Moving on.......Luxury Cruises: from boom to bust? Channel 4

Harry Peterson

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Nothing in life is without risk. 

The 95% I can quite happily live with . 

What I can't be doing with on a cruise is masks, social distancing, and not being able to leave the ship, other than on a coach with 50 other people. 

Being surrounded by people that have had the vaccine is safer than those that haven't.The safest we're ever going to be is when we all have the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Being surrounded by people that have had the vaccine is safer than those that haven't.The safest we're ever going to be is when we all have the vaccine.

Then you are going to have a long, long wait before you go cruising again.

1 minute ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Your right,i havn't booked it yet,it's me being optimistic and upbeat,that's why i've put all the dots after the word "cruise".

We have a cruise to Alaska in June and Norway in August. Not booked 2022 yet, but soon will. Land holidays booked as well.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

What I can't be doing with on a cruise is masks, social distancing, and not being able to leave the ship, other than on a coach with 50 other people. 

If the coach operator's apply correct social distancing, the coach should have far less than 50 passengers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

95% safe,it's the other 5% that worries me,especially being in close proximity to all those that haven't had the vaccine,that's the most worrying part,you can't walk across the road to avoid people.

Only 95 % will not get the disease, but both Pfizer and Oxford vaccines have reported no one got seriously ill, which is the important point.  You would not have refused to go on holiday previously if you might have caught a cold or another winter bug.  All vulnerable people will be done relatively soon.  Hancock said this afternoon they are opening new vaccine centres all the time so rate increasing and chances are we will have more vaccines, including Oxford one as time goes by

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, tring said:

Only 95 % will not get the disease, but both Pfizer and Oxford vaccines have reported no one got seriously ill, which is the important point.  You would not have refused to go on holiday previously if you might have caught a cold or another winter bug.  All vulnerable people will be done relatively soon.  Hancock said this afternoon they are opening new vaccine centres all the time so rate increasing and chances are we will have more vaccines, including Oxford one as time goes by

Cruise ships can be very crowded at times with nowhere to escape to,i'd rather be surrounded by people that have had the jab than those that hadn't.I agree with what your saying and perhaps it's just me being over cautious.

1 hour ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Cruise ships can be very crowded at times with nowhere to escape to,i'd rather be surrounded by people that have had the jab than those that hadn't.I agree with what your saying and perhaps it's just me being over cautious.

With the new protocols and reduced passenger numbers,  crowding should be less than previously, but also much less enjoyable for those of us who enjoy meeting new people at dinner or in the bars. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Once we get the jab, I guess mixing with folk that hadn't would be less of an issue, but if everyone on board had been vaccinated and there was a degree of social distancing we would feel more comfortable. I'm not too bothered about tables for 2 , or having to take ships tours.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With the new protocols and reduced passenger numbers,  crowding should be less than previously, but also much less enjoyable for those of us who enjoy meeting new people at dinner or in the bars. 

It will be different wowzz but hopefully not forever. and I know you think it will a long time before these protocols are relaxed.  

However it was interesting to hear Anthony Fauci on the news tonight saying that he would hope that by March/April we should begin to see some relaxation of the current rules on land, and that by the end of summer he hopes that we will be well on the way back to normality, and of course the USA has a much larger population to vaccinate than we do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Once we get the jab, I guess mixing with folk that hadn't would be less of an issue, but if everyone on board had been vaccinated and there was a degree of social distancing we would feel more comfortable. I'm not too bothered about tables for 2 , or having to take ships tours.

I feel similar.I prefer sharing a table at mealtimes with other cruisers and I prefer to explore ports independantly but I will be happy to try a cruise if the Itinerary is interesting to see how it goes.Cunard have stated on their website that they are looking at lower priced excursions available at 8 weeks before sailing and I presume P and O will do similar.As long as I and my husband have had the jab I won't be too worried as long as social distancing etc is adhered to

Edited by ann141
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

As you will know I'm not an expert , nor do I profess to know as much on this subject as many on here. If there is 95% efficacy, does that mean the other 5% will catch it. I didn't think so, but will no doubt be corrected.

