GeoBlue Update

Hlitner

Some of you might recall previous posts about GeoBlue coverage for COVID.  I just talked to the GeoBlue folks, this morning, and want to offer an update.  Keep in mid that GeoBlue (part of the Blue Cross/BS Network) is licensed for sale in most States (there are a couple of exceptions) and is only travel medical and medical evacuation coverage.  If you want cancellation or interruption coverage you need to look elsehere.

GeoBlue primarily offers two kinds of policies, and annual trip medical plan (usually called "Trekker") and individual trip plans (usually called "Voyager").  The annual plans DO NOT currently include coverage for COVID (or other pandemics).  But their individual Voyager Plans do INCLUDE coverage for illness due to COVID which makes these plans attractive for some travelers.  However, although GeoBlue does cover COVID (under Voyager Plans) they exclude trip evacuation related to COVID!  This latter issue is why I called them today and they did confirm that their Voyager Plans do not cover evacuation for COVID cases.  One very nice thing about their Voyager Plans is that you can choose your coverage amount (up to $1 million) and deductible (ranging from $0 to $500).  

So, if this is medical evacuation issue is a problem what to do?  Medjetassist (a highly rated medical evacuation program) does include Medical Evacuation for COVID from a handful of countries (including most of the Caribbean and Mexico).   

I should add that another option for those seeking medical coverage for COVID is a plan offered by Atlas International.   While their plans do cover medical evacuation for COVID my issue with them is that their coverage limitations for older folks is very limited (i.e. maximum might be $100,000 or medical).

I will again sound a personal warning about medical insurance maximums.  Most of the policies offered by the cruise lines have relatively low maximums (often $10,000 or perhaps $25,000).  While this might seem adequate we think it is wholly INADEQUATE unless folks have other medical insurance.  In this new COVID world one can easily run up far more then $100,000 in medical bills with a bad case of COVID (i.e. hospitalization in ICU with ventilator).  I remain outspoken about medical limits and think that $100,000 is a reasonable starting point to consider for coverage.   Always remember that your personal liability for medical costs is unlimited and medical costs are still the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting. Good post with good info. We have a Trekker policy and rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve for Cancellation with some level of self insured depending on the trip cost.

Understanding the Covid issue... If one were to get vaccinated and feel that at that point they were willing to risk the to be determined low probability (a personal choice and judgement) of contracting Covid AND suffering serious effects from it:

We hit the 70 "milestone" last year. What are your thoughts on traveling with the Trekker $100,000 limit in general for other potential health issues that might arise? 

I just checked GeoBlue.  Out of anything I have checked so far it seems to be the best.  I'm confused though. Unless I did something wrong the annual Trekker policy cost less than the Voyager policywhich is kind of strange.  Also, it looked like the Voyager plan cant be purchased more than 6 months ahead. This isnt a problem because it covers pre-existing conditions.    When I traveled on the QM2 in 2013 I was still working. My agent told me that my insurance would not cover me out of the country. I was sure he was wrong so I called them up and found out my coverage was the same as it was in country. She said to please get the bill in English.  I didnt know enough to ask about evacuation though and she didnt offer.  I'm not much of an international traveler

5 hours ago, Croooser said:

Thanks for posting. Good post with good info. We have a Trekker policy and rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve for Cancellation with some level of self insured depending on the trip cost.

Understanding the Covid issue... If one were to get vaccinated and feel that at that point they were willing to risk the to be determined low probability (a personal choice and judgement) of contracting Covid AND suffering serious effects from it:

We hit the 70 "milestone" last year. What are your thoughts on traveling with the Trekker $100,000 limit in general for other potential health issues that might arise? 

You can certainly buy the $100,000 limit or choose other options up to $1,000,000.  I do not think there is any right, wrong, or good rule.  It comes down to your personal risk tolerance and level of comfort...plus your budget.  Suffice it to say that although we are normally fine with $100,000, given what is happening in the world we purchased a much higher limit.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt response. I agree that we are in wait and see mode as far as what the new normal is for international travel.

Trekker coverage limit maxes out at $100,000 for age >70. The Trekker choice option increases evac coverage but not medical. As you stated, the Voyager policies have coverage options but are more expensive and are single trip only, not multi trip. 

In the end, I realize that deciding on insurance for international travel is a first world problem that we are fortunate to be in a position to consider.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@Hlitner, if you had to decide today,  which option would you pick? 

Thanks so much for your proactive update in this thread.

Still hope I get to meet you on a cruise one day! 

I can tell you that we live in Mexico during the winter and purchased the maximum possible limit ($1,000,000) for this trip.  The extra cost of the much higher limits was affordable and gives us more peace of mind.  We would have been very comfortable with the $500,000 medical limit doubling that limit is quite inexpensive.   

We do have several future cruises booked but have not purchased any insurance (at this time) for those trips.  I prefer not to deal with trying to get back insurance premiums after cruises have been cancelled :(.  

Hank

• Like 1