Refunds

Bob1956

57 minutes ago, uktog said:

You have misunderstood  the post. The cruise lines have been issuing the refunds for international guests it’s the agencies who are not passing the refunds to their customers and have claimed they had not received the refunds. All lies. 

I don't think I misunderstood because that's not what you wrote.  In the post below you clearly stated that RCL took months to provide refunds to the TA's.  I agree the TA's are the weak link.  I doubt that RCL waits months to provide refunds to TA's when they are currently providing refunds to others that use TA's with a week.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, uktog said:

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara all took two months to issue refunds to agents in the UK and I believe it was nearer six months in Australia for some guests. 

26 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't think I misunderstood because that's not what you wrote.  In the post below you clearly stated that RCL took months to provide refunds to the TA's.  I agree the TA's are the weak link.  I doubt that RCL waits months to provide refunds to TA's when they are currently providing refunds to others that use TA's with a week.

I have no issue it was two and a half months for both US and UK guests at the time of my cancellation at the beginning of the pandemic when the cruise lines were still setting up processes.  There were six couples on our cruise 2 US 3 UK and one Australian. 2 US and 1 UK got there refunds at the same time two and a half months after cancellation. The other 2 couples we are one waited and waited. We were both booked through agencies online. We got nothing. RC confirmed in one case they had paid the agency at the same time as the three couples who were refunded so they were not waiting a refund . The other couple discovered the agency had not even paid the money over to the cruise line so the refund should have been the first not the last to be received. For the Australian guests it was a long wait due to the terms RC did trade with agencies there and currency regulations. 

Unfortunately it’s the same agency our AQSC cruise was booked with. Finally this morning they called alleging our cruise got cancelled yesterday but they were transferring us to the Countess on a different date-  no offer of refund, enhancement or anything. We know that’s not the AQSC offer and that the cruise was actually cancelled three weeks or so again. We also know under UK ABTA rules we have to be offered a refund. Again the TA tried to lie their way out of it. 

I really wish we could name and shame because this major online operation are morally and I suspect financially bankrupt and are unfairly giving cruise lines a very bad reputation to hide their own position. 

As an update on 5th January the agency contacted me alleging that the cruise was cancelled that morning.  They advise that the only incentive to rebook is on free $139 excursion plus they will honour the price if we go on the American Queen.  

The gem was the Countess we could go on that cruise on the day before we were supposed to travel for the same fare as we have paid BUT in a lower cabin class and there would be no fare adjustment.

I am not sure how much of this is the agency who was of course dishonest about the offer due to us on the first cancellation and were hiding incentives being given.  The problem in the UK is we do not get our invoice from AQSC it is an invoice from the travel agent so if AQSC was in fact giving an incentive, we would never know.

Anyway we really really want to do this trip at some time and 2022 is an option so we will give it some thought

I wouldn't take the deal, I don't think the ships are really all that full and if your category is booked I would expect an upgrade.    At the very least I would call their bluff and if you really wanted to go, tell them the only way you would go is in the same category or higher.  I have some friends that we're booked on a B2B that was cancelled and they upgraded them to a suite in order to keep their booking.  But if it were me I would take the money.  If the rules in the UK are that you are fully reimbursed should AQSC go bankrupt, I guess there isn't a risk for you.

Thanks, no way am I going in 2021 but I am looking for at least some recognition they will be holding our fully paid fare for another 12 months.  As you say, it’s a no risk situation so I can afford to book and as this agency holds refunds for at least three months after the cruiseline pays it over, it’s not like I’m going to see the refund any time before late summer anyway. 

Edited by uktog

I thought you were looking to cruise later this year.  It may be possible later tis year.  Even with the insurance situation in the UK, I'd probably be requesting the refund.  No way do I want anyone holding an expensive fully paid fare for another 12 months.  Even if a refund takes months,  I'd start the refund process now.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, uktog said:

Thanks, no way am I going in 2021 but I am looking for at least some recognition they will be holding our fully paid fare for another 12 months.  As you say, it’s a no risk situation so I can afford to book and as this agency holds refunds for at least three months after the cruiseline pays it over, it’s not like I’m going to see the refund any time before late summer anyway. 

As an update as given to us by our agent not direct from AQSC so it’s accuracy cannot be confirmed, facts, not seeking debate on what we should do. 

1. We can move our booking up to 13 months on the American Queen.  We get the same length of cruise, same category of room, the same beverage package as before and an excursion valued $129 each. There is however no recognition for our costs to change the business class flights.  This will arise if we choose to push out the full 13 months, we will have to pay a fee to redeposit our air miles then rebook (£70)

2.  If we now cancel (interesting terminology as actually they cancelled on us) our refund will be processed and the agent cannot commit when we will receive it but it will be at least four months. Note the use of the phrase they will receive. This agency has still not paid over refunds to passengers they received from Celebrity in October.  It has also become clear they do not pay over to AQSC until immediately prior to sailing so in all probability our fully paid money isn’t even with the cruiseline but is with the agency so could be paid within the UK 14 day ABTA requirements.  
Of course if we go for No 2 we would in all probability give it 28 days and lodge a S75 on  MasterCard. 

If