19 night Med Query

janny444

Hi....the longest cruise that I have done is for 14 nights. I have seen a couple of 19 night cruises for 2022 and one of them has considerably more sea days with 2/3 days at sea days together a few times. My query is ....with so many sea days are there usually more activities provided on board while at sea ?

26 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....the longest cruise that I have done is for 14 nights. I have seen a couple of 19 night cruises for 2022 and one of them has considerably more sea days with 2/3 days at sea days together a few times. My query is ....with so many sea days are there usually more activities provided on board while at sea ?

The art/craft classes are held on sea days if you’re interested. To be honest, I just like relaxing on the sea days as quite often you have 2-3 intensive port days on the trot and then need a break. 

44 minutes ago, janny444 said:

We usually do an 18 or 19 night cruise each year around October time - we should have been on Aurora now! We also enjoy relaxing on the sea days as Ardennais has said and spend time sitting in the sun and reading. However there is also plenty going on if you prefer the activities such as quizzes, dance classes, bridge etc. as well as lectures and films being shown. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

We usually do an 18 or 19 night cruise each year around October time - we should have been on Aurora now! We also enjoy relaxing on the sea days as Ardennais has said and spend time sitting in the sun and reading. However there is also plenty going on if you prefer the activities such as quizzes, dance classes, bridge etc. as well as lectures and films being shown. 

Hi....one of the cruises is for October 2022....that has  more sea days than our other choice.

12 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....one of the cruises is for October 2022....that has  more sea days than our other choice.

Arcadia’s Med cruise for October 2022 has more sea days because she is going as far as Rhodes and Crete and therefore needs the sea days to cover the distance. Aurora has a more westerly itinerary so will not be so far from home. 

9 hours ago, SeaJane said:

I would have been with you on Aurora!  I also often cruise P&O in October but looking at the itineraries for 2022, I will have to look at another time of year as both Aurora & Arcadia have - for me - very dull itineraries next October.  The one that would have been happening now had four ports that I have not visited.

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I would have been with you on Aurora!  I also often cruise P&O in October but looking at the itineraries for 2022, I will have to look at another time of year as both Aurora & Arcadia have - for me - very dull itineraries next October.  The one that would have been happening now had four ports that I have not visited.

We are booked on Arcadia for October 2021 although all the ports are ones we have been to at least once before. Like you there would have been some ports new to us on this year’s Aurora cruise. We usually book at launch, but we are not sure whether we will book when 2022 goes on sale or wait and see how things pan out.

3 hours ago, SeaJane said:

We are booked on Arcadia for October 2021 although all the ports are ones we have been to at least once before. Like you there would have been some ports new to us on this year’s Aurora cruise. We usually book at launch, but we are not sure whether we will book when 2022 goes on sale or wait and see how things pan out.

I hadn't booked autumn next year as I was due to do a 39 night World Cruise sector on Arcadia. By the time this was cancelled, next year's prices had gone berserk. I have two FCC's so would ideally like to use them for 2022.

We tried a 19 night cruise on Ventura some years ago and really did not enjoy all of the sea days. Fair enough the weather was not good (despite it being August) and I didn't like the cabin we had chosen, but we said that we wouldn't do 19 nights again. 

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

We tried a 19 night cruise on Ventura some years ago and really did not enjoy all of the sea days. Fair enough the weather was not good (despite it being August) and I didn't like the cabin we had chosen, but we said that we wouldn't do 19 nights again. 

Hi....was that because there were too many sea days together or was it the length of cruise?  One of our choices is 19 nights but with more  ports of call and mostly the sea days are only one at a time.

Just now, janny444 said:

Hi....was that because there were too many sea days together or was it the length of cruise?  One of our choices is 19 nights but with more  ports of call and mostly the sea days are only one at a time.

I think it was the number of sea days in total. Looking back the main destination was Eastern Med so we had 5 lovely days in that area. I think we visited Athens,  Katakolon, Sicily, Mykonos and Crete as the main area and on the way there we stopped at Mallorca and on the way home Gibraltar. We may have stopped at Lisbon too but I can't remember. Says it all when we can't remember much about it.

I think the number of sea days, the cabin we have chosen and the grim weather spoiled it. Didn't warm to the ship at all either.

More sea days and only a day or so inbetween seems better.

