Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

Thank you for the picture !!! if only the waist was so slim....at airport off to Majestic.

My brother in Winchester is still nervous about me booking a flight to UK ...

I will think of you at Scone O Clock.

Have a fantastic time on the Majestic!  We loved our cruise a month ago and can't wait to be onboard again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

Thank you for the picture !!! if only the waist was so slim....at airport off to Majestic.

My brother in Winchester is still nervous about me booking a flight to UK ...

I will think of you at Scone O Clock.

Hope you have arrived safely after your flight. Wishing you Bon Voyage!

I wonder what Afternoon Tea will be like on Majestic. On Regal it was quite different, with a menu and you had to choose what you wanted, and it was then brought to you on a plate. No white gloved stewards with silver teapots and trays of delicious goodies to choose from I’m afraid.

We did go once but in the end decided we’d prefer to have afternoon tea in our cabin, which was lovely. 

Our Final Dinner

It is sad to think that this cruise is nearly over, but we have one more dinner to enjoy.

68FF4E19-0D16-4BA5-96C3-0F9619DC12A8.thumb.jpeg.5bca1d55ba724d3c985077df9f27b7b5.jpeg

2C163847-8E74-45F7-B834-C5B0C2569884.thumb.jpeg.7d768b0e9983aa087f3d7b34ae78d366.jpeg

46DE79CF-8704-43C3-A82D-BCE20F20DD2E.thumb.jpeg.6f7a01c12e4bd22218106b6821b3112a.jpeg

3AA40897-2E64-4820-B3F7-84B42C15C22D.thumb.jpeg.3f924471b65d7c6561edfb24489d857c.jpeg

No starters for us, as usual, so we order our entrees. DH orders the salmon as usual, this time with a pineapple salsa - I really will have to check to see he isn’t growing gills. I decide on the turkey but with carrots and fries for a change from my usual baked potato. 

909E725D-9B26-4BA7-8CB1-8EB5F451C6AD.thumb.jpeg.80bec80523babe89e7546e4a6370bd32.jpeg

DA1A3D17-FCB8-4241-9BA9-1B374C1B8BB8.thumb.jpeg.99cf711c73da7a0f67e35bb0a11bee9d.jpeg 

9FD2D154-FD67-48C5-830D-AD199DD278DC.thumb.jpeg.e6c6fb8b13b18c1e3512819a58a4a54e.jpeg

14B085FF-8A60-427B-9F3B-84BD7EAA9EE1.thumb.jpeg.a7d458767eb7f9e30c7bd7993a3dd0bb.jpeg

Our final dessert and it’s a bit of a disappointment. No soufflé or Chocolate Journey dessert. 

DH orders the always available cheesecake while I order the chocolate tapioca. It’s a bit like solid frogspawn and really not very appetising. But on the whole, the food in the dining room has been very good with a large choice of dishes. 

7F48E87A-DDBD-449A-AD3A-B6AE6673F05C.thumb.jpeg.42d1af3cb95f088f1b7fa6df237ed8fc.jpeg

3DBB6FED-986E-403C-8FCA-54BE33035827.thumb.jpeg.817b289bc3fc6ee8c0f37dd7fef4cf6e.jpeg

• Like 1

Now the Carnival is over, 

This will be our last goodbye

For the Carnival is over, 

We may never meet again.

Judith Durham of the Australian group The Seekers

After dinner, and having thanked our servers for all their hard work, we make our way up to Club Fusion, to meet up with our trivia mates for the Farewell Trivia. We have really enjoyed their company over the past 2 weeks and it will be sad to say goodbye to them this evening.

So what happened with our Progressive Trivia you may ask? We have faithfully attended each quiz, and have waited patiently for the result, but our quizmaster decided he would post the result on the wall of the library late this afternoon. So of course we made our way to the library to find that he had only posted the name of the winner. We had expected to at least see a list of the teams in order of merit, so its very disappointing not to know how we scored.

