Walking around Cabo matzalan to downtown shopping areas

Princess1963

First, I will point out that, at least for now, we all as cruisers will have a lot less freedom with shore excursions due to Corona (and not the kind we're used to in Mexico 😉).  Part of the health and safety regulations in the US and other countries I'm sure will require that people are allowed to leave the ship on tightly controlled ship-sponsored excursions.  So we won't be able to wander around like in the past (for now...).

In Cabo, it is a tender, but from the tender you could walk to downtown shopping (and there is some other shopping that's not exactly downtown but is closer and was sufficient for what we were looking for) though depending on where you're going downtown it's a bit of a hike.  In Mazatlan, you're in a shipyard and you will have to get some sort of ground transportation to get to the downtown area.  Same for Puerto Vallarta, even though the downtown area is closer.  But both are not a long drive or very expensive cab/Uber away.  

I do not know what restrictions might be imposed by the cruise ship or the port authorities under Covid. 

However, in Cabo, the tender brings passengers to the Marina, which has numerous tourist shops,, liquor vendors, farmacies, restaurants and cafes.  The walk to the touristy bars (Cabo Wabo, Giggling Marlin, etc.) is not bad, but there are taxis and pedicabs available.

In Mazatlan, the local authorities have painted a blue line on the street, marking the route from the cruise passenger terminal to downtown.  It is about a mile and a half or so, very safe.  Pre-Covid, there were police and tourist helpers -- mostly ex-pat American and Canadians, native English speakers -- in the Passenger Terminal and along the route, to help you.  Mazatlan has a huge number of golf carts available as taxis at reasonable rates, to take passengers to downtown or to the Golden Zone.

• 2 months later...

Agree with the above:

Cabo easily walkable once you get off the tender.

Mazatlan there were golf cart type shuttles from pier to the market area downtown.

Puerto Vallarta walk out to the main street and we usually take a public bus to downtown and on the return we watch for and take the bus that says Walmart which is just across the street from where the ship docks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 7:02 PM, Ashland said:

Agree with the above:

Cabo easily walkable once you get off the tender.

Mazatlan there were golf cart type shuttles from pier to the market area downtown.

Puerto Vallarta walk out to the main street and we usually take a public bus to downtown and on the return we watch for and take the bus that says Walmart which is just across the street from where the ship docks.

There used to be Golf Carts to rent in Mazatlan. Do you remember if they are still there? I'm a little old for the walk now days 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Peckishpixie said:

There used to be Golf Carts to rent in Mazatlan. Do you remember if they are still there? I'm a little old for the walk now days 

I have never seen them for rent.  Only as taxis -- which I have rented (with the driver) by the hour.

• Thanks 1