Constellation Review 1/21-1/28 B2B

greeneg

Introduction

My wife and I had booked this Back-2-Back cruise while we were on board the Zenith in January of 2005. We had never sailed on an M-Class ship and really wanted to try one in an Aft Balcony cabin. We were lucky enough to get the same cabin for both weeks and were really looking forward to the cruise.

To San Juan and Embarkation

Our flight from Charlotte was about an hour late leaving because of heavy fog; some of the time was made up but otherwise the trip to the ship was uneventful. Luggage delivery from the plane was a little slow but embarkation was easy. We had printed our Express Passes prior to leaving home which I would recommend as it does speed up the process.

Once on board, we were taken to our cabin, met our Steward and grabbed a late, light lunch in the Buffet.

The Ship

Constellation is beautifully decorated and appears to be well maintained. The only equipment that I noticed to be inoperable was one of the coffee machines in the buffet failed during the second week. Our cabin was very nicely furnished, comfortable and the aft balcony everything that everyone on the boards has said that it was. We are now thoroughly ruined and if an aft balcony is available in the future, I plan to jump on it.

Service

We received outstanding service during both cruises. Our cabin steward, Melanino was very attentive and at the same time very unobtrusive. He treated us as though we were someone very important.

We were fortunate to keep our same waiter, Vladomir and his assistant, Luis, on both weeks although we did have to change tables the second week because of the Keystone Automotive Group. We requested to have Vlad and Luis assigned to us and our Maitre d’ Marcel was good enough to do that for us.

Food

We ate breakfast in the buffet restaurant. It was well prepared and hot. I was personally disappointed in both the pancake and waffle station as I thought that both items spent too much time between being prepared and served. This may well have been just a matter of bad timing on my part and others may well have had a different experience.

We usually ate a sandwich or salad for lunch, again on Deck 10. The wrap sandwiches were very good as were the Hamburgers from the Pool Grill. We tended to avoid major hot buffet lunches as we just couldn’t eat that much food and still survive dinner in the San Marco Restaurant.

By and large, Dinner was well prepared and was well served as noted above. I cannot say that I think that Celebrity’s food quality has gone down appreciably the way some others have noted; I do think, however, that Celebrity has become less adventuresome in the selection of menu items and that the food seems much more bland than it used to be. I did order a steak off the menu on two nights because I personally didn’t care for the available dishes, and we did eat in the Sushi Bar on the last night of the trip. The latter was just excellent and I probably should have done that more often.

Overall, I don’t think that anyone starved on either of the two weeks that we were on the ship.

Ports of Call

Our first week was the St. Maartin, Dominica, St. Lucia, Ilsa Margarita, Aruba Itinerary. We did not get off the ship in St. Maartin as the weather was very iffy and we had been there several times before. Dominica and St. Lucia were new ports for us and we enjoyed both of them. On Dominica, we took the tour that went to the Caribe Indian area on the Atlantic side and found it very interesting. We took the Volcano tour via the Catamaran to the Pitons, and were very impressed with how beautiful St. Lucia is. The volcano very definitely has bad breath, though. Ilsa Margarita was also interesting; we toured the Artist’s Colony and my wife shopped for pearls. The week ended with Aruba, we got off, walked around a bit, found prices very expensive, and went back to the ship for lunch and a nap on the balcony.

The second week, our first stop was Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic. We did the tour to the Alta de Chavon via the free shuttle. Pretty scenery and interesting, but do believe I would stay on the ship the next time. Barbados was next; I had booked an off the ship excursion on the snorkeling Catamaran Silver Moon II after reading the rave reviews on the Ports of Call Boards. The reviews were justified; this was the best single excursion that we did. More information here, http://oceanadventures.bb/ . This was a great day, and I had a ball. I definitely can recommend this excursion. Good lunch too. Grenada was next and another good day as this is another of our favorite islands. It always smells so wonderful. Next was St.Kitts another personal favorite. I think that the Brinely Gold Rum is some of the best that there is. Last was St. Thomas, which is pretty much the same as it always has been. It was showery and not a lot of sun. We walked around the Straw Market and then went back to the ship. Next day was San Juan for the second time and then home.

Debarkation

We had no major problems with disembarkation and transfer to the airport. I had done the electronic check in and printed our boarding passes via the ship’s computers in St. Thomas the day before; we were able to check our bags as the US Airways counter in the Port Terminal and then go directly to the airport, pass through Security and go to the gate. The bags were delivered in Charlotte without problems.

Final thoughts

My initial thoughts, when we first booked this cruise, was that I was going to find the M class ships “too big” and “too impersonal”. Other cruisers had told us that the ships really do not feel that much bigger than Galaxy or Mercury and I have to say that I think that that is true. Admittedly, it is a walk from the Aft Cabin to the Celebrity Theater, but given the food service that is probably a good thing. Constellation is a lovely ship, beautifully and tastefully appointed, and I would not hesitate to sail her again, particularly in one of those wonderful aft cabins.