Unexpectedly, our Farewell Trivia is hosted by no less than our Progressive Quizmaster. There are many questions from people about his handling of the results, and he tells us he is new to Princess and has come from another cruise line, namely the ‘Fun Ships.’

He says that he thought it better not to tell people the results as he had found that previously it had been a bit of a riot.

Did he really think that Princess passengers would engage in drunken fisticuffs if they didn’t win?

So we still don’t know what we scored or how well we did, and that is part of the fun of doing a progressive quiz.

At the end of the trivia we stay a while to bid farewell to our four companions, two from the US and two from Canada.

Then we make our way back to the cabin to finish our last minute packing. It is nearly midnight before we crawl exhaustedly into bed.

Tomorrow we have a long day ahead of us, with a transatlantic flight from LA to Munich, and then from there to London Heathrow.

But, as a last thought, we decide to go online and book an overnight hotel in Heathrow, which turns out to be the best decision we could have made, as our flight does not exactly go to plan.

So goodnight, sleep tight.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 11:55 PM, chipz said:

So good to read along on your journey.

You really know how to leave us today with a cliffhanger....

Sending positive thoughts for your son's quick recovery.

Thank you chips for your kind thoughts. He is very fatigued and has lost his sense of taste and smell. We are desperate to re-book our Greek cruise but we must wait until he improves and tests negative. We really aren’t sure what will happen. 

Our suitcases are all packed for the Greek cruise but we are off on Sky Princess soon, so I must repack and take out all the warm weather clothes and replace them with items more suited to the chilly and unsettled British climate. We have been very lucky with sea conditions (though not the weather!) on our two recent Seacations, but with Autumn fast approaching we may not be so fortunate next time. 

So it’s out with the bikinis and in with the woolly combinations. I wonder if ‘woolly combinations’ are recognised in the US? 👙 🤣

• Like 1

How did you spend your day?

So what activities and entertainments have been on offer today? Not a lot really.

This morning there have been several activities, including Speed Sudoku for Fun in the Wheelhouse Bar at 9.15 am, the Giant Jenga Challenge in the Piazza at 10.15 am, followed in the afternoon by the Pictionary Challenge in the Wheelhouse Bar at 1.15 pm, and a Darts Challenge at 2.15 pm, also in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Movies Under the Stars presents ‘Cirque du Soleil: Delirium’ at 10.00 am on Deck 16, followed by Concerts@Sea:Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett; Cheek to Cheek Live!’ At 12.15 pm. The afternoon movie is ‘Welcome to Marwen’ with the Evening Movie, ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ at 7.00 pm and 10.00 pm.

There is, of course, Trivia, at 11.15 am, 3.15 pm, and finally, our Farewell Trivia at 9.15 pm.

As you are aware, I have made desperate attempts onboard to get fitter and look years younger, but my efforts have been plagued with bad luck and prior engagements. So once again, I miss the ‘Go Home Looking 10 Years Younger’ which is most frustrating, and I am too busy to take part in the ‘Relieving Back Pain and Walking in Comfort Seminar’ at 4.00 pm as we are still enjoying Trivia. 

There is plenty of live music, as usual, with ‘On Deck Tunes’ with DJ11 at Neptune’s Reef and Pool at 4.00 pm, and he is later to be found at 7.15 in the Piazza for the ABBA Hour. He hosts the Farewell Dance Party in Skywalkers Nightclub at 10.30 - late.

A Sailaway Celebration will take place at 4.45 pm with The Main Offenders at Neptune’s Reef, and they are back at 8.30 pm for Music and Dancing in Explorers at 8.30 pm, and again at10.30 pm.

Richard Sulek plays Piano Melodies in the Piazza at 5.00 pm, and later, in the Adagio Bar at 6.15 pm. He can also be found in the Wheelhouse Bar for Piano and Cocktails at 9.15 - 10.00 pm.

Mary Simon is in Crooners at 6.00 - 7.00 pm, , and at 10.15 pm in the Wheelhouse Bar.

