How much carry on to carry on?

Tofutti

We usually fly to our destination, so it's well after 1:00 when we board, so we can go directly to our room with the carry on stuff. This cruise we'll be driving to the port and will be able to board before the rooms are ready. What stuff should you have with you when you board this way?? I know my kids will have their bathing suits on when we leave the hotel, but cameras and purses and stuff I don't want to put in our luggage. Plus I'll have 2 sets of grandparents who have never cruised before and will have stuff I can't imagine!!(I know their purses will be on their arms)Any suggestions??

I can only say what I do for myself and my family. I only carry on valuables, cameras, medications, my toiletries and what I will need immediately, everything else gets checked. Bathing suits are an item I would want to have along. We usually board the ship in an outfit we would not mind wearing to dinner the first night.

If I were you, I'd want to keep my carry on to a minimum, to be able to assist the elderly and children.

Edited to add, because I'm not sure I understand you. I'd not pack purses (unless empty!) cameras or anything I was not comfortable packing in a suitcase. I have a lovely little rolling toiletry case, smaller than a rollaboard, so it's not a big hassle to have along. I have also gone to the cabin and dropped off carry ons, although sometimes they close the corridors off so there is no access.

If you don't have one, I would suggest investing in a carryon size roll-a-board (or two). That way you can consolidate all the cameras, purses, swimsuits, medicine, and jewelry into one or two bags instead of several. Depending on how old the kids are, you could make them in charge of rolling them for you, leaving you to help the grandparents.

Thanks for the advice. The roller bag is a good idea. I had thought of a beach bag, which I had considered bringing anyway for the day at Cocoa Cay. I've got a 16 year old son who can get his workout that day and be a good son at the same time. Hopefully the corridors won't be closed off and we can just drop off the stuff. Happy sailing!!:D

Archived