How Will Cruising Rebuild In North America?

SelectSys

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I would expect RCI and other cruise holding companies to be engaging vendors on the open market.  I am sure the Russians will want the hard currency from the lines.  The Indians have large manufacturing volumes and may also being willing to sell.  Who knows, maybe even some of the previously purchased vaccines by the first world governments that get donated to other governments will get diverted into the private market.

Yep, I'm sure companies like TUI who have a large investment in ships, aircraft and hotels, won't be sitting on their hands. There's got to be a gray market out there, looking for customers.

Agreed, the following link shows India to be well geared up for producing the stuff. India also supplies loads of crew to the cruise industry, although this may be of little benefit to Gov as most lines flag in tax-free havens 🙂

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/11/india-prepares-for-covid-vaccine-roll-out-from-saturday 

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

India also supplies loads of crew to the cruise industry, although this may be of little benefit to Gov as most lines flag in tax-free havens 

I think the main value to these governments are the remittances of money back to  the home country by workers including cruise ship staff.  It could be these remittances will skew vaccine distribution in these countries to preferred workers or groups like it has in California.

Here is an article discussing the importance of remittances to the Philippine economy during COVID.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Philippine-remittances-come-in-at-29.9bn-defying-COVID