If you like dancing then you can take to the floor in Club Fusion at 6.15 - 7.15 pm for Pre-Recorded Ballroom Music.

Walker Black Duo play Music Favourites at 7.15 pm in the Wheelhouse Bar, and Tommy McPhee is in Crooners at 9.00 pm

Souvenir Duo play Classical Hits in the Adagio Bar at 7.30 pm, and Evening Melodies in the Piazza at 8.15 pm.

But if you prefer to be the centre of attention then you must not miss the Karaoke Power Hour at 7.15 pm in Club Fusion.

There are a surprising number of things to do this evening, starting with Showtime with Duncan Tuck at 6.30 pm and 8.30 pm in the Princess Theatre.

109191DA-2995-47DA-B19F-21E75D6C32F4.thumb.jpeg.955b3c54572c3f8e93edeb18b3d988a0.jpeg

At 7.30 pm there is the ‘Yes or No Game Show: The Rematch’ in Explorers, Line Dancing in Club Fusion at 8.15 pm, Stargazing with Discovery@Sea at 9.30 pm outside Skywalkers, and the ‘Hollywood You Gameshow’ in Explorers at 9.30 pm.

1374E39B-BE8C-4B51-B9F4-344A81CE9971.thumb.jpeg.611cff6f8229fc3356248eb4348c3e2f.jpeg

I wonder what you will choose tonight?

Thank you @ellie1145for all the wonderful diversions you give us from present times!

I hope that your son has a speedy recovery and hope his vaccine protects him from the worst!

We have had a land trip to Big Island, Hawaii, for this October in the works since the pandemic seemed to be waning, but it is always full of surprises.  We are in a wait and see mode but hope to go!  We had our vaccination and will take every precaution, and at present, it is the best any of us can do.  Thank you @cr8tiv1for help with my planning!

I am excited to read more reviews from you after this one!  Enjoyed it immensely! 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ROWSE said:

Thank you @ellie1145for all the wonderful diversions you give us from present times!

I hope that your son has a speedy recovery and hope his vaccine protects him from the worst!

We have had a land trip to Big Island, Hawaii, for this October in the works since the pandemic seemed to be waning, but it is always full of surprises.  We are in a wait and see mode but hope to go!  We had our vaccination and will take every precaution, and at present, it is the best any of us can do.  Thank you @cr8tiv1for help with my planning!

I am excited to read more reviews from you after this one!  Enjoyed it immensely! 

How long will you be on Hawaii Island (aka Big Island)?  Which side will you be staying?  Is there more I can do to help you plan your stay?

4 hours ago, ROWSE said:

We just made arrangements to go to Maui in late October.  We used to go at least twice a year prior to our cruising days and I sure miss it!  I've already filled out the information on the Hawaii Safe Travels site and we have no problem with any of the precautions.  Our just booked flight looks empty which actually makes us feel better as that is the only part where we will be in close contact with other humans.  The fact that Hawaii is only letting in vaccinated or recently tested folks certainly helps.  If you go, hope you enjoy the Big Island!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We just made arrangements to go to Maui in late October.  We used to go at least twice a year prior to our cruising days and I sure miss it!  I've already filled out the information on the Hawaii Safe Travels site and we have no problem with any of the precautions.  Our just booked flight looks empty which actually makes us feel better as that is the only part where we will be in close contact with other humans.  The fact that Hawaii is only letting in vaccinated or recently tested folks certainly helps.  If you go, hope you enjoy the Big Island!

Almost correct.  Yes:  Vaccinated or recently tested folks from a trusted partner.  But....they are still allowing unvaccinated/untested passengers on a plane to the airport AND requiring them to quarantine for 10 days.  We all know that these passengers are NOT going to pay to come to Hawaii and sit in a hotel room for 10 days.  

This is the same for Hawaii residents who fly to Las Vegas.  Many choose NOT to get tested because they don't want to be stranded in Las Vegas if testing positive.  So they get on a plane and that's how large clusters of cases (family) occur.  

