Another Caution With Lift and Shift- and receipts in general

Bucket29

I decided to take the option of a Lift and Shift for a July 2021 sailing to Alaska- moved it to July 2022 (two cabins of 3 people each, with a FCC being moved for the deposit).  Rep told me it would be price protected except for port taxes and fees- which she estimated to be around $ 34 more per person (estimating to be about

$ 100 more per cabin for 2022). She told me it would take about 24 hours to receive my new cruise vacation receipt because of the FCC.

The following morning I received the receipt via email and it was appx. $ 600 more per cabin.  I called RC and the rep could not explain the increase- she said they were applying the FCC differently to the fare, therefore, I could not line item the amounts to understand how they were getting the increase- when I asked her to add up the numbers on her end- we "got disconnected".  I called back and the next rep put me on hold for awhile but came back and said they had accidentally double charged my port taxes and fees... and she corrected it.  It still did not explain the $ 600 increase but it got fixed.

Bottom line- I'm gathering 2022 receipts from lift and shifts may be tricky to reconcile with 2021reciepts, so watch your total balance due closely.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bucket29 said:

I decided to take the option of a Lift and Shift for a July 2021 sailing to Alaska- moved it to July 2022 (two cabins of 3 people each, with a FCC being moved for the deposit).  Rep told me it would be price protected except for port taxes and fees- which she estimated to be around $ 34 more per person (estimating to be about

$ 100 more per cabin for 2022). She told me it would take about 24 hours to receive my new cruise vacation receipt because of the FCC.

The following morning I received the receipt via email and it was appx. $ 600 more per cabin.  I called RC and the rep could not explain the increase- she said they were applying the FCC differently to the fare, therefore, I could not line item the amounts to understand how they were getting the increase- when I asked her to add up the numbers on her end- we "got disconnected".  I called back and the next rep put me on hold for awhile but came back and said they had accidentally double charged my port taxes and fees... and she corrected it.  It still did not explain the $ 600 increase but it got fixed.

Bottom line- I'm gathering 2022 receipts from lift and shifts may be tricky to reconcile with 2021reciepts, so watch your total balance due closely.   

The problem is definitely the taxes.  I’ve done 6 Alaska lift and shifts and every one had some insane amount for the taxes.  Very easily fixed.

I moved my May 1 cruise out of Italy two weeks ago (not lift and shift).  The rep sent me the confirmation while I was still on the phone and the port charges were $200 more than was online and what we discussed on the phone.  He tried to get someone online to fix it and then I got disconnected.  I had to call back and spoke with someone else, and it took a 45 minute hold for him to get someone to fix it.  It all worked out though.

We had the same tax issue when we moved our Alaska, May 2021 to June 2022.  We did not have a FCC to apply.  Did finally get the issue resolved but at the time the rep we spoke with tried to convince me the port taxes had gone up that much and there wasn't anything that could be done.

@Bucket29 It might be due to their accounting methods. On Celebrity (same parent company as RC) we decided last May or June to L&S our cruise from this past November to next October.

The rep warned us our first receipt would show the higher price that was in effect for the cruise for new bookings, but that his supervisors (or someone in adjustments or wherever) would manually override the price to our existing one.

We were nervous after receiving the higher receipt but he was correct--the new one followed about a week later and we were all set.

That happened early in the L&S offers, though, and I would have expected those procedures should have been streamlined by now!

Anyway, you may want to make sure you send emails reminding them of your proper booking price. I suspect it will go through.

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@Bucket29 It might be due to their accounting methods. On Celebrity (same parent company as RC) we decided last May or June to L&S our cruise from this past November to next October.

The rep warned us our first receipt would show the higher price that was in effect for the cruise for new bookings, but that his supervisors (or someone in adjustments or wherever) would manually override the price to our existing one.

We were nervous after receiving the higher receipt but he was correct--the new one followed about a week later and we were all set.

That happened early in the L&S offers, though, and I would have expected those procedures should have been streamlined by now!

Anyway, you may want to make sure you send emails reminding them of your proper booking price. I suspect it will go through.

This is a different issue.  The issue you described was with the cruise fare and it took someone to manually  price protect it.

This  issue is with the taxes being doubled. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is a different issue.  The issue you described was with the cruise fare and it took someone to manually  price protect it.

This  issue is with the taxes being doubled. 

I misread the first post. Somehow missed the sentences about it being fixed. I somehow got the impression that the tax issue may have been an unadjusted effect of a price for the transferred booking that initially had been higher but was corrected. The rep not knowing why it happened fed that impression.

Kind of like when you go get a price adjustment at Lowe's when an item you previously bought goes on sale, and they correct the price but don't remember to recalculate the sales tax, and you have to go back again..... 

Thanks!

• Like 1