Choosing a segment

sjde

We are thinking of joining a world cruise for a segment but all 4 look good.  So hard to choose! I'm wondering if anyone could give us some input, like maybe which ports are the most scenic or awesome or really wowed you for whatever reason I might add that I usually like small quaint places more .Food and photography are key.  In bold are the places we've already been . I think the ones that interest me the most are Australia & New Zealand, Thailand and Croatia,  maybe Venice. 

30 nt
16 sea days- HonoluluKuaui (Nawiliwili) , Tahiti (Papeete), Bora Bora, Samoa (Pago Pago),  6 New Zealand (Bay of Islands,  Auckland,  Tauranga,  Picton, Wellington,  New Plymouth) and Sydney

26 nts,  16 sea days
Sydney & 4 Australia (Moreton Island,  Airlie Beach,  Cairns,  Darwin), Indonesia (Komodo Island), Singapore, Malaysia (Langkawi), Thailand (Phuket), Sri Lanka(Colombo) , Dubai (Mina Qaboos)

17 nts, 9 sea days including 2 Suez canal, 1 day Gulf of Aden, Red Sea
Dubai, Oman(Muscat/Mina Qaboos),  Israel (Bethlehem, Jerusalem),  Jordan (Aqaba for Petra), Turkey (Kusadasi), Greece (Gythion for Sparta), Venice

25 nts, 10 sea days (the most port heavy)
Venice, Slovenia (Koper), Croatia (Split), Montenegro (Kotor) , Malta (Valetta), Italy (Catania for Capri & Pompeii), Italy (Sorrento) , Italy (Civitavecchia)  Monaco (Monte Carlo),  France (Marseilles), Spain (Barcelona),  Spain (Malaga), Morocco (Casablanca), Spain (Canary Islands- Arrecife/Lanzarote, La Palma)

Appreciate any suggestions!

20 hours ago, sjde said:

30 nt

16 sea days- HonoluluKuaui (Nawiliwili) , Tahiti (Papeete), Bora Bora, Samoa (Pago Pago),  6 New Zealand (Bay of Islands,  Auckland,  Tauranga,  Picton, Wellington,  New Plymouth) and Sydney

This would be my preference of the segments that you listed.  Photography opportunities, food, and culture:  all there in those ports.  I have visited all of the ports of New Zealand that you listed except for New Plymouth.  Another visit to all of them would be most welcome by me.  

20 hours ago, sjde said:
26 nts,  16 sea days
Sydney & 4 Australia (Moreton Island,  Airlie Beach,  Cairns,  Darwin), Indonesia (Komodo Island), Singapore, Malaysia (Langkawi), Thailand (Phuket), Sri Lanka(Colombo) , Dubai (Mina Qaboos)

This would be my #2, but not by much over the next one I have listed.  Several ports that I have not visited mixed with favorites such as Sydney, Cairns, Darwin, and Singapore.

20 hours ago, sjde said:
Venice, Slovenia (Koper), Croatia (Split), Montenegro (Kotor) , Malta (Valetta), Italy (Catania for Capri & Pompeii), Italy (Sorrento) , Italy (Civitavecchia)  Monaco (Monte Carlo),  France (Marseilles), Spain (Barcelona),  Spain (Malaga), Morocco (Casablanca), Spain (Canary Islands- Arrecife/Lanzarote, La Palma)

Choice #2a is this one for me.  Have visited Venice, Malta, Italy, Monaco, Barcelona, Malaga, Morocco:  all worth a return visit.  France:  the southern port Royal Princess docked was nor Marseilles, maybe Nice?  Not sure;  but I remember a tour to St. Paul de Vence that was full of photographic opportunities along with culture leavened with delicious French pastries and wine.  

