  

No, all the main public rooms seem to be in the same places. Haven't studied the cabin plans but suspect the main difference is the number and location of the 'Terrace Cabins', formerly Lanai Cabins under HAL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

No, all the main public rooms seem to be in the same places. Haven't studied the cabin plans but suspect the main difference is the number and location of the 'Terrace Cabins', formerly Lanai Cabins under HAL.

Thank you for your response.