My proposed iternary.... please check!

tempoct

Hi,

Finally, complete my first draft of the iternary. It is, of course, open for suggestion!

Cruise: NB from Vancouver to Anchorage (HAL or Princess)

Day 1: Arrive Vancouver by air, sightseeing and board the ship in the evening

Day 2: (at sea) Inside Passage sightseeing

Day 3: Ketchikan: Easy sightseeing excursion (Lighthouse, Totem, etc)

Day 4: Juneau: Sightseeing salmon bake :) or dog sled tour (but my dad doesn't want to get on heli :P)

Day 5: Skagway: Take Yukon/Emalrald lake excursion (do we need to do immigration on the way?) or whale watching excursion or white pass

Day 6: Glacier Bay NP

Day 7: College Fjord

Day 8 Princess: Whitter: Price William Sound cruise/ or tour that we can get on glacier (w/o heli) evening, pickup rental car and scenic drive to Anchorage (2 hr). Spend the night there.

Day 8 HAL: Seward: Kenai Fjord NP/ try to get close to the glacier! evening, railroad or coach bus to Anchorage (4 hr), pick up rental car in Anchorage and spend the night there.

**one way rental car to Denali

Day 9: AM sightseeing Anchorage, PM scenic drive to Denali. Spend a night close to Denali/Mt.Mckinley (which city is the best for this??)

Day 10: Mt.Mckinley and Denali NP. Might take a flightseeing to Mt.Mckinley. All sightseeing. Spend the night around Denali (where?)

Day 11: Denali NP sightseeing & wildlife search :). Evening spend the night same place. Return rental car.

Day 12: Early AM: Catch the scenic train to Fairbanks. Arrive Fairbanks around noon. Sightseeing Fairbanks in PM. (Any activity recommend?) Spend the night in Fairbanks.

Day 13: Arctic circle tour (worth it?) or any good 1-day activities here.

Day 13 evening or Day 14 morning: Catch flight back to LA (Burbank, CA).

That's it! Please help me see is there anything bad here :) Any recommendation is appreciated.

Also, I might be travelling 3 persons now, me, my dad and my sister. Should I get 2nd copy of the toursaver? Any toursaver usuage recommendation during this iternary?

Thanks a bunch!

Just some suggestions- For the cruise portion, Whale watching is out of Juneau and the Totem and Lighthouse tour gets poor reviews.

Land portion- you have no access on to Glaciers from the Whittier boat tours. If you want to get on the glaciers an option would be a side trip to Matanuska Glacier with http://www.micaguides.com Only car rental option for one way is Avis or Harley's, Whittier/Anchorage. And I would suggest you head directly to Seward if you are cruising into Whittier. Makes better use of time with an overnight in Seward. IF cruising HAL, can do the Kenai Fjords boat tour and then take the train to Anchorage that night.

From Anchorage, you need to allow 6 hours for the drive with stops Anchrage/Denali Park, there are many stops to consider along the way. Leaving in the evening is not the best choice. For clairfication "McKinley" is not a city. I'll assume you are referring to Talkeetna?? This would be my recommendation and then schedule your flightseeing then, next day continue on to the Denali National Park entrance area. 2 nights here is suggested with the SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek.

There is NO rental car return option in Denali Park area. You will have this car with a Fairbanks return. Only two companies that I know of that rent one way, Thrifty and Avis. Research for others and current information.

If you are looking at the train to Fairbanks, it arrives about 8pm, not noon. This portion of the rail just about parallels the Parks Highway for similar scenery.

The Arctic Circle tours are very good and offer plenty of varied touring. But I suggest the fly/shuttle combos rather than the bus trips. A nice varied touring, rather than excessive time on the road.

Toursavers are mostly 2 for 1 deals, so there would be no benefit to having 2 books with 3 people.

I have no idea, never been to Alaska, just an opportunity for me to pop in and say, "You Lucky, LUCKY, person you!" (well luck probably has nothing to do with it, you seem like the kind of person who worked hard for this trip). I am jealous. Do me a favor and let me, and others, know how your itinerary went ok? I really want to go someday soon.

I have no idea, never been to Alaska, just an opportunity for me to pop in and say, "You Lucky, LUCKY, person you!" (well luck probably has nothing to do with it, you seem like the kind of person who worked hard for this trip). I am jealous. Do me a favor and let me, and others, know how your itinerary went ok? I really want to go someday soon.

Hope you get to go soon too. :) It is paradise. There are plenty of people on this board that can offer some cost savings options and trip planning if of interest??

I think your itinerary looks great but have one suggestion. I realize that you are starting your journey in California but would recommend flying in one day prior to your cruise. It will give you time to see Vancouver which is a lovely city but more importantly it's always good to arrive a day before should you encounter problems with your flights. Again, I realize your distance is not as great as say if you were coming from the East Coast but I would highly encourage you to arrive a day early to be on the safe side.

Keith

What Keith said. Even with insurance I could not imagine the pain of missing a trip of a lifetime because your plane got a problem and they could not accomodate you until too late. It's a small piece of mind that can really improve your vacation. You are also able to start relaxing a day early, just resting and experiencing Vancouver, a lovely city. Worth every penny of the extra money you would spend.

Hi,

I have edited my iternary based on the few recommendation here :)

BQ, any recommendation for excursion in the 3 visits of the cruise? Does whale watching cruise really need? (or most likely I will saw some whale on the big ship anyway?).

Also, anyone know what time HAL ship arrive at Seward? On their site, they just say "embark AM".