21 hours ago, sjde said:
Dubai, Oman(Muscat/Mina Qaboos),  Israel (Bethlehem, Jerusalem),  Jordan (Aqaba for Petra), Turkey (Kusadasi), Greece (Gythion for Sparta), Venice

The least attractive itineraries for me.  Do your enjoy views of sand?  Monochromatic color of tan?  This itinerary will fulfill your enjoyment.  The probable most interesting ports to me would be Kusadasi and the ports of Israel along with another visit to Venice.  Have not been to the other ports; have sailed through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal.  (There are no locks in the Suez Canal, so the views are of the sandy countryside of Egypt with military posts visible along with a few views of villages along the Canal so that one can get a glimpse of how the people live.)  

It's fun to try to choose, isn't it!

22 hours ago, sjde said:

We are thinking of joining a world cruise for a segment but all 4 look good.  So hard to choose! I'm wondering if anyone could give us some input, like maybe which ports are the most scenic or awesome or really wowed you for whatever reason I might add that I usually like small quaint places more .Food and photography are key.  In bold are the places we've already been . I think the ones that interest me the most are Australia & New Zealand, Thailand and Croatia,  maybe Venice. 

30 nt

26 nts,  16 sea days

Appreciate any suggestions!

With the exception of segment # 4, I have visited almost all of the ports before, but still enjoy returning to many of them.

First Choice - Segment # 1: Hawaii to Sydney

This segment is well scheduled with about 5 sea days between Hawaii & Papeete. This permits time to settle in, learn the ship and develop friendships with crew & fellow pax. You also have an opportunity to develop a routine.

After the initial sea days, you will have 2 port days, followed by probably 2 more sea days, a port day, then probably 3 sea days to Bay of Islands. A brilliant and relaxed schedule to start a month long cruise.

Around NZ, it will be a port each day, with hopefully at least 1 overnight. NZ was my first trip to sea and it is one of my favourite countries. Have been in all the ports, but happy to go back.

After a busy 6 or 7 days you will then have 2 or 3 days to relax before arrival Sydney, which is one of my favourite arrivals. Definitely worth spending additional days post cruise.

Downside is the long flight home.

2nd Choice - Segment # 4: Venice to Spain

This segment has 9 new ports for me, hence the high priority. Venice, similar to Sydney is an amazing arrival or departure. It is also worth spending days pre-cruise. The only Adriatic port we used was Dubrovnik, so the first 3 ports are new to me. Valetta is another amazing arrival, much shorter than Sydney/Venice, but definitely scenic. With the exception of Rome, the other Italian ports are also new, as are Morocco and the Spanish ports.

Not as relaxing as segment 1, but no Meddy itinerary is relaxing.

3rd Choice - Segment # 2: Sydney to Dubai

Per segment 1, Sydney is worth a few days pre-cruise and is an amazing departure. Reasonable choice of Australian ports, but unfortunately they didn't include Townsville. The SE Asia portion is very weak, with lots of great ports being missed. With the length of flights, I would want more exposure in SE Asia.

Downside - long flights pre/post cruise

4th Choice - Sement # 3: Dubai to Venice

Been to all the ports and also have a number of transits through Suez, which is little more than the ditch through the desert. Definitely not the Panama Canal. Petra is great, but it is a long, really hot day and no desire to do it again.

Thanks. that gives me some interesting perspectives. I have loved almost every place I've visited but though I'd love to go back to many,  it's not a high prioroity when there are so many new places to see and only so much time!

27 minutes ago, sjde said:

A friend who did a world cruise said Petra was her 2nd favorite place. (After The Great Wall). But we all have different interests. 

Affirmative, Petra was amazing day and although I prefer heat over cold, it was a really, really hot day. In preparation, I had a backpack starting with at least 6 UK pints - not the small US equivalent. The hike out is all uphill, so when I reached the restaurant, even with that much water, I was well dehydrated.

I did climb up the stairs and reached the colonnade, so covered a considerable distance.

Definitely recommended for a first time visit, but for us don't see a need to return. That segment had very few places worth returning.

8 hours ago, sjde said:

A friend who did a world cruise said Petra was her 2nd favorite place. (After The Great Wall). But we all have different interests. 

The Great Wall!  So many venues in China that are special in my memory.  Alas, those are not on any of your itinerary choices.