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It will be different wowzz but hopefully not forever. and I know you think it will a long time before these protocols are relaxed.  

However it was interesting to hear Anthony Fauci on the news tonight saying that he would hope that by March/April we should begin to see some relaxation of the current rules on land, and that by the end of summer he hopes that we will be well on the way back to normality, and of course the USA has a much larger population to vaccinate than we do.

I'm sure you are right,  and we have two cruises booked for 2022, but in the interim we are booking neither cruise or land holidays until the situation becomes clearer.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

I feel similar.I prefer sharing a table at mealtimes with other cruisers and I prefer to explore ports independantly but I will be happy to try a cruise if the Itinerary is interesting to see how it goes.Cunard have stated on their website that they are looking at lower priced excursions available at 8 weeks before sailing and I presume P and O will do similar.

What a refreshing attitude. Try it and if it's not for you, don't book again until it becomes more acceptable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As you will know I'm not an expert , nor do I profess to know as much on this subject as many on here. If there is 95% efficacy, does that mean the other 5% will catch it. I didn't think so, but will no doubt be corrected.

Good question. My take on the matter, and I'm no expert either, is that if 100 people, all of whom have been vaccinated, are exposed to the virus, 95 of them will catch the virus, but suffer no symptoms.  The other 5 will catch the virus, but will suffer Covid symptoms.  

Just waiting for an expert to come along !

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good question. My take on the matter, and I'm no expert either, is that if 100 people, all of whom have been vaccinated, are exposed to the virus, 95 of them will catch the virus, but suffer no symptoms.  The other 5 will catch the virus, but will suffer Covid symptoms.  

I am hoping that most of the 95% will find that the vaccine has given them sufficient protection that their immune system blows the little virus b*****s to smithereens before they have any hope of infecting me, if not I will be deeply upset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have never seen any mention of the virus producing wide scale asymptomatic cases as you are suggesting and that would surely vastly increase the problem of the virus, rather than help the situation.  Reports I have seen have said it is 95% effective against the disease and is what vaccines are for.  It was also said that none who had the vaccine became seriously ill, for both Pfizer and Oxford vaccines, which would mean 100% of people would not end up in hospital and is the important point IMO.  Let's hope that remains true as the vaccine is used in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

I have never seen any mention of the virus producing wide scale asymptomatic cases as you are suggesting and that would surely vastly increase the problem of the virus, rather than help the situation.  Reports I have seen have said it is 95% effective against the disease and is what vaccines are for.  It was also said that none who had the vaccine became seriously ill, for both Pfizer and Oxford vaccines, which would mean 100% of people would not end up in hospital and is the important point IMO.  Let's hope that remains true as the vaccine is used in the future.

If that is the case, then I am happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

True of course, but even with 25 I wouldn't be on it!

I went on a couple of coach day trips in the summer(booked before Covid pandemic got under way).

There were about 10 people on each tour. As infection rates were very low at the time, it felt comfortable.

However, with the new more infectious variant,  the thought of 25 people on the coach seems about 24 people too many.

If I can just add a drop of reality to this conversation, you all seem to be concerned about this "95%" effectiveness. Surely you are all aware that the annual flu vaccine, which I assume you all have, is only 50% effective and therefore I think a vaccine that is almost double that effectiveness is pretty good. Personally I shall be at the front of the queue as soon as I am  told its my turn!!

Peter

• Like 2

Just now, Zombatar said:

If I can just add a drop of reality to this conversation, you all seem to be concerned about this "95%" effectiveness. Surely you are all aware that the annual flu vaccine, which I assume you all have, is only 50% effective and therefore I think a vaccine that is almost double that effectiveness is pretty good. Personally I shall be at the front of the queue as soon as I am  told its my turn!!

Peter

Not only that, but the annual flu vaccine is effective for less than 6 months!