Leaving Batteries in Cameras?

billandsue

I have three Sony cameras, all of which use the same Lithium battery, NP-FW50.  I also have several chargers, so the batteries are being charged when they are not in the cameras.  My question is this:  sometimes I go for several weeks to a month without taking photos, particularly during long periods of inclement weather.  During these periods of time, should I leave the batteries in the cameras, or remove them?  I know that alkaline batteries should be removed during periods of inactivity, since they can corrode the terminals in the camera, but I am not sure about leaving Lithium batteries in the camera.

In general, there should be no problems leaving lithium batteries in cameras.  There may be some cameras which can take a little extra draw even when turned off, so the batteries may go dead a little sooner than if they're out (not in all cases - depends on whether certain apps, or features such as wifi left on, cause some additional power-off draw).  But it still should be a matter of months, not days.

Cameras usually have a small internal battery to keep settings, clock, etc when no battery is in...this battery can occasionally die and a camera left without battery for months can need to be reset again once charged back up.  I find I prefer leaving the main battery in, as it prevents this likelihood for a longer time.

I recently charged up a Sony RX10 camera that had been sitting unused (with the battery in) for about a year...it did have to have the clock reset, but saved all the memory settings and such.  It was a camera I bought for my stepfather to use on all his cruises, which obviously for the past year he hasn't taken any...so his camera had been idle all that time...I borrowed it back from him just to charge it up and use it a bit, to keep it in shape.  I brought it along on my birding and wildlife shoots as a backup camera for scenics and landscapes.

What he said....

Lithium batteries won't corrode like alkalines and while I seldom go more than a week or so without using my main camera or two for the other one, I would have no concern leaving the batteries in them for extended periods. 

Just an FYI. I did have an NP-FW50 battery swell to the point I couldn't insert it into my A6300. It was an off-brand and I have since replaced my spares with Sony batteries lest that sort of swelling happened to a battery in the camera and become a problem to remove.

Dave