Flip and Sail Rip Off?

freedom750

Our 2021Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC in May hasn't been cancelled by RC but with little hope of it going to happen, I took my travel agent's advice to take the Flip and Sail offer.  They booked us for the same cruise exactly one year later and said that it will be the same price with the same perks.  They said there could be a small increase in Taxes if that changes but other than that it's just a flip of dates.

Today my travel agent and I had a discussion and then a long wait as she called RC to find out what was going on.  My cruise rate was the same but the tax/fees went up $758 (for the two of us).  I did a check on a new booking and the tax from 2021 and 2022 were almost the same.  Is it really a flip and sail if they charge you $758 as a fee to change the date?   Is this the normal practice or ??  I called RC but they said they can't talk to me because I used a travel agent.  Thanks for any help out there.

Bob

11 minutes ago, freedom750 said:

Our 2021Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC in May hasn't been cancelled by RC but with little hope of it going to happen, I took my travel agent's advice to take the Flip and Sail offer.  They booked us for the same cruise exactly one year later and said that it will be the same price with the same perks.  They said there could be a small increase in Taxes if that changes but other than that it's just a flip of dates.

Today my travel agent and I had a discussion and then a long wait as she called RC to find out what was going on.  My cruise rate was the same but the tax/fees went up $758 (for the two of us).  I did a check on a new booking and the tax from 2021 and 2022 were almost the same.  Is it really a flip and sail if they charge you $758 as a fee to change the date?   Is this the normal practice or ??  I called RC but they said they can't talk to me because I used a travel agent.  Thanks for any help out there.

Bob

The taxes and fees from your first booking will be refunded to you in the next 90 days or so.  You were charged the taxes and fees for your 2022 cruise.  Taxes fees and anything extra booked on board cannot be shifted.

If taxes and fees for Alaska are now over $700pp on a 7 day cruise, bookings will slow

13 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The taxes and fees from your first booking will be refunded to you in the next 90 days or so.  You were charged the taxes and fees for your 2022 cruise.  Taxes fees and anything extra booked on board cannot be shifted.

If taxes and fees for Alaska are now over $700pp on a 7 day cruise, bookings will slow

I only have the deposit paid so there won't be any tax refunded.  

34 minutes ago, freedom750 said:

Bob

This is a known error.  You need to have your TA call back and get them adjusted.  All 7 of the cruises that I have moved from 21 to 22 went up an average of $10 to $15 per person.

Your TA should have caught that before sending you the invoice. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

Check with your travel agent to see that the taxes and fees were not double counted. That seems to be a common error. It happened to me too, and is easily fixed.

It sounds like this may be the case for me.  Hopefully it's as simple as that.  That would make it $25 per person more which makes sense.

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is a known error.  You need to have your TA call back and get them adjusted.  All 7 of the cruises that I have moved from 21 to 22 went up an average of $10 to $15 per person.

Your TA should have caught that before sending you the invoice. 

Not all TA's are created equal.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also lifted and shifted for Alaska to 2022 and when I called to get my new invoice because it wasn’t automatically sent the rep at RCI said she wanted to check all the figures first.  She said that my taxes and port fees were about doubled and that they needed to be adjusted. I ended up paying $1.07 more for each of us due to the change in taxes and port fees.  I am sure yours just need to be adjusted.