Years ago we did a 18 night cruise and there was just one half day in port in the first 8 days so we were very glad to go ashore at the end of that initial stint. However, we soon got into a routine on sea days with a mix of quizzes, lectures, films and plenty of reading. It helped that it was warm enough to sit out at the stern on Oriana's tiered decks, and it also helped that the quizzes were often in the Lords Tavern which was one of the few pubs that I liked on any cruise ship.

We followed that up with another 18 nighter over Christmas and New Year on the same ship when we were surprised to be able to sit outside on sea days with decent weather in the Mediterranean. Without that I suppose we may have got more restless if we'd been confined indoors due to bad weather.

In summary for us I guess it depends on the itinerary (number of consecutive sea days) and whether the ship suits your tastes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Years ago we did a 18 night cruise and there was just one half day in port in the first 8 days so we were very glad to go ashore at the end of that initial stint. However, we soon got into a routine on sea days with a mix of quizzes, lectures, films and plenty of reading. It helped that it was warm enough to sit out at the stern on Oriana's tiered decks, and it also helped that the quizzes were often in the Lords Tavern which was one of the few pubs that I liked on any cruise ship.

We followed that up with another 18 nighter over Christmas and New Year on the same ship when we were surprised to be able to sit outside on sea days with decent weather in the Mediterranean. Without that I suppose we may have got more restless if we'd been confined indoors due to bad weather.

In summary for us I guess it depends on the itinerary (number of consecutive sea days) and whether the ship suits your tastes.

Hi....a half day in port in the first 8 days wouldn't be something I could do. One of the cruises that we are considering is on the Aurora 5th May 2022 ....mainly because of the itinerary....it is my hubby's " special " birthday and Sicily is one place he would like to see ...and secondly not many consecutive sea days. We have been to quite a few of the POCs and quite a few that we haven't so all round it ticks a lot of our boxes....just need to know what the price will be and that may not tick our box

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking - what is the itinerary?

1 Southampton

2 At Sea

3 La Coruna

4 Vigo

5 At Sea

6 Ceuta

7-8 At Sea

9 Valletta

10 Messina, Sicily

11 Salerno

12 Rome (Civitavecchia)

13 Ajaccio, Corsica

14 At Sea

15 Alicante

16 At Sea

17 Lisbon

18-19 At Sea

20 Southampton

13 hours ago, janny444 said:

1 Southampton

2 At Sea

3 La Coruna

4 Vigo

5 At Sea

6 Ceuta

7-8 At Sea

9 Valletta

10 Messina, Sicily

11 Salerno

12 Rome (Civitavecchia)

13 Ajaccio, Corsica

14 At Sea

15 Alicante

16 At Sea

17 Lisbon

18-19 At Sea

20 Southampton

For our tastes this cruise would suit us perfectly, especially on Aurora which used to be one of our favourite ships before it became adult only. The sea days are really well interspersed with the port days and there is a good mix of ports that we love and some that would be new to us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DamianG said:

For our tastes this cruise would suit us perfectly, especially on Aurora which used to be one of our favourite ships before it became adult only. The sea days are really well interspersed with the port days and there is a good mix of ports that we love and some that would be new to us.

Hi....initially we were considering October 2022 hence my original question....since then I have spotted this cruise which does seem to tick most of our boxes so now it is a bit of a waiting game to see what the prices are like....may have to be sitting down when I receive my quote from TA !😵

On 10/28/2020 at 12:02 PM, SeaJane said:

We might be on the same cruise Jane. October 9th 2021.

Avril

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We might be on the same cruise Jane. October 9th 2021.

Avril

That’s the one! I must admit that at the moment we are not sure whether we shall be going, but of course are hopeful. We booked onboard in October 2019 so only paid £50 deposit each so we’ll see how things pan out when cruising restarts. 

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

That’s the one! I must admit that at the moment we are not sure whether we shall be going, but of course are hopeful. We booked onboard in October 2019 so only paid £50 deposit each so we’ll see how things pan out when cruising restarts. 

We booked in October 2019 too, but online with P&O as we normally do. The current cruise price now is astonishing.

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We booked in October 2019 too, but online with P&O as we normally do. The current cruise price now is astonishing.

Avril

We were only able to book onboard as they delayed launch due to having to reschedule Oceana’s gulf programme which meant we were on Arcadia when the new brochure was released -  we have otherwise normally booked direct online. I agree the current prices are crazy.