Maui has just started the show proof of vaccination (or tested within 48 hours) to eat indoors.  

IF you are able to get a wrist band at your inbound flight...do so.  It will make arrival into the islands so much easier.  You will need your identification, CDC card, and printed Safe Travels QR code to show your ticket agent.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Almost correct.  Yes:  Vaccinated or recently tested folks from a trusted partner.  But....they are still allowing unvaccinated/untested passengers on a plane to the airport AND requiring them to quarantine for 10 days.  We all know that these passengers are NOT going to pay to come to Hawaii and sit in a hotel room for 10 days.  

This is the same for Hawaii residents who fly to Las Vegas.  Many choose NOT to get tested because they don't want to be stranded in Las Vegas if testing positive.  So they get on a plane and that's how large clusters of cases (family) occur.  

Maui has just started the show proof of vaccination (or tested within 48 hours) to eat indoors.  

IF you are able to get a wrist band at your inbound flight...do so.  It will make arrival into the islands so much easier.  You will need your identification, CDC card, and printed Safe Travels QR code to show your ticket agent.

Yes, I knew about the fact that being vaxxed or tested eliminates the need for quarantine and there could be some folks who could choose the quarantine route.  And the proof of vaccination requirement for Maui restaurants just went into effect today.  They also are at 50% capacity.  We have already checked and our favorite take out places are still in business so I imagine we will be enjoying many meals on our beautiful oceanfront Lanai.  I didn't know about the wristband, will definitely ask about it!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How long will you be on Hawaii Island (aka Big Island)?  Which side will you be staying?  Is there more I can do to help you plan your stay?

You and I exchanged emails in March, April, and May, and that was so helpful.  We are staying in Hilo one week and one week in Kona.  Fingers crossed all works out to go!!  Thank you for your well wishes @azbirdmom!!  Hope you have wonderful travels as well!

• Like 1

Thank you Ellie for sharing your cruise with so many of us!You have gotten me through rough times .Not being able to travel I looked forward to the  travels you shared.

Hope you son continues to improve and is back to normal soon.

Maybe we will meet someday on deck!

Smooth sailings,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen goodbye!

Our phone alarms shock us into wakefulness, and the realisation that we must get ready to leave Ruby Princess very soon. After a quick shower we make our way up to the buffet for a speedy breakfast. We are joining two of our companions and sharing a shuttle to the airport, and we must meet them on the dockside soon after 8.30, so we must put a shimmy on.

Unusually for me, I don’t really feel like eating, and only manage a croissant and a little melon. After  breakfast we return to our cabin to collect our luggage and make our way off the ship.

It’s a lovely day as we step out of the Terminal and meet our companions who are ready and waiting. Another couple is also joining us on the journey to the airport. We will actually have a very long time at the airport as our flight isn’t until late afternoon. It is going to be a very tiring day, and a very long one as we depart and arrive on the same day after a long transatlantic flight and a domestic flight.

The shuttle appears and we all get onboard. The journey is pleasant, and the roads are not too busy, and within an hour we are saying goodbye to our fellow travellers and making our way inside the huge terminal. All is well.

F44DF060-F1C5-482E-8531-94C515995069.thumb.jpeg.b2c8290bbc69fc860d13af49afa0b534.jpeg

We find the Lufthansa check in and are relieved that they will take our suitcases off our hands. We check in and then take a look round the terminal. We have hours left to kill but I suddenly begin to feel unwell. There is a cafe nearby and we make our way over there and DH gets us both a cup of tea. I feel worse and actually put my head on my arms on the table and fall fast asleep. I just feel out if it.

DH lets me rest, and after a while I begin to feel a little better, so we make our way through the airport towards our gate. It is a huge airport and we walk a long way towards where our huge bird will be waiting. We still have several hours to go and I hope I don’t feel poorly again. I wonder what could have been wrong with me….

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, ellie1145 said:

Our Final Dinner

It is sad to think that this cruise is nearly over, but we have one more dinner to enjoy.