On Seward, can both Kenai Fjord NP tour and Resurrection Bay tour can be done in one day? Any recommended tour here?

I check train schedule from Seward to Anchorage, it departs at 6PM and arrive Anchorage around 10PM. Will it be too dark for scenic? (late June/ early July).

It's still open for suggestion..

Day 1: Arrive Vancouver by air (early morning or a night earlier), sightseeing and board the ship in the evening. I have been in Vancouver before so, this is just revisit.

Day 3: Ketchikan: Easy sightseeing excursion

Day 4: Juneau: Sightseeing salmon bake. Capital sightseeing.

Day 5: Skagway: Take Yukon/Emalrald lake excursion (do we need to do immigration on the way?) or white pass

Day 8 Princess: Whitter: Get to Seward by bus. (which way is quick?)

Day 8 HAL: Seward: Kenai Fjord NP/ Resurrection Bay tour. Evening 6PM, railroad to Anchorage (4 hr), pick up rental car in Anchorage and spend the night there.

**one way rental car to Fairbanks

Day 9: AM sightseeing Anchorage, PM scenic drive to Denali. Spend a night close to Denali/Mt.Mckinley. Probably Talkeetna.

Day 10: Mt.Mckinley and Denali NP. Might take a flightseeing to Mt.Mckinley. All sightseeing. Spend the night in Talkeetna.

Day 11: Denali NP sightseeing & wildlife search :). Evening spend the night in Talkeetna.

Day 12: Early AM: Scenic drive to Fairbanks and get around Fairbanks in late PM. Return rental car. Stay a night at Fairbanks.

Day 13: Arctic circle guided tour. (drive or fly/drive if my dad didn't get sick of flying yet.

That's it! Please help me see is there anything bad here :) Any recommendation is appreciated.

Probably 3 persons and one toursaver book. Open for toursaver usuage around the trip.

Hi,

I have edited my iternary based on the few recommendation here :)

BQ, any recommendation for excursion in the 3 visits of the cruise? Does whale watching cruise really need? (or most likely I will saw some whale on the big ship anyway?).

Also, anyone know what time HAL ship arrive at Seward? On their site, they just say "embark AM".

On Seward, can both Kenai Fjord NP tour and Resurrection Bay tour can be done in one day? Any recommended tour here?

I check train schedule from Seward to Anchorage, it departs at 6PM and arrive Anchorage around 10PM. Will it be too dark for scenic? (late June/ early July).

It's still open for suggestion..

Day 1: Arrive Vancouver by air (early morning or a night earlier), sightseeing and board the ship in the evening. I have been in Vancouver before so, this is just revisit.

Day 3: Ketchikan: Easy sightseeing excursion

Day 4: Juneau: Sightseeing salmon bake. Capital sightseeing.

Day 5: Skagway: Take Yukon/Emalrald lake excursion (do we need to do immigration on the way?) or white pass

Day 8 Princess: Whitter: Get to Seward by bus. (which way is quick?)

Day 8 HAL: Seward: Kenai Fjord NP/ Resurrection Bay tour. Evening 6PM, railroad to Anchorage (4 hr), pick up rental car in Anchorage and spend the night there.

**one way rental car to Fairbanks

Day 9: AM sightseeing Anchorage, PM scenic drive to Denali. Spend a night close to Denali/Mt.Mckinley. Probably Talkeetna.

Day 10: Mt.Mckinley and Denali NP. Might take a flightseeing to Mt.Mckinley. All sightseeing. Spend the night in Talkeetna.

Day 11: Denali NP sightseeing & wildlife search :). Evening spend the night in Talkeetna.

Day 12: Early AM: Scenic drive to Fairbanks and get around Fairbanks in late PM. Return rental car. Stay a night at Fairbanks.

Day 13: Arctic circle guided tour. (drive or fly/drive if my dad didn't get sick of flying yet.

Probably 3 persons and one toursaver book. Open for toursaver usuage around the trip.

Ships are in early to Seward 2am is not unusual. You can just walk off the ship here, luggage is either under a tent or inside the terminal. You already have cleared customs in Vancouver. I am off the ship early, usually by 8am, was out at 7am last year. Even though they do issue colored tags and call by color. It is only important for those getting on the right buses, transfers etc.

Look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, there are way too many excellent tours to recommend. As for whale watching. IF you want some close up extended viewing, tours are necessary. If you are going to be happy with no sightings from your cruise ships, then forget the whale watches. From your cruise ship- most people are not willing to invest the considerable amount of time necessary for whale watching. Views at best will be distant and brief.

You will NOT want to consider a bay cruise and Kenai Fjords boat tour separately. The Kenai Fjords boat tours, go through the BAY on all their tours. You want a single boat trip of at least 6 hours on the water. Seward is a "dead end" take a look at a map.

You will definately have daylight on the train to Anchorage. But pick up your car the next day, by time you transfer to your hotel and back and forth to the airport it will be midnight. :)

Again, get yourself a map, you are confusing areas and directions. Talkeetna is 100 miles from Anchorage, Denali Park national park 240. I would not spend two nights at Talkeetna, and you will need a night at the Denali park area- IF you are planning on the shuttle bus into the park the next day. You are 150 miles away if you stay in Talkeetna. So not a good choice.

Going to Fairbanks, you need the car, it is a big spread out city, rent it until you leave. There will be no savings with cab fares likely needed.

I would also plan on the next day leaving, if taking an Arctic tour. These frequently return late evening. Which is my preference over the 5am tours. :)

Archived