Vaccines for travel to Asia

Cleckie

My husband and I are hoping to go on cruise in November to Asia. We both got the hep A vaccine 5 years ago before going on a Mediterranean cruise. Can anyone tell me if there are any vaccines required of it just voluntary? Thanks in advance for any information.

Carol and David

19 hours ago, Cleckie said:

My husband and I are hoping to go on cruise in November to Asia. 

Are you on Explorer? We are doing Explorer from Tokyo to Sydney in Nov.  We have the first Covid shot, should get the second in a couple of weeks.  Hoping the vaccine will be widespread enough that the cruise will go. 🤞

31 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Are you on Explorer? We are doing Explorer from Tokyo to Sydney in Nov.  We have the first Covid shot, should get the second in a couple of weeks.  Hoping the vaccine will be widespread enough that the cruise will go. 🤞

Yes we are on explorer Tokyo to Singapore with the 3 day pre cruise Tokyo tour first. Unfortunately we have not been eligible to get the vaccine yet, but hoping to have it by late spring or early summer. We have never been on Regent and are really hoping it goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleckie said:

Yes we are on explorer Tokyo to Singapore with the 3 day pre cruise Tokyo tour first. Unfortunately we have not been eligible to get the vaccine yet, but hoping to have it by late spring or early summer. We have never been on Regent and are really hoping it goes. 

You'll love Regent.  We did our first cruise on Mariner in 2018 and were sold!  Hopefully all will be under control and we'll be talking about this last year as we sail out of Yokohama in Nov.! 

Based on numerous experiences traveling via Regent to specific parts of the World where obtaining the proper vaccination and/or inoculation can become a requirement before boarding--

Consider we are in The Age of COVID.  

Specifics:  Pre-COVID. 

Amazon River.  May 2017 aboard Navigator.  Yellow Fever.  From the onset, our seasoned Travel Agent (TA) and Regent documents advised of need to obtain a Yellow Fever inoculation.  Therefore, planning as to medical issues/requirements began a year earlier.  This was based on medical histories for wife and self.  Should anyone care to dredge up this chronology--there is a Navigator Roll Call Thread on that cruise segment which may still be retrievable. 

Regent's requirement:  Either have proof of inoculation, or a letter from Physician why such could not be obtained due to an ongoing medical situation.  Such would be required as a condition of boarding.  Considering the amount paid for this unique experience--the last thing we wanted to experience at Miami before boarding was trying to 'cut a corner and save a few bucks by not conforming. 

Therefore:  Based on the itinerary which included Devils' Island, had a Physician at Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, WA (a Hospital at which my wife spent 20+ years as a R.N. in various capacities before retirement) with specific qualifications in Tropical Diseases review Regent's complete itinerary as well as our past medical situations--plus checking the latest international WHO medical advisories.  My history went back almost 50 years to Vietnam--and Malaria.    

A series of shots followed in addition to Yellow Fever.   These included, as needed,  Hep I and II.  Plus Typhus; plus being furnished with sufficient malaria pills to carry us to, while transiting, and exiting The Greatest River in the World!  We each obtained a Yellow Vaccination Record Card, properly filled-out and time-stamped from the Hospital.  Those Cards were then stapled into our Passports.  

BTW:  Should you be so-inclined after the current COVID-19 situation is contained, highly recommend taking an Amazon River cruise--on Regent.  But, as usual, I digress.   

At Miami:  Check-in at the Terminal INCLUDED confirmation as to Yellow Fever.  Do not know, or care to know, if anyone else on that particular segment was denied boarding due to inability to present proper documentation.  Passports returned; photos obtained; Suite cards issued, and on to Navigator for a nice lunch.  

BOTTOM LINE:  Stay in touch with your Travel Agent (if applicable) and/or Regent as to specific medical requirements for a particular segment.   These requirements can change!  You must factor into the timeline before departure from home time needed to conform with, and obtain medical documentation which will be checked at Port of Embarkation.   

Given our current situation--Regent will not give any slack.  No documentation; no boarding.  

Stay safe.   Wife and self (after having three 2020-2021 Regent cruises already canceled) still hold hope of boarding Mariner at Barcelona on October 31st for transit to Miami.  

GOARMY!

On 1/20/2021 at 11:20 PM, Cleckie said:

Thanks. I am planning on getting the covid vaccine no matter what, but wasn't sure about things like yellow fever. Again, thanks

Yellow fever, as far as I know, is the only vaccine that is required in some countries.  You should check to see if that's true of any countries you'll visit on your cruise.  It can also depend on whether you have visited parts of South America within a particular number of years, areas like the Amazonian Brazil, where YF is prevalent.  But I don't believe that Asia actually has YF itself, so if you've been to the Amazon or any other endemic areas (Africa?), you should check with the individual countries you're going to visit.

We were unable to call at either of the Samoan islands on our Navigator cruise in January 2020 as there was a measles outbreak on them and there were insufficient people onboard who had been vaccinated against measles. I know that your question refers to vaccines required for Asia, but the point I’m making is that it’s worthwhile checking on government websites too. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We're doing a 48 day B2B from Sydney to Tokyo in Jan 2022 and need two visas.  One is for Australia: an Electronic Travel Authorization which can be acquired online and the other is for Vietnam, which can be acquired from the Vietnamese consulate in your area.  For us, our TA arranged for a visa service provided by Regent.