68FF4E19-0D16-4BA5-96C3-0F9619DC12A8.thumb.jpeg.5bca1d55ba724d3c985077df9f27b7b5.jpeg

2C163847-8E74-45F7-B834-C5B0C2569884.thumb.jpeg.7d768b0e9983aa087f3d7b34ae78d366.jpeg

46DE79CF-8704-43C3-A82D-BCE20F20DD2E.thumb.jpeg.6f7a01c12e4bd22218106b6821b3112a.jpeg

3AA40897-2E64-4820-B3F7-84B42C15C22D.thumb.jpeg.3f924471b65d7c6561edfb24489d857c.jpeg

No starters for us, as usual, so we order our entrees. DH orders the salmon as usual, this time with a pineapple salsa - I really will have to check to see he isn’t growing gills. I decide on the turkey but with carrots and fries for a change from my usual baked potato. 

909E725D-9B26-4BA7-8CB1-8EB5F451C6AD.thumb.jpeg.80bec80523babe89e7546e4a6370bd32.jpeg

DA1A3D17-FCB8-4241-9BA9-1B374C1B8BB8.thumb.jpeg.99cf711c73da7a0f67e35bb0a11bee9d.jpeg 

9FD2D154-FD67-48C5-830D-AD199DD278DC.thumb.jpeg.e6c6fb8b13b18c1e3512819a58a4a54e.jpeg

14B085FF-8A60-427B-9F3B-84BD7EAA9EE1.thumb.jpeg.a7d458767eb7f9e30c7bd7993a3dd0bb.jpeg

Our final dessert and it’s a bit of a disappointment. No soufflé or Chocolate Journey dessert. 

DH orders the always available cheesecake while I order the chocolate tapioca. It’s a bit like solid frogspawn and really not very appetising. But on the whole, the food in the dining room has been very good with a large choice of dishes. 

7F48E87A-DDBD-449A-AD3A-B6AE6673F05C.thumb.jpeg.42d1af3cb95f088f1b7fa6df237ed8fc.jpeg

3DBB6FED-986E-403C-8FCA-54BE33035827.thumb.jpeg.817b289bc3fc6ee8c0f37dd7fef4cf6e.jpeg

We sat with this one couple who would grab the bread basket and forage! touching every one yuk we had to start asking for more bread for the rest of us! We all tried to engage them ! They spoke  would wisper to each other!

I watched the planes coming in
Felt my heartbeat begin..

The Byrds

76C48ABC-7E76-4BF6-8367-055A91BD80FE.thumb.png.1ba0c8bde120f502af7b3a6c72971e7a.png

LAX is a huge airport, with 146 gates and a total of 9 Terminals, arranged in a ‘U’ shape. Terminal B, the Tom Bradley International Terminal, is the largest. It opened in 1984, just weeks before the 1984 Summer Olympics. It was added on to the end of the terminals, adjacent to Terminals 3 an 4, and was named after the first African American, and longest serving Mayor of LA. He held this position for 20 years.

By the early 2000s there was concern about its ability to serve as a future international gateway, as not only was it ageing, but it was losing many of its international departures. Neither could it accommodate the future behemoths, such as the A380.

It had a bit of a facelift in 2006, and the southernmost runway was moved 55 ft to the south, in order to accommodate the wider Airbus 380. By 2007 the first of these giant aircraft had landed at LAX, and commercial flights started in 2008.

The Terminal was then modernised and expanded between 2008 and 2021, and it is this terminal which we are going to be using today.

23B9B844-77F3-43C9-96CB-826177A7664A.thumb.jpeg.3ab1876a4e353d09eb9eee34d046cad6.jpeg

EFF0BF8B-7E60-4CAB-81A9-A18E87D40774.thumb.jpeg.a7f63bd1631369b5c99f189a350983df.jpeg

302A269F-FC24-4588-A2C1-BD3B39DCBF9A.thumb.jpeg.d95ad73e4075ce890c59613eb1973931.jpeg

We make our way through the terminal past numerous shops, and despite spying my daughter’s favourite shop, Victoria’s Seccret, I don’t have the energy to stop and browse, which is unusual for me.

