Empress of the Sea review 1-30-06

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU from the UK for your informative review. Certainly given us lots of ideas for our 04/10 sailing. Can you suggest a suitable area for our pre Meet and Mingle meeting - we don't really want to wait till day 3 to meet up so thought about a sailaway party instead. There's about 25-30 of us so would need a largeish area.

Cheers!

Gillian

You are very welcome. May I suggest the Schooner Bar, deck 5, just aft of the Centrum. The pianist there does not start until later in the evening as he plays in the main dining room also. The Viking Crown Lounge, deck 10 aft, and the Boleros Lounge, deck 6 aft, both seem to have more activity

I can't answer your first question but can the other three.

Yes, regular seating in the main dining room on embarkation day, just 1/2 hour later than normal.

Yes, there is a retractable clothesline in the shower.

And part of the group I was touring with had cabins on the third and forth deck and had safes. Therefore I believe all cabins have them now.

THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!

Kris

P.S. Also Thanks for your answer to Gillian. She's on our sailing.

I thought of one other thing that may help anyone with diabetes or anyone else with a condition where they take shots. As well as calling housekeeping for a refrigerator when you first board for your insulin since the home office won't get the info to them, also ask your room attendant to get you a container to dispose of your needles. It will come from the medical facility at no cost and they will dispose of it at the end of the cruise. Takes the worry of disposing of them away from you.

Wow! Thanks for such a great review! One more question okay? Are there 3 formal nights? I think you said one the day of St. Marteens and the second was the Sunday sea day...was there another one and what day please? Also, which night was lobster night? Thanks again!

Wow! Thanks for such a great review! One more question okay? Are there 3 formal nights? I think you said one the day of St. Marteens and the second was the Sunday sea day...was there another one and what day please? Also, which night was lobster night? Thanks again!

Just the two formal nights, St Maarten and the Sunday sea day. One Smart Casual the first Thursday at Antigua, and one casual Caribbean on the second Wednesday at Aruba which is also the Lobster night.

Retired - Sorry I wasn't able to welcome you back sooner but the computer got a virus and was in the shop for a week. I was lost without it. You wrote a great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm sorry we weren't able to go but we're booked for next year so have that to look forward to. Was glad to see that they have safes in the rooms now. Wonder why that wasn't done while in dry dock. You said you didn't care for the "Panoramic St. Kitts" tour. Was it the tour itself you didn't like or the fact that you were crammed in a van? That was one we wanted to do. Reading your review was almost like being there. Thanks. Cathy

Retired - Sorry I wasn't able to welcome you back sooner but the computer got a virus and was in the shop for a week. I was lost without it. You wrote a great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm sorry we weren't able to go but we're booked for next year so have that to look forward to. Was glad to see that they have safes in the rooms now. Wonder why that wasn't done while in dry dock. You said you didn't care for the "Panoramic St. Kitts" tour. Was it the tour itself you didn't like or the fact that you were crammed in a van? That was one we wanted to do. Reading your review was almost like being there. Thanks. Cathy

Hi Cathy, we've been thinking of you. Hope things are going well for you.

It was being packed in the van the way we were. I did learn after this one, when I saw those vans, if I couldn't be first in, to be last. The front seat and the jump seat offered the only leg room in them. The island itself is beautiful and I was able to enjoy the last of the tour without pain. The wifes of two older couples I had helped earlier insisted the driver move me to the jump seat. They also knew I had gone to the back so they wouldn't have to after a young couple pushed to the front and took the prime seats as we were getting ready to load.

Hi R not E.. What a great trip report! Brought our December sail memories back. Agree that the "dress code" was pretty well upheld. what with it being an older crowd. But, as you mention, we have never sat and critiqued others on cruises either. Our table companions, with whom we are still in contact with by e-mail (they were 40 and 50 yr olds, a bit younger than us!) were always tastefully dressed, which was great. It certainly does help to make a pleasant dining experience.

Your comment regarding the Captain's Table was interesting. We did dine with the Staff Captain (Master John Harestad now, upon being promoted!), but didn"t notice if Captain Frank dined at His table. Wonder if he doesn't "do" dinner.

Your tours reminded me of the ones we took. DH was recovering from bilateral neck surgeries, so we didn't do any long land or any water tours. Yes, those vans are a bit uncomfortable, since DH is 6'3". We also made sure we either boarded first or last! Good thing to remember next time.

All in all, a nice review, thanks again....Helen

Retired.... I think I read that there is no self service laundry on the Empress. Can you remember if they had the "laundry bag" deal when you first arrive at the ship? On some ships they have the bag where there is a certain cost for whatever you can fit into the bag. We are having a vacation in Puerto Rico before we start our cruise and will have plenty of dirty clothes when we board.