Itineraries

This is an area where at least from my perspective, Celebrity needs to do some work. We have done our last four cruises to the Caribbean and are beginning to need some new places to go. Having added Dominica, St. Lucia, Casa de Campo and Ilsa Margarita to the places that we have “been to, done that, and bought the tee shirts” I, for one, would like to break some new ground. We will be going to the Mexican Rivera next year on the Mercury, so absent some new itineraries, that may be it for us for a while. Celebrity please get creative.

Fellow Passengers

There have been a number of comments about the large group that was on the second week. My only thought is that they were a very diverse group and like most diverse groups composed of all sorts of people. I think that I would tend to avoid this sort of situation if possible, for the reason that any group that size is going to dominate the ship for that particular week. I can’t say that they created any problem for us specifically.

There were definitely some of the most obese people that I have ever seen in my life on the ship: I would like to thank them for at least making me feel much more slender that I actually am.

I have to comment on smoking on board the ship. I know that this has been beaten to death and I do not wish to start a flame war, but I do have to state that we were unlucky enough to have cigar smokers on either side of our balcony, which did diminish our ability to use it some of the time. I really think that Celebrity does need to do something about smoking on the ships: I realize that they may have to make a choice between losing the smokers or the non-smokers and that they would like to avoid this for as long as possible, but I do think that decision time is rearing its ugly head.

I also would like to add my thoughts as far as the dress code is concerned. I personally would like to see Celebrity either enforce it, or abolish it. On all four of the Formal Nights, there were any number of men in the main dining room who were in casual shirts and even jeans while the rest of us were appropriately dressed. I do not see any reason to have the code if it is not going to be followed. Personally, I would drop it, even though it would mean that I no longer had an opportunity to wear my tuxedo. I would make that sacrifice in order to encourage consistency.

Finally, I would like to say that a Back 2 Back does not make a 14 night cruise. Had we not done it, I would not have appreciated that, but my net conclusion is that the longer cruise ( 11 nights or greater) is what my wife and I prefer. The transition between two new groups of table partners and the other people that you meet just doesn’t compare favorably with the relationships that develop on the longer cruises. In the future, we will stick to longer, single cruises rather than Back 2 Backs.

Wonderful ship, wonderful cabin, wonderful service, that about sums it up.

I will be more than happy to try and answer any questions that anyone has.

Hi Ed !

Thanks for the outstanding review. I totally agree with your comments about the itineraries. My biggest wish for the 2007/2008 Caribbean schedule (and probably many other itineraries as well), is that Celebrity gets more Creative. For the past 3-4 years, many of the itineraries have not changed all that much, and in some cases, not at all.

For those of us who sail with them regularly, I know we would love to see some new and different Caribbean itineraries and a few new ports. Yes, I am well aware that it is probably wishful thinking... but one can hope :).

I have so many New ideas for them.... and at times, I wish I could get them to listen. I often toy with the idea of putting my ideas on here, and hope someone at Celebrity will read them. Unfortunately, I dont think they want our opinions. We will probably know what is in store for 2007/2008 in the next 2-3 months. Let's hope for the best.

Thanks for a great review. We sail Constellation, in 3 weeks. We sailed her last year and enjoyed her so much. I do like the intinerary that we have with Aruba and Margarita island alot better than Dominican republic last year.

I do hope they get creative with itinerary.

Charlei

Thanks so much for your review. We sail this coming Saturday. And was so excited I could not sleep, I had to get up and get on the boards.

I was not sure we would make this cruise since I became sick the end of November and just got out of the hospital 2 weeks ago !

Now I am ready to go and can't sleep or wait. Well I guess Friday will get here soon enough.

Anyway thanks for the info

There is one comment that I realize that I left out of the review that I need to add.

The Cirque de Soleil show in the Theater is simply spellbinding and magical. There were a lot of adverse comments when the initial Cirque programs came on board, but the show in the Theater is just wonderful. We went both weeks, the shows were slightly different and were one of the highlights of the cruise for me.

We were fortunate to meet and have a chance to talk to a couple of the Cirque performers while on the trip. Not only are they very, very, talented and friendly, but easily approachable and more than willing to talk about the show and how it is to do it on board a moving ship. I'd like to thank them for a very memorable experience one more time here.

Having said all that, I do want to add the comment that I do not like what was done to the Bar at the Edge of the Earth: I would be much happier if it reverted to being the place on the ship with the very best view. When we are on the Zenith and at sea, I tend to "live" in the Fleet Bar and I missed that opportunity on the Constellation. It just isn't the same.