115D6605-3997-4E9A-8A36-A277B29E4EF9.thumb.jpeg.9136ab45d55b8fa24ba5e3982e8db926.jpeg

• Like 1

Even the prospect of an Apple shop doesn’t tempt me….

F2AD4EDC-BE20-4878-A527-A33575664E1D.thumb.jpeg.e5aa7a664787808a618ee551a9611078.jpeg

We eventually come to a large open food court and decide that we might as well spend the remaining hours here before our flight.

C3942C71-6AD8-4D6D-934F-556DFFB0B350.thumb.jpeg.4c113fe4128a1c38e76abc07bf95d275.jpeg

We find a table and it is with relief that I am able to sit down and rest. I manage to eat a little for lunch and rest as much as I can, as I still have this overwhelming feeling of fatigue. Now as you know, we are pretty active normally, so this is very out of character for me. I also adore visiting airports and in normal circumstances would have been out and about snapping photos and getting a feel for the place.

374A5999-FEDD-4C9F-8A97-5D4A061A91B7.thumb.jpeg.27c423fe72c3e3570fe2e321ba683cb9.jpeg

As our flight time approaches we make our way slowly to our gate, and see our Big Bird is already waiting at the gate. They really are magnificent aircraft and I find the energy to take a photo of her before boarding starts. I am always amazed at how something this huge ever gets into the sky.

8C6B4BF7-F607-48B2-9746-94CAFF468F9E.thumb.jpeg.767e5569cf79729f831fee23fcf39c38.jpeg

ED15F5D6-E0AD-4288-B385-740D22E269D0.thumb.jpeg.af5e79fdfe9ada71006a8d95df74f1d4.jpeg 

We walk down the ramp and enter the huge wide bodied plane and find our seats. We have an aisle and a window seat, and we desperately hope that nobody occupies the middle seat. However, the ‘plane looks absolutely full.

With fingers crossed we watch the stream of passengers passing by our seats, catching our breath when anyone appears to stop. But the doors close, and we are ready for take off, and the middle seat is still empty! Little do we know what a difference having that space would mean to us on this transatlantic flight.

The huge plane pulls back slowly and trundles gently out of the gate and begins to taxi on its way to the runway. She hesitates for just a fraction as she turns onto the runway and then with a powerful rumble and a burst of power she catapults along the runway, and with barely a quiver she rises like some phoenix from the ashes. We climb steadily and level out, by which time my feelings of exhaustion return. I also start coughing.

“IS THERE A DOCTOR ONBOARD?”

Service is a little slow and before we even get our drinks I am fast asleep. DH tells me that he finds it difficult to rouse me, and I even sleep through the meal. When I eventually wake I start coughing and begin to feel quite ill.

DH become very concerned and goes to speak to the stewards, to see if there is anywhere that I could go to lie down, but they tell him that the plane is full. We realise how lucky we are to have the spare seat between us as it appears to be the only space.

DH continues to be concerned and goes to speak to the crew at the back of the ‘plane. They decide they want me to go to the rear so that they can assess me, and they escort me to a jump seat.

They put me on a heart monitor and oxygen and then make that classic announcement ‘Is there a doctor on board?’

It’s a really spooky feeling to hear that announcement, which I’ve only ever heard in the movies, especially when it is on your behalf. 

After a few minutes a lovely American nurse appears beside me and asks me a few questions, and checks my pulse etc. Then a retired German doctor arrives and does an assessment. He is very kind and speaks perfect English. I have to say that I was pretty much out of it at this stage and the whole time passes in a blur. I know they are checking me regularly, and continue to keep me on oxygen.

The doctor kindly stays with me for nearly two hours, by which time I am so exhausted that I ask to go back to my seat, where I curl up as best I can and fall into a deep sleep.

I don’t wake until we are approaching Munich.