Solo rates for the new all-inclusive Celebrity policy

croozer

I did a mock booking on Celebrity earlier in the week, and they are still charging solo's for 2 wifi, 2 drink pkg, and 2 tips.  I am Elite+, so I already receive the free fancy coffees, and the evening cocktail hours; I don't really need much more.  Needless to say, I won't be sailing X again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I did a mock booking on Celebrity earlier in the week, and they are still charging solo's for 2 wifi, 2 drink pkg, and 2 tips.  I am Elite+, so I already receive the free fancy coffees, and the evening cocktail hours; I don't really need much more.  Needless to say, I won't be sailing X again.

Does that add up to about $300 USD?  The reason I ask, a friend offered to book me a cruise on Celebrity in 2017 but when I did the math I'd be paying the 200 % fee plus $300+ for the a solo cruise cabin.  I didn't take the offer since I could book an NCL, same level (balcony) and the cost was well below that of the Celeb.  I realize the Celeb. cruise might have been a higher level but since I'm Platinum on NCL the price diff. just didn't seem to make sense to me. 

29 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Does that add up to about $300 USD?  The reason I ask, a friend offered to book me a cruise on Celebrity in 2017 but when I did the math I'd be paying the 200 % fee plus $300+ for the a solo cruise cabin.  I didn't take the offer since I could book an NCL, same level (balcony) and the cost was well below that of the Celeb.  I realize the Celeb. cruise might have been a higher level but since I'm Platinum on NCL the price diff. just didn't seem to make sense to me. 

According to the "X" website, based on a veranda stateroom, the cost is $89.50 per day, per person, for the basic package.  Per a question in their FAQ's, a person traveling solo, will pay for both.  $89.50 x 7 nights = $626.50 x 2 = $1,253.00

"Will Single guests be charged double the supplement, if so, will the extra amount be refunded later?"

"Yes, Single guests will be charged double the per day amount for either the Elevate or Indulge package.  Single guests will receive double the amount of corresponding Onboard Credit; however, the Beverage and Wi-Fi packages will not be doubled as these amenities are provided per person. There will not be a refund for the unused packages."

Like I said, doubtful I will sail X again.  Their good....but not THAT good.

@taznremmy thanks for your reply. I'd been told so many different scenarios about why the cost was so much higher than just a double charge.  

The friend/TA (new) said it was b/c it was a special for solos.  I explained that the price was much higher than what I'd found on NCL and she just said X was a much higher class.  That was the straw for me.... I don't use "class" when differentiating between different cabin levels.  

Anyway... thanks for your response.  All the best for this Holiday Season... Merry Chrsitmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers 🥂

2 hours ago, taznremmy said:

According to the "X" website, based on a veranda stateroom, the cost is $89.50 per day, per person, for the basic package.  Per a question in their FAQ's, a person traveling solo, will pay for both.  $89.50 x 7 nights = $626.50 x 2 = $1,253.00

"Will Single guests be charged double the supplement, if so, will the extra amount be refunded later?"

"Yes, Single guests will be charged double the per day amount for either the Elevate or Indulge package.  Single guests will receive double the amount of corresponding Onboard Credit; however, the Beverage and Wi-Fi packages will not be doubled as these amenities are provided per person. There will not be a refund for the unused packages."

Like I said, doubtful I will sail X again.  Their good....but not THAT good.

The new pricing is so annoying! I have to give up my September 2021 transpacific on Solstice which was booked (prior to the new perks-included pricing) with zero perks, so it was a straight 100% supplement. If I book a replacement TP, that's not an option. Oh well. I did book on Edge in a Single Infinite Veranda, but any other cabin category or ship class means paying double and getting less than double value. Their pricing indicates that solo cruisers are not an important market (unless they want the Infinite Veranda cabin), and that's fine. Can't please everyone, right?

Meanwhile, I priced out a Princess cruise and found that the Plus package was a solo-friendly per-person charge rather than Celebrity's per-cabin charge.

Logically I know I might end up paying the same on Princess as on Celebrity, despite the person vs cabin pricing. It's the principle of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Meanwhile, I priced out a Princess cruise and found that the Plus package was a solo-friendly per-person charge rather than Celebrity's per-cabin charge.

I agree.  I appreciate the fact that Princess let's you decide if you want the extra "perks" or you can decline them.  The difference is the pricing....and on Princess, a solo only pays for one for the extras.  That is where I will be shifting my cruising to, and I usually do 8-12 cruises per year. (I'm old and retired..😊..and blessed).  I have cruised with them before, and found them very comparable to RCCL and Celebrity.  

• Like 2