One other question... Do they offer chilled soups at dinner?

This is our first RCCL cruise so I'm sure I will come up with more questions.

Thank you for the very well written review. I've seen you on the NCL board so it felt like I was listening to a friend.

Retired.... I think I read that there is no self service laundry on the Empress. Can you remember if they had the "laundry bag" deal when you first arrive at the ship? On some ships they have the bag where there is a certain cost for whatever you can fit into the bag. We are having a vacation in Puerto Rico before we start our cruise and will have plenty of dirty clothes when we board.

One other question... Do they offer chilled soups at dinner?

This is our first RCCL cruise so I'm sure I will come up with more questions.

Thank you for the very well written review. I've seen you on the NCL board so it felt like I was listening to a friend.

Stanley, Sorry, no self service laundry on board and, at least for our cruise, there was no laundry bag special for the whole cruise. You'll need to do it in PR or else use the regular service.

Chilled soups every night. My wife had them all and enjoyed them all. I sampled hers each night and found most to be excellent.

We are going on the empress in March. There are alot of 7:00 am arrival times at the islands so we may be leaving the ship very early some mornings.

Do you know what time the breakfast buffett opens in the mornings? I wonder if it opens early enough that we would be able to have a full "buffett" breakfast and be off the ship by 7:30 am?

We are going on the empress in March. There are alot of 7:00 am arrival times at the islands so we may be leaving the ship very early some mornings.

Do you know what time the breakfast buffett opens in the mornings? I wonder if it opens early enough that we would be able to have a full "buffett" breakfast and be off the ship by 7:30 am?

That was one of my few complaints about this ship. On the Port side of the Windjammer will be a small continental breakfast at 6:30 and coffee out by the pool on the same side. The full buffet does not open until seven. On those early port days with people having tours starting at 8:00, there is a mad crush to get breakfast. Not a good start on those days for people with diabetes or for those who like a QUIET, leisurely, breakfast before going out on tour. But yes, you can make it by 7:30.

The crew will try to keep people out before seven, but some do open the door and go on in and start earlier.

So Retired...Capt Frank is still in command on Empress? Was he just back from vacation? When will Capt Harestad take over. Thanks

Actually, the Captain on our sailing was Captain Manolis Kasselas from Athens, Greece. He looks very young but graduated from the Merchant Marine Academy in 1984. He worked on Epirotoski and Dolphin until he received his Master Mariner License in 1996. He joined RCI in 1997 and has sailed on the Grandeur and the Legend before the Empress. I didn't see him too often off the bridge. If you go in the Windjammer, port side, up where the glass curves around the front, you can look down and watch them control the docking where the bridge juts out.

Lacyjane,

You could always consider room service for the days you need to leave the ship early if you want to avoid the crowd. I know it won't be the same as what the buffet offers but at least you are sure to leave with something in your stomach and not rushed.

Actually, the Captain on our sailing was Captain Manolis Kasselas from Athens, Greece. He looks very young but graduated from the Merchant Marine Academy in 1984. He worked on Epirotoski and Dolphin until he received his Master Mariner License in 1996. He joined RCI in 1997 and has sailed on the Grandeur and the Legend before the Empress. I didn't see him too often off the bridge. If you go in the Windjammer, port side, up where the glass curves around the front, you can look down and watch them control the docking where the bridge juts out.

Hi..Wonder where Captain Harestad was if he wasn't Captain on your sailing. He told us he absolutely loved the Empress and told RCI he wanted to stay on her indefinitely, wasn't interested in larger ships. We thought that was a little odd, but he seemed adamant about it. Perhaps he was on vacation, apparently Captain Frank was, also. Really strange...Helen

retired:

do u recall what items are available on the room service menus? aside from breakfast, what items are available 24 hrs./day? thanks..

nancy

Nancy, I'm sorry. This is one I can't answer. We only used room service one time to get coffee with a cheese plate and a fruit plate. There was a book with quite a few things listed but I had only glanced at it. The room service menu shown on TV had most of what was served in the dining room in the evening.

I did see some very big trays of food being delivered at all times of the day and night so I believe this ship does have some good options. Sorry I can't tell you more.

You have been so good about answering questions. I hate to ask you more. When you have a free moment, could you tell me how convenient the ports were on this cruise? Did you have to tender very much? When you got to shore, was it walkable or did you have to take a taxi or some form of transportation to get into the towns if you didn't take an excursion?

It seems to me that most of the island excursions offer pretty much the same thing and we don't plan on booking an excursion at every port but we will want to get out and at least walk around a little bit.

Again, thank you for any info you can give.

Archived