upgrading cabins before my cruise

I have booked two cruises -- one in a Superior Suite for a short Caribbean cruise in December 202 and Penthouse Suite for a longer Asia cruise in March 2022. 

1.  What options do I have to upgrade both cabins as I get closer to sailing?

2.  What is the best time to seek an upgrade?

3.  Do I try to upgrade through my travel agent or attempt to contact Regent directly?

Thanks much for your advice.

Aloha MiamiCruiser,

At the fear of stating the obvious, if the desired cabin is not waitlisted, your TA should be able to negotiate the new accommodations any time before embarkation.  The cost will be the difference between the two cabins.

If you're referring to an complimentary or reduced cost upgrade for a higher cabin, those usually become available in the final days or weeks of the pre-cruise period.  Sometimes as close to sailing that you're already in the embarkation port.   Those are almost always offered through your TA, and they are perishable in that most or all TAs get them simultaneously and first-come-first-serve.

The savings may be substantial or may equate closer to the difference between the advertised costs of the cabins.   Check closely before jumping if that is a concern. 

Depending on the ship you're sailing on, the Penthouse Suites are quite nice.    DaETChief

DaETChief:  Very helpful. Thanks. Obviously, if I can get a price break on an upgrade, that is preferable.  I was surmising that empty  premium cabins near the cruise date might be available for upgrade at a reduced price, but maybe I'm just being naively hopeful.

19 hours ago, MiamiCruiser52 said:

DaETChief:  Very helpful. Thanks. Obviously, if I can get a price break on an upgrade, that is preferable.  I was surmising that empty  premium cabins near the cruise date might be available for upgrade at a reduced price, but maybe I'm just being naively hopeful.

The term is upsell.  As cruises get close to sailings upsells do occur when suites are available and yes the upsell price is less than the difference in fares.  It is normally not something you do.  It is Regent who sends an or makes a phone call to your TA who then contacts you.  As was said they are time critical and usually only a matter of minutes or hours before they will move to someone else.  It might hekp by telling your TA that you are interested in an upsell.   Free upgrades are extremely few if they even occur as Regent can usually fill the ship with upsells.

UPSELL!  That was the term I was searching for and I couldn't recall.  Thanks

In addition to upsales, there are other calls you can expect from your TA where Regent offers an upgrade to a superior suite if you give up your current suite/cruise and sail on a future itinerary.

I received one of those offers while I was riding 'On the Coach' headed from the hotel in Stockholm going to the Explorer.   OK, let me think...  No!

If you did not book into the categories you have, you might look into taking advantage of the 2-category upgrade offer that expires at the end of February. It would amount to cancelling your current booking and re-booking under the offer. That could result in you losing the price and whatever benefits you received when you initially booked, but it could be worth your while.