Hi Ed, glad you had such a good time:) I was on Constellation in

Dec 2004 and she is a beautiful ship.

Just wanted to let you know I just returned from your favorite

ship (Zenith);) and I had a wonderful time too. She is smaller but

the staff and crew (in my opinion) matched any of the service I have

had on previous cruises. Everyone friendly and helpful!

I would sail her again as well:)

Greeneg, Great review of a great ship. We were on Constellation last September and we had Marcel as our Maitre d'. He was wonderful and so friendly. We were a group of 21 and he took us on a trip to the kitchens. We all enjoyed his company very much. We loved Constellation so much that we booked an aft balcony for March 26. We can't wait to get on again especially on a day like this with all our snow. Pat

Ed, thanks for a very well-balanced, intelligent and fair review. But then, we Charlotteans are noted for those qualities. :D

We were on the Constellation for 14 days in 2004 for the Baltics itinerary. We loved it. One of my favorite memories was sitting by the window in the martini bar sipping multiple martinis while we left Stockholm and its hundreds of small harbor and river islands.

We, too, prefer the longer cruises. On the seven-day and shorter trips, it sometimes seems like you've just really settled in to the routine when you realize that you're already halfway through, and it's time to start counting the days until you have to go back home. Before I retired, though, we never had that option because of limited vacation time. We also like to spend an extra day in the port city, especially before a cruise, to be able to avoid worrying about missed flights, and to be well-rested when we board the ship. On our first few trips to Europe for cruises, we tried to arrive the day of departure, and were lucky not to have flight problems, but we wound up spending the first day sleeping because of the jet lag, and felt like we had missed a day of our cruise.

Allen

Ed,

Thank you for a great review. I was particularly interested because we are doing the same cruises beginning on Friday. A 7 day cruise is the longest we've been on so your comments were interesting. We, too, have an aft cabin and it is wonderful.

You did a great job with your review.

There is one comment that I realize that I left out of the review that I need to add.

The Cirque de Soleil show in the Theater is simply spellbinding and magical. There were a lot of adverse comments when the initial Cirque programs came on board, but the show in the Theater is just wonderful. We went both weeks, the shows were slightly different and were one of the highlights of the cruise for me.

We were fortunate to meet and have a chance to talk to a couple of the Cirque performers while on the trip. Not only are they very, very, talented and friendly, but easily approachable and more than willing to talk about the show and how it is to do it on board a moving ship. I'd like to thank them for a very memorable experience one more time here.

Having said all that, I do want to add the comment that I do not like what was done to the Bar at the Edge of the Earth: I would be much happier if it reverted to being the place on the ship with the very best view. When we are on the Zenith and at sea, I tend to "live" in the Fleet Bar and I missed that opportunity on the Constellation. It just isn't the same.

Looks like they have changed the Cirque show. When we were on the Connie in the Baltics last May, it took place in the Bar at The Edge and it was the same every night except the first. It was called an "experience" with costumed characters walking around.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/intowines/album?.dir=/3169

I am glad that they are now doing a show in the Theater.

We did like the decor on the Connie better than what we saw on the Millie 2 weeks ago in South America.

Thank you for your review!!! I just got off the ship and would also like to add some of my comments. All and all a super great cruise!

We also were surrounded by cigar smokers...do they have any clue how disgusting they smell? We could not use or open our balcony when they were out smoking because our cabin would smell so badly. Very disappointing when you think of extra dollars you pay to have a balcony.

On our cruise there were many "fit" people. The gym and treadmills were usually full. They could use replacing and also add a few...plus play some upbeat music.

The band on board is the best! I have cruised on 10 cruises, and they are the best I've heard. They are a great dancing band and play by the pool and the Edge of the Earth.

Make sure to visit the Martini bar bartender....he is amazing!

We just got back from the 2/4 cruise on the Constellation. I agree with you about Marcel. He was not even our maitred' and he helped us out so much with our seating arrangements. Celebrity is lucky to have him and his cousin Martin on the Infinity.

Hi Ed. Thanks for the review. I'm going on the Constellation in 2 weeks-- my first time. Was wondering what excursions you did in Greneda and St. Kitts. Were they through the ship or on your own?? Do they still offer a trip to Catalina Isl. off DR?? Thanks for your advice.

Joe

Hi Joe. In both St. Kitts and Grenada, we did book ship excursions. We had been to both before and decided to do the city tour and Turtle Beach trip on St. Kitts. It was a nice day, we snorkled off of the beach ( you have to go out to the reef to find anything) and had a nice lunch in the restaurant on the beach.

In Grenada, we took a catamaran half day sail, snorkle, and beach break. Were back to the ship by lunchtime and ate on board.

Two beautiful islands, if you like rum, be sure to bring back some of the Brinely Gold from St. Kitts, wonderfully smooth.....

Have a great